Townsville?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by imgod22222, Jun 28, 2017.

1. imgod22222

imgod22222 Member

I'm going to be in Townsville next week for a week. It'll be my first visit to AUS and is paid for by work; what would anyone recommend for me to do after my work day?
    Lastly: Any suggestions for a data plan SIM card would be cool; it seems like Telstra is my only option

2. josh_676

josh_676 Member

Go rent a motorbike or scooter on magnetic island. Really cool place.

3. mmBax

mmBax Member

For a week. Afternoons only after work? How long will you have?

I guess the walk up castle hill, billabong sanctuary and the reef HQ. All the standard trip advisor places if you're stuck with limited time.

Maybe some island visits, but thats entirely time dependant. Same with day trips, Wallaman Falls is up that way, but if it's not wet that wouldn't be too exciting either.

As for the SIM, check this out.
    https://www.whistleout.com.au/MobilePhones/Guides/Best-phone-plans-for-travellers-in-Australia

Telstra will be your dearest option but has the best coverage.
    So anything using the Telstra network will be great, ALDI Mobile or Woolworths mobile. In Townsville, Woolworths Mobile you may be able to source easily from a Woolworths (supermarket)

Otherwise Boost is fine.

4. Bombster

Bombster Member

If your into motor sport V8's are on this weekend as well (7-9 July). Strand night markets are also on this friday night (7th).

5. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Hey man, a member for 11 years and never been here, welcome to Oz :thumbup:

I'm not sure on winter for water related stuff but there are reef cruises, jet ski tours, fishing.

I took my family to Cairns and Port Douglas last year, a highlight for us was exploring in the hire car. We did the mountain road up to Atherton then drove the inland road to Mount Molloy then down to Port Douglas. Driving the Daintree was awesome fun too. These might be too far from Townsville but my point is if you can get a car and go get a feel for the place it will leave lasting memories for you. The lush greenery, plantations and such are beautiful with lots of photography options like river crossings and lakes.

I hope that helps.

Cheers.

:)

6. OP
    OP
    imgod22222

imgod22222 Member

Thank you, everyone! I've since left Australia. It was really cool
    Thanks for your suggestions: I went to Magnetic Island, the Billabong Sanctuary, Castle Hill, and a few short hikes. I couldn't find a MTB rental (Mt. Stuart has some courses, but the people I asked said most people in Townsville own their things; there isn't a large 'renting' market) I found it interesting that AUS news talks about the US a lot--I don't think I ever heard of AUS politics in the US.
    And for someone who doesn't really care to watch sports, the Game of Origin was probably the most interesting sport I've ever seen
    It was really cool and Australians seems significantly nicer and more engaging than most Americans.
    I could go on--my thoughts seem unorganized. Again, thank you for your help!