Tour Of My Home Studio

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by nickeax, Jul 3, 2008.

1. nickeax

nickeax (Banned or Deleted)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2008
  2. aface

aface Member

Nice. What is the model of drum machine your using? I'll probably be looking for one in the near future. How easy is it to create a decent sounding drum track with it?

Cheers
    Alex

3. OP
    OP
    nickeax

It's a Dr-880 mate. It's a powerful drum module, with half decent sequencing onboard, although I doubt anyone would ever use that! Each sound is three level multi-sampled which is good enough for most applications. I also find the pads are good to play live on, but that's not recommended for any series work. LOL

The other good thing about the DR-880 is it's bass module and built in COSM effects. You can plug a guitar or bass in the front and use the great amp modeling for jamming or trying out ideas. The bass module itself sounds really good, you could use it as a bass in a recording if you don't own a bass etc.

4. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

not bad. If you don't mind, what would your estimate for it all be about? the recording gear, not inc. pedals. etc.

How was your set up when you were using your computers, were you running it through a USB interface off a mixer?

I have to start putting together my studio for recording my drums for uni. I'll be recording onto my mac though.

5. OP
    OP
    nickeax

When I used computers, I used an Emu 1620m soundcard and it gave very nice results. Your best bet would probably be a Pro Tools Le system for pain free operation with the Mac, but that's my limited opinion.

Or... Buy some other audio interface like one of these.

For drums, I'd recommend grabbing two or three of SM-57s for about $140.00 each and see how you go. There are other more expensive capacitor mics available, but my advice would be to get out there and make some music FIRST. :) Don't get caught up in mics and preamps and converters, IMHO.

Recording is a very large and complicated hobby with many, many variables. Once you have mucked around for a while with good gear (as I described above), you will begin to learn the fundamentals and you'll also gain a very good idea of what you really need.

Gear is very often not the cause of poor recordings!

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just an old bloke who has picked up some information along the way, and I can now see how I could have done things better. :)

6. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

You can get surprisingly good results just running Garage Band and a half-decent interface. Any Pro Tools package IMO is kinda overboard for an independent home-recording setup, and only really worth shooting for if you already use it elsewhere.

7. OP
    OP
    nickeax

Yeah, I think that's what I really meant. The only thing to look out for is number of inputs on the audio interface, for drums. The cheapest option would be a two channel interface like the Tascam US-122 and a Behringer mixer for making a stereo sub-mix of the drums. You can't use this method if you need to keep the drums each on their own track though, of course.

Search for basic drum miccing techniques, there's heaps of info out there on the Internet. :)

8. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

Yeah, i've done plenty of home recording, First time with mac, and was seeing if you had any specific interface you were using. I've used an M-box on PC before and in Logic Studio before, and even then it was already set to go! Recording drums is a challenge, as they are the loudest acoustically it's hard to get it with good levels.

9. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Thanks for the tour Nickeax

10. the_original271

the_original271 (Banned or Deleted)

Nice tour, decent home studio. Was that a Rode mic? Love the SM-57 too, the most versatile mic ever made. If the amp is stereo I'd suggest to mic it with 2 mic's.

11. OP
    OP
    nickeax

No worries!

Yes that was an NT1-a. I also use an NTK, although not very often. The NT1-a just works really well with anything at all, IMHO. That amp is not stereo and it only has one meager speaker!

12. Silenius

Silenius Member

Man, quite a lot of gear. Your wallet must hurt :p

Oh man, a big muff. Would like one of those.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  13. Roundtable

Roundtable Member

Oh man, an SPX-90! I haven't seen one of those in about 20 years! I remember when I first saw/used one it blew my mind. Up until then most effects units did one thing and one thing only. They were either compressors or reverb units or delays or... you get the idea.

Thanks from me also Nickeax. Makes me want to set all my gear up again. I'd been playing and recording for almost 35 years up until about 2 years ago when the rest of life just started to intrude too much. Oh how I miss it...

14. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

I've got a SPX 90 lying around work somewhere, must say for basic verbs & stuff there is little difference between the 90, 900, 990 and 1000, favourite drum plate reverb ever. The SPX 2000 however rocks, only took them 10 years to do an upgrade hehe.

15. BlackTigerTech

BlackTigerTech (Banned or Deleted)

Woah, nice amount of gear there!:thumbup:

Just a quick question, but how long did you do production on the Mac and any reason why you stopped and went the separate gear/hardware way? Very interested!:)

16. OP
    OP
    nickeax

I've never owned a Mac. I went to hardware because I'm a simplistic person with very little relevance in the real world.

17. Pugs

Pugs Member

yeah nice set up , bit messy esp with all the mic leads on the floor and not "wrapped" around the mic stands or using the very handy clips that come with new ones..

also your main vocal mic is upside down..lol :p:rolleyes:;) tho can be used that way most studio guys have them up the other way....

18. BlackTigerTech

BlackTigerTech (Banned or Deleted)

Oh Ok...I thought you maybe would have had enough of fiddling with plugins etc...:thumbup: