TPG 500GB plan..no catch

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by davidw89, May 30, 2008.

1. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Downloading is fine i get 1.4mb/s (i'm about 1k away from exchange). Gaming is another issue tho CS:S seams to have a lot of choke and spikes. But i couldn't care less all i do is download and occasionally might hit WoW up.

2. Doug11

Doug11 Member

SOUL was a dog (very poorly managed company), the TPG owners wanted to get some cash for the business they built.
    So you merge the two companies , raise some cash, and pay out everyone. Owners, past and present are happy, shareholders (and probably customers)get screwed. Typical merchant banking play.

It was nearly what you would call a reverse takeover, TPG is forecast to be more profitable (and hence more valuable) so TEOH and his mates get the majority stake of the merged entitiy.

3. Doug11

Doug11 Member

I'm with iPrimus and am going to move to their new 40/160gb plan. If it is the same quality as the current plan I am on then it will be fantastic (low pings, stable syncs, max downloading day and night).

Don't think iPrimus will offer a 500gb plan though as they just released the 200gb one.
    They have read they ahve bad cusotmer service, but I don't use that anyway so doesn't worry me.

4. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

I am on the current 150Gb plan, Large HTTP downloads via IE usually never finish, always timeout, but with Getright they work fine as it resumes the DL, ~ 1.4MB/s off usenet.

5. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

Yeah a fair bit of the internet times out, particularly during late afternoon/night hours.
    Ironically however, torrents and other resumeable connections run fine :D
    Its hard getting more than 1.2MB/s off torrents though.

6. Adzgibbo

Adzgibbo Member

i envy you people who get 1mb+

cant wait to get some serious bandwidth and some serious usage aswell.

7. Nippy

Nippy New Member

You can have some of my bandwidth if you want :thumbup:

8. master phi

master phi Member

Cap for peak if you go over for peak and capped off peak if you go over off peak.

A bit noisy when speakers are off because i have the 25cm fan add on with 2 iCages but otherwise very cool temperatures. Space = good too.

Splitter that splits the modem line and phone lines at the telstra point of my house. I ca link to you if you want it is around $50 plus delivery then hire a cable guy to wire it up for you.

It doesn't rain that much in sydney and it is usually online but sometimes it goes offline usually at late night or when it rains.

Problem with tpg is valve games are ok. Games like quake = unplayable. I had to give up quake for this... But i came from optus cable with sub 10 pings on optus servers.

Transparent proxy can be annoying at times but 90% of the time works properly plus people who try your ip address usually get the one in the cbd.

9. Automaton

Automaton Member

Generally speaking I find the service ok. I usually use about 120gb out of the combined total per month.
    My dl speeds are frustrating though. I'm less than 1km from the exchange, both physically & based on cable length and I rarely see greater than 600kb/s on torrents. Never sure if it's just bad torrents or a poorly configured client.
    I've only had a single drop out since connecting 4mths ago and very little of the inability to connect to sites because of proxies which is commonly mentioned on Whirlpool.

What I'd like to see though if this new plan is successful is a price cut on the 40/110 plan.

10. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Pretty sure thats just public trackers not your connection.

11. y2kdevil

y2kdevil Member

i just moved house n using the tpg 40/110 gig service
    ping in games really low can match up to cable optus what i used to have with no lag spike
    and download speed around the same 1.0-1.5mbyte but upload alot faster optus 25kbyte tpg 80-100kbyte

12. SSJX

SSJX Member

TPG doesn't put torrent limiters in do they?

13. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

No, I can get 1.4MB/s at any time of the day no problems

14. hot_sparx

hot_sparx (Banned or Deleted)

Do tpg get pissed off at you or give you a warning if you upload to much?

15. HeXa

HeXa Member

not that I have ever heard of

they do pass on copyright infringement notices, but I have never heard of them acting on one :) Private trackers and filtering takes care of that anyways

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

I'm on the business plan (1.5Mbps unlimited, no ADSL2 for me), and run servers. No complaints or problems. Nor has there been any problem on the odd time I download flat out for the month.

17. Adzgibbo

Adzgibbo Member

i have only heard of this once, but my mate ignored it and continued on :) i think its more of a scare tactic than anything else.

18. VR4hore

VR4hore Member

19. FiShy

FiShy Member

20. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest