TPG to buy iiNet

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Ravennoir, Mar 13, 2015.

1. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

Service levels at iinet are already crap, that's why i changed to cable

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

The service desk is the only reason we have persisted with Internode for the last 2-3years. I haven't used the free content or my.games for 2-3 years.

They really helped us after the Brisbane 2011 Floods (we were ~7KM from the closest water) but our line Copper line went to shit ever since. Telstra tried a massive "headjob" on us leading to more than 40 points of contact with Telstra, >15 tech call outs for static or DC line, and 3-4 contacts to TIO to demonstrate I had enough of their lies. In comparison we had to contact Internode 4-5 times during this period (the last 4.5 years and Aussie talking to me with 5mins or leave number for a call back), 1 tech call out who ran a cable shark and clearly demonstrated it was the cooper line about 87m from our house (and not our equipment as Telstra kept trying to pin the blame on ever after complete swap out of every piece of the networking gear over the years) and they aggressively pursued Telstra for required works on our behalf (significantly impaired service delivery due to crappy line quality).

Once the Service Desk goes that's it and I will blame TPG for that loss and never consume their products.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  3. Copie

Copie Member

Well that and with NBN allowing many smaller RSP's to actually be semi competitive people can now get even better call support.

4. Sankari

Sankari Member

TPG's call centres are based in the Philippines. No curry accent there. In fact, you'll find most Filipinos speak English with an American accent.

5. IKT

IKT Member

Here's to skymesh, (hopefully) the saviour of us all. :Pirate:

6. Camm

Camm Member

The accent's one thing.

The 'script to a t' customer service that has no fucking idea what they are talking about is however.

Hell, I would still have been on TPG if I was able to resolve a 'exchange has massive amounts of congestion' phone marathon, rather than have you tried turning it off and on again.

Yeah, I've tried turning it off and on. And its just magical that the Internet is unuseable between 6:30pm and 11pm.

7. Everlong

Everlong Member

Ausgamers is still kicking along for news

8. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Thank god im not on adsl any more

had TPG, was shit, had optus, was shit, had internode, and hands down where the best.

When i had to move, i only moved to where i could get cable.

9. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Heh, I still have stickied threads on the tech forum. :lol: :thumbup:
    Wonder if I've got a pre-release backup of the site lurking around in my archives somewhere :confused:

10. tygrus

tygrus Member

Left TPG because of poor service and went with iHug which became iiNet

Many years ago I left TPG because of poor service and looked around for a better deal. iHug (later purchased by iiNet) offered a better deal and ADSL2 came with their own DSLAM well before Telstra offered it.

I think TPG should keep another brand as their premium service or just offer $/mth upgrade options. Add options for: short wait Australian service; local game servers; local cached content; lower bandwidth contention; business services. Tell the user how much these extras actually cost and let us decide.

I had a Telstra supplied copper line (PSTN) with iiNet ADSL using it also. Kept getting terrible phone crackle and the ADSL dropping speed & sync. Phoned Telstra with the faults, they would send someone out to "fix" it but soon after they came it would return to being bad. The final "temporary fix" was using 1 wire from each pair to make a complete circuit. Both pairs had a bad wire that would require the whole cable from me to the box 400m away to be replaced. It's been working liked that for more than a year. They obviously don't want to pay for replacing the copper.

Never use a standard phone extension cable. It's a tiny copper thread in the shop bought leads. I made my own with Cat5e cable and RJ11 connectors (using RJ crimping tool). 20% faster (4.0 instead of 3.3 Mbps, 10m from wall socket, >4km from exchange).

11. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

They can be fine. Was using a $2 shop 15m phone cable at my old place before I knew better. No difference in sync speed at all compared to a 1.5m cable (and having the router in the fking kitchen)

12. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

iiNet network (now presented as TPG Premium?) seems to be still pretty good as well (noticeable on NBN 100/40), impressive overseas speeds compared to Skymesh - which cannot afford larger bandwidth for it's smaller user base.
    Just hope it doesn't got to shit.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  13. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Maybe it was running parallel with some power cable?

14. raX

raX Member

the TPG/iinet networks are still unlinked for the time being, it's still far too soon for any merging to have occurred at all..

I expect once they start migrating users from one to the other (cvc, nni, scalability reasons) is when we'll see if there will be an issue or not.

I think from economy of scale there will be no issues, the biggest problem seems to be small providers or unpopular ones on the NBN. TPG and iinet are both popular, albeit to different crowds, both will benefit from the others userbases' being merged together for the NBN

15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

iinet has impressive overseas speed and skymesh doesn't?

Why do so many people here on ocau go on about skymesh being the best for overseas speeds?

16. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

No idea. Let's test it :D

Internode 50/20 connection -

Los Angeles, Time Warner server

[​IMG]

Los Angeles, HugeServer... server

[​IMG]

Singapore, Softlayer server

[​IMG]

Tokyo, Cordeos server

[​IMG]

London, Softlayer server

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  17. summoner

summoner Member

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say skymesh has good overseas speeds. But I mainly see them mentioned on whingepool.

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

19. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

On 100/40 NBN I found local speeds and gaming excellent on Skymesh, but overseas traffic would be noticeable slower throughput - the MD admitted on Whirlpool that there is not enough business case to lease higher overseas bandwidth - which is fair enough. No Youtube or Twitch buffering on max settings at all on IInet, and full 100mbs throughput for uncle torrenz, where others don't quite max it out.

Don't think I would ever go TPG though sorry, have always preferred to pay for a performance service with limits over an unlimited service which is bound to be abused by whoever. Also, no static IP option is meh.
    Different strokes.

20. kryzak260

kryzak260 Member

Yeah, Skymesh were a great company from a support perspective, but their overseas speeds were rubbish. Averaged 2-3MB/s and peaked at 5MB/s on usenet. On iinet I averaged 8-9MB/s and frequently got 10MB/s...