TPG 500GB plan..no catch

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by davidw89, May 30, 2008.

1. davidw89

davidw89 Member

These plans are coming out:
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=985407
    They cost an extra $10 per month over the Super Plan 2+ which i am using.
    Currently 150GB is plenty for me..BUT IF I GET 500GB PLAN lol @@ storage space needed
    raid 5 10x1tb :d
    what do u guys think?
    les i hope minimum 40gb off peak

2. HeXa

HeXa Member

holy shit nice.... paying $79.95 now for unlimited 512k (good for 120GB/month) because I am stuck in an area without any shirt-term hope of TPG enabled exchange

time to move house :p

3. Paul Warren

Paul Warren Member

Time to download the interwebs.

4. scruff

scruff RIP

WTF would you download?

I struggle to use 10gb a month..

5. sven222

sven222 Member

Bah, why can't they up the quotas on their ADSL1 plans? Not everyone can get ADSL2+.

6. OP
    OP
    davidw89

davidw89 Member

I am currently on 150gb plan..it's been great for me..lets hope this plan will stay that way.
    I can say i am one of the few people who are able to actually download 150GB per month..(utorrent schedule download between 3am-9am). The problem with 500GB is hard drive space..going to have to spend a few grand on raid 5 x lots of hard drive.

+1 to TPG ..they were to first ISP to offer high download plans so it looks like they are continuing this path.

IMHO i don't think many ppl will be able to download 500gb.

7. Doug11

Doug11 Member

I think they are getting desperate. There was an article in the Australian earlier this week that called them "TWO.TEL" due to all of their problems and their merger with SOUL.

I hope they don't go the same way as previous ISP's like Koala who offered plans that seemed too good to be true.

I have been told by people in the industry that the cost via the Southern Cross Link to the US is about $2 p.m. per gb. So 500gb will be costing them $1,000 p.m. !!!!
    Not a real strong business model for longevity in my opinion.

8. HeXa

HeXa Member

for me.... 350 & 700 MB TV episodes. Only really watch news and a bit of other local content broadcast, the rest I dl and watch when I want, whenever I want from the HTPC :)

9. Whisper

Whisper Member

10. yoda123

yoda123 Member

The catch is you need to be in a TPG ADSL2 area

QQ

11. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

+ $100 of HDD every month :shock:

That's incredible amounts of bandwidth, i'd love to have a crack :D

12. scruff

scruff RIP

Even so... 700mb eps... can you really download and watch 500 tv episodes a month? There's only 2 or 3 watchable shows out there at the moment..

Is there really any point to collecting stuff like ALBANIAS EXTREME STOLEN CARS 4 or some shit?

13. sKyz

sKyz Member

I'm on the same 150GB plan, and can't even download that much. :lol:

IF you do manage to find that much to download, and if there are restrictions similar to the current plans (6 hour off-peak where MOST of the data goes), you'll need to average 600-700kb/s constant download speed to fulfil the quota based on the above restriction (my maths is rough by the way, so feel free to correct). Only the most popular shows/downloads will get speeds close to that?

14. scruff

scruff RIP

I used to constantly get 1,400k/sec + on usenet on TPG. (downloading, uh, astronomy pictures.)

15. HeXa

HeXa Member

I use my current 100-120GB/month for that... plus streaming radio/video, email, gaming, etc. Used to do 200GB+/month in China on 2Mbit ADSL with similar activities.

I might not use all 500GB, but me and everyone else in my house might come close combined :)

16. proffesso

proffesso Member

pfft, crazy kids.

im on 100mbit with unlimited download and I struggle to get 50gb a month, with all my tv shows and various movies :/

seriously, you might as well start dumping archive.org

17. sKyz

sKyz Member

Haha, is that what they call it these days? :lol:

18. scruff

scruff RIP

Are you implying there's more on usenet than alt.binaries.astronomy?

I MUST LOOK INTO THIS!

19. lavi

lavi Member

wonder what "stars" they show

20. lazyboy1984

lazyboy1984 Member

bit long, I apologise in advance...

I'm on the 150GB plan as well and only use around 80 a month. Got suckered into it as I got sick of paying for ADSL1 with extortion prices and a lack of downloads.

I hope TPG know what they're doing and offering this plan because they can, not because they need the money from the leechers. I've been on unlimited plans before, they all eventually suffer the same fate... Ozforces, WildIT, Koala and it's usually attracting the leechers that kills it for everyone in the end. I was on Ozforces, after they went down I churned to Internode instead following the rest of the leechers to WildIT and/or Koala.

The TPG connection is no where near as reliable as Internode, inconsistent speeds depending on network load and because of TPG proxies. Yesterday depsite syncing @ the usual 6000kbps I'm getting dialup speeds to a lot of international sites and full speed to 'some' local ones. Lucky I don't game anymore as the gaming ping to O/S servers was better on Internode ADSL1!

All that aside, as a pure download plan, this is great and it's all I need at the moment. I'd hate to have to churn again if it turns pear shaped due to TPG offering stupid plans that gets abused by leechers that can actually use 500GB or more :wired: