TPG Unlimited TW 8mbit & TW 24mbit plans

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by raX, Oct 18, 2010.

1. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Hmmm, Last time i looked i thought there was 8 bits in a byte? am i missing something or are they doing a hard drive manufacturer to me?

2. martino

martino Member

Dividing by 10 rather than 8 allows (roughly) for cell/frame overheads.

An ADSL2+ service syncing at the max bitrate can pull ~2.5MB/sec full throttle.

3. cvidler

cvidler Member

How many people complain if they get bad service - everyone.
    How many people post in every forum about great service - nearly no one.

Basing stats on complaints is very - very one sided and incorrect.

4. Imitation

Imitation Member

Not sure of my sync speed as I'm using bridge mode but I had peak download of over 2200KB/s last night.. happy with that. Peak speeds seems to hover around 600 - 900 KB/s.. but I think that's an exchange issue as I had similar problems with my previous ADSL 8 Mb plan from a completely different ISP.

Pings: Within Australia 1/10 packets will spike.. so average is ~ 70ms and then it will spike to 150. Doesn't seem to be a big deal in practice. US pings.. the same thing but it will go from 250ms to 350ms. Overall pings seem around 10 ms lower than previous ISP.

Not very happy with the signup process though.. quite pissed off infact.

5. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

I use to get 2.3MB/sec on TPG not long ago, my phone line has degraded a bit since then and I only sync at 20mbit, but I can still get just over 2MB

6. co.VAL(esce)

co.VAL(esce) Member

I have two phone lines in my house. One's OPTUS (The one and only that I use) and the other is TPG (unlimited download so the Chinese homestays can download whatever the fuck they want without annoying the fuck out of me)

7. Croc

Croc Member

rubbish

how about we make a bet that i switch to provider like westnet or internode and I will get once again full speeds on same line, same modem and same rim, make it $1000?

if you confident enough it isn't TPG kick it up to $2000 :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  8. OPM881

OPM881 Member

Martinos explanation was what I was getting at. I know there are 8 bits in a byte.

But how long ago was that line put in?
    Then again, my only experience with ADSL2+ is in Cairns in FNQ, so yea......

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

Not rubbish - you've misunderstood.

Saying TPG is rubbish because of your experience is fallacious. As is basing your opinion off of those who complain on a forum.

What I'm saying is looking at complaints you only see one side of the picture and it'll look bad.

Hoe many complaints have you seen? 1,000? I'll be generous and see you 2,000? That's pretty small compared to TPG's 700,000 customers (much less than 1%).

Yeah the service must be crap.

If you're willing to stump up $2000, why not just change providers, you're obviously flush with cash.

10. Glide

Glide Member

I'm going with tpg in my new house to save a buck. 6 months contract isnt too bad, I'll switch if it becomes an issue.

11. martino

martino Member

The WP 2009 user survey results would be the best indicator of whatever you guys are arguing about surely?

http://whirlpool.net.au/survey/2009/

12. cvidler

cvidler Member

Not really no. Check the respondents category, the vast majority of respondents are either Students or IT people, hardly a representative cross section of the populace - and those more likely to complain / or expect more from a service.

13. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

i see it as 44%, a sizable part of the user base but hardley the vast majority

14. martino

martino Member

Yes there is bias and its not an accurate sample, but I'd wager its the best info you will get.

15. Croc

Croc Member

you seem to think that everyone out of 700000 customers would know difference between good and bad connection, 99% of them wouldn't recognize bad connection even if it whacked them on a head

as for the $2000 it would be you paying out not me so not an issue.

16. Croc

Croc Member

love your logic :rolleyes:

in short you want to count everyone that doesn't even know their connection sucks as customer with perfect connection

dear me...

17. .:front2back:.

.:front2back:. Member

Welp changed from the 1.5mb 80GB adsl plan on TPG to that off-net adsl 8mb unlimited.

For a whole hour things were looking great, speedtest was giving consitent 6mb down 520k up. And the rest of the day i've been enjoying dial up speeds. :mad:

and i'm having to continually now log into the modem's setting page and click the connect button.

before the plan switch we had consistent down/up could stream video from atdhe without an issue, and now we carn't even watch anything, it took close to 36mins to load a 4min music video on youtube on the lowest quality settings.

the ping test from speedtest.net are through the roof.

:upset:

18. fang_laluna

fang_laluna Member

I had the same experience for the first two month with this plan. Now the speed is stable again. No problem with streaming etc

19. .:front2back:.

.:front2back:. Member

We've been with 'em for near over 18months now, and admittedly this is the 1st issue we've really had, other then the whole billing issue that took a few phone calls back 'n fourth to sort out.

were out of contract so it's no big issue if we need to change isp in the future.

20. Ice009

Ice009 Member

From the wall to the modem?