TPG Mobile: Changes Afoot?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Oppressa, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Just got this email

I guess this means they're removing the big plans they used to have and lots of people would be on, and replacing with this lame thing:
    http://www.tpg.com.au/mobile/plans.php

So I go from:
    $17 per month
    $750 of calls
    1.5Gb data

to

$19.99
    $500
    1Gb data

Not the end of the world but it currently suits me perfectly :(

Might have to jump to the new internode plans starting up...

2. Sankari

Sankari Member

Damn it, I'm in the same boat as you. Quietly enjoying my grandfathered contract, and now they're going to change it anyway.

:upset:

3. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

4. spotted

spotted Member

I still have an old $9 plan which apart from low data suits me fine :(

5. jlien

jlien Member

This is a bit disappointing, i'm still on their (now grandfathered) $15 bundle (think $300 calls, 1gb data, yes time)

I did want to switch to their $1 plan (just to keep my number) as i also have a 2nd work provided phone but unfortunately that's gone also.

I've contemplated moving away from TPG, but I have about $100+ with them in various forms of bonds (namely, roaming)

Does anyone know if these bonds are refunded when you port away?

6. jlien

jlien Member

Looks like this lame thing got even lamer. The plan was downgraded overnight. I get the strongest impression they're not so interested in the mobile market anymore and they're not even trying to make their plan attractive to anyone.

3G Plenty Plan Saver
    $19.99 per month
    $500
    250MB

7. Gunlock

Gunlock Member

So anyone on any TPG mobile plan will be moved across to this new plan in 2 weeks time?

Balls to that. Another provider here i come.

8. OP
    OP
    Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Been looking around and researching all the providers as well as using this site: http://www.whistleout.com.au/

Vaya Power Plan 18 looks like the best for me. I'll wait to see what TPG does...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  9. mtma

mtma Member

Beware of the 1MB sessions with Vaya, quite the downgrade in useable data for some.

I think LC offer pretty much the same level of service (funny they're meant to have been bought by Vaya) with the exception that they still run 1KB data counting.

10. LEE0337

LEE0337 New Member

Hi All,

I also recieved this email and I am on the $17.99 "no contract" plan. I believe the email to be seem slightly misleading and has brought about some confusion. However, it may have even been purposely written to prompt people to change their mobile plans but this is just speculation.

Anyway at first I thought that the email meant that my plan would be terminated but after some thought and analysis I have come to the conclusion this is not the case. I think everyone should read the email again. It doesn't state anywhere that our services will be terminated just that terms and conditions have changed. Please calm down... and relax a little and...

Also check these pdf on the TPG website

http://www.tpg.com.au/forms/Discontinued_Super Value.pdf
    http://www.tpg.com.au/forms/Discontinued_Pay as You Go.pdf

it says:
    "The ... plans have been DISCONTINUED as of .... Existing ... customers who are currently subscribed to these plans are not affected"

So if you keep paying you can keep the plan.

While I'm not entirely happy with the service and some of the changes from TPG it is a budget mobile service provider so it is expected...

11. Shado

Shado Member

The email doesn't say anything about plans changing, the older plans have been gone for a while, but everyone's been able to keep them.

It would be dumb of them to change them (particularly for people like me who nearly never use the maximum anyway), it would just be a reason for them to lose a lot of paying customers.

I'll wait for them to actually make an announcement about discontinuing a plan before moving, particularly now that they've made it possible to move within a week....

12. Malakai

Malakai Member

So already there is only one plan available which is $19.99 for $500 and 250MB and as of the 15th of October the new terms mean that they can terminate our service with only 7 days notice instead of 30 days.

That means that existing customers plans are not affected though... unless they give you 7 days notice that your plan is terminated.

Interesting times ahead.

Also I wonder if the ADSL plans will suffer the same fate. Probably not.

13. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

How do you actually go about advising TPG you're cancelling your service? Is them receiving the mobile churn request from the other provider enough? :D They can bill me for the next 14 days if they like.

Or are we supposed to email them?

14. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Porting out should be enough.

May be somewhat early to be panicking based on a fairly minor change in the terms and conditions - especially given the customer gets the same reduction in the notice period.

15. Simonk83

Simonk83 Member

No panic involved, just the links above have pointed out that I could get a 4G service for a couple of dollars more than I pay for the 3G at the mo. May as well just switch while I can be bothered :)

16. tangcla

tangcla Member

How do they count their sessions?

17. Panorama

Panorama Member

whats internet tethering?

still I prefer tpg thpough... vaya don't have the bundled value plans as tpg... and tpg still cheaper.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  18. OP
    OP
    Oppressa

Oppressa Member

19. OP
    OP
    Oppressa

Oppressa Member

So TPG have just released some new plans. Very strict on the data though!

20. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

If they cancel the grandfathered plans I'll switch to these guys

http://www.liveconnected.com.au/mobile-plans-4g

$19.90 a month for $650 of calls and 1.5GB data. And it is 4G (not that I can use it on my Nexus 4).

Anyone know who they resell?