TPG to buy iiNet

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Ravennoir, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Camm

Camm Member

Shrug. I'm already paying at the high end of the soho market :p.

Fuck, if were going that route, Commander does $100 Unlimited. But I'm moving to NBN in 8 months though, and don't particularly want to be forced to have another phone line installed.

Optus is probably my best bet, small business grade connection for $95 a month.

To be honest though, more than that - I'd like to support someone who is Australian based, has an Australian based call centre, and isn't over subscribed as fuck. Yep, its goldilocks.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  2. power

power Member

wants reliable SOHO product, balks @ $30.

:thumbdn:

Commander are shit, don't bother with them.

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

Yep.

Optus are also shit.

So Telstra Internet Direct then?

4. Camm

Camm Member

I shouldn't baulk at paying more than what has been serving me well until recently at the moment?

I'm not a business (and if I was, I'd just pay the extra). But having something reliable means I can work from home with confidence if I have to is important. Its unfortunate the home market is split between bargain basements and Telstra :\

Telstra Direct? Haven't seen any mention of it on T's site.

5. timsarg

timsarg Member

commander actual product isn't shit . We find it very reliable for work . No downtime and support is pretty good . What is shit is their account managers and trying to find someone who actually knows what the fuck they are talking about .

6. .Anon.

.Anon. Member

I'm with TPG's FTTB service, it's fkn great. 85mbps ls all a man could want...unless I can get faster..

7. JugV2

JugV2 Member

Sad to hear about games.on.net closing.

Only a matter of time until the gaming servers are gone too. Mind you, a lot of the ones particularly in BF4 are already empty. The WA Servers are almost always empty which is a shame because I get such low pings to those.

8. Linkin

Linkin Member

RIP GON :upset:

9. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

sucks that this is closing down as well, i basically only ever played on gamearena or internode servers. iinet used to have its own games thing but they closed it down when they bought internode. it was the 3FL servers which i think were run by westnet.

10. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

So sad Internode has turned to shit.

Pointless paying the premium now. I'd churn immediately, except to where, and the MDF in my apartment building makes it a PITA.

11. power

power Member

all these elitists churning away from internode/iinet is awesome, it just means that the TPG network is even better - hahaha.

12. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I have no issues with TPG, but paying Internode prices for a TPG product is lunacy.

13. JugV2

JugV2 Member

I'm still with iinet, got Fetch and BB, the only thing I will be changing to is NBN if it ever happens in my area.

14. power

power Member

I've used dozens of internet connections, TPG product is fine by me and the acquisition of other networks just makes it better :)

15. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Already under way mate....

New plans are all 1TB. The difference is on how much value you get out of phone.

With the 1tb you don't get freezone. I only used on average 50gb per month on freezone, so i'm happy to move to them for the 400gb extra quota for less money too! :D

16. JugV2

JugV2 Member

Yeah Freezone has never really made much difference to me.

17. power

power Member

with the quotas TPG offer (at least for me) quota free downloads is just so meh.

18. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Problem is i don't want to disconnect my net again and then get naked reconnected.

When i went to get my net connected i was 4 months without net because of the fkwit sheninagans telstra did.... rather just pay what i am now, since i don't get anywhere near 1tb anyway!

19. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Half the Kotaku stuff is American fed and the real-life/advertorial stuff that has nothing to do with gaming is very annoying.. :(

Found this one: https://www.playerattack.com/

Which has staff from the original IGN (Internode Gaming Network) days, onboard.
    Not sure yet.

20. IKT

IKT Member

Until you have a problem and get sick of the Manilla ride and want off but can't because you're trapped.

Opticomm, Opennetworks, Foxtel, whenever there's 'exclusive' deals someone is getting screwed.

This isn't on the cards and I don't believe it ever will be, (not at least until TPG has seen a return on investment).

TPG has an NPS of <20, the customer service levels of TPG are abysmal, but that's ok for a lot people, however if the service levels at Internode/iinet dropped to similar levels a significant number of people would leave, especially since what's the point of staying when TPG are selling shitty customer service with a low cost, low margin, high volume product. They are the MSY of the internet world, and for a lot of people that's great.

However if service levels drop and people start leaving there's an opportunity for people to go to another ISP that's not TPG, which would make TPG's purchase less likely to be an investment, which is not what they want.

Honestly there's a bunch of integration with iinet being fast tracked, so likely within the next year internode will just be a shell of iinet, similar to westnet.

From this since Internode CSO's won't be dealing with Internode systems anymore, it'll mainly be iinet's systems, they'll then (after being told it would happen in 2012) finally be integrated into the iinet contact centre, maybe in 2016.

Until then TPG is going to be cutting as much fat as possible to ensure a maximum return on investment and retaining the most customers they can.