TPG to buy iiNet

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Ravennoir, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

2. power

power Member

I use and recommend TPG, they provide great value and this would only strengthen their brand and network.

3. cyclobs

cyclobs Member

4. disco frank

disco frank Member

not much out there...
    if they keep the 2 isp's sperate it might be ok...
    now we have to wait for the shareholders to vote

5. power

power Member

considering the offer they'd be foolish to knock it back.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  6. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

I second this. I rate them highly.

7. Zangetsu.ssl

Zangetsu.ssl Member

Just switched from iiNet back to TPG about a month ago.

Honestly I don't think iiNet is the company it was 10 years ago. Had been a customer in 2003 and in 2014. These days their customer service is a hit and miss. For example, one of the customer reps had the audacity to emphatically deny that their system triple billed me despite it being plain obvious versus another time they did above and beyond (<24hrs) to get the line connected when the tech installed ADSL/phone services to the wrong premises. The ability to call iiNet 24/7 is nice but you wouldn't need to if you didn't have problems anyway.

Like the above poster said, TPG represents good value for what it offers.

8. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

I had nothing but problems when i was with them

unless they have improved their game, Im not looking forward to the outcome

9. clonex

clonex Member

As of late regardless of the time of day its been "your approximate wait time is one hour":thumbdn:

I notice they recently jacked up all their nbn/fibre plans by $10, usage is anytime now so off-peak/peak times were removed but VOIP is included now as well

10. 2SHY

2SHY Member

TPG is good value but their customer service needs work. At least in my experience.

11. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

The interesting space to watch is whether Optus counter with a better offer. Some analysts had a target price for iiNet of $9/share compared to TPG's offer of $8.60. TPG saying it's EPS positive in year one, so there's probably room to move.

3 months is a long time for TPG to stand there with their dick out waiting on the vote...

12. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

As an internode customer, I'm absolutely gutted by this.

Unless something has majorly changed, I can't see this being good. Have heard too much negative feedback from mates about them as an ISP to feel ok about this deal. As pointed out - there really isn't much of a choice now, so no point kicking up a fuss and threatening to leave :(

13. FiShy

FiShy Member

Why would Optus buy them? Optus wholesales to both TPG and IInet.

14. hi_lectro

hi_lectro Member

:S

I've had nothing but good customer service with tpg. They even ring up after an issue to double check it's all good.

15. greenhawk

greenhawk Member

This sucks some what, but then I am having to move currently and the new area only has telstra or iinet/internode hardware in it.

I was going to go internode for gaming and the free data but from what I have been told recently, all the things that made internode great are pretty much gone now with iinet in charge.

Currently with TPG on a old plan, and while I would like to keep it, it is not a option without TPG in the new exchange.

Personally, I far more perfer TPG to buy iinet out than the other way round. My heavy usage habbits would not work on most providers at even twice what I currently pay.

16. ThankDog

ThankDog (Banned or Deleted)

Fucking sell-outs. First Simon sells out to iiNet, then to the NBN Co. board, now the entirety of Australia's remaining decent ISP is going to sell-out to fucking TPG. Watch them back-flip over all the things they've stood firm on in the past, like being against metadata retention. And I bet we'll lose all the bundled extras like free usenet.

And fuck TPG. Anyone that says they're a good ISP is kidding themselves. They cut corners, use shitty proxies, don't maintain their nodes, have the WORST customer service I've ever experienced, a cheap crappy fucking help website, lots of outages, rip-off plans, shitty ping, shitty speeds.

I'm gonna go live in the bush without internet access. The world sucks and can go fuck itself.

17. MotoMan

MotoMan Member

I've had TPG for close to 3 years now.. in 2 different locations.. (3088 and 3084)

Speed is always great (16Mbps) no throttling or crap.. for $59.99 a month unlimited is impossible to beat (works great with Netflix too 720p or 1080P 90% of the time)

Gaming is perfect.. never had issues with Ping or packet loss

Service has been flawless other than 2 issues which were caused by me.
    Sony Smartwatch 2 slowing the whole network to a crawl
    and broken phone cable thanks to the cats..

Customer service has always been prompt and helpful..

Only thing left for me now is NBN... FFS build the shit quicker

IINET is not the company they used to be..

18. clonex

clonex Member

Surely the top 4 holders would of been consulted prior to making this official_

http://investor.iinet.net.au/irm/Sh...?CategoryID=183&HideTopLine=True&masterpage=3

And TPG currently already owns 6.32% in shares

http://investor.iinet.net.au/irm/Sh...?CategoryID=183&HideTopLine=True&masterpage=3

http://registers.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1185185

19. power

power Member

I've even had a couple of billing mistakes and they just fix it themselves without me having to do anything.

I've been with them for like 5 years or more. The only thing I changed was going to a cheaper plan with more data.

hahaha, if you say so.

I say fuck the ACCC, what are they trying to protect Telstra and Optus duoploy here??

20. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

What's your point? The value in iiNet is their customer base.