Traditional South Indian Dish - Upma

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by bejay, Feb 8, 2010.

1. bejay

bejay Member

Hi Guys,

Now and then when I can I'll introduce you guys to some yummy spicy very homely traditional sub continent food to tease your taste buds. Please note that even the mildly hot Indian food for me may taste extremely hot for you, so the intensity you feel will depend on how well trained you taste buds are to spicy food. Having said that I'll do my best to define quantities assuming that most of you like it mildly hot, so use more if you like to dare

I'm posting a recipe for one of my most favorite south Indian delicacy "Upma". My partner (she is Aussie) absolutely loves it. She suggested me to share it with you folks. You can have it as either lunch or dinner, in India its breakfast.

So here we go.....

Preparation time - 30 Minutes, If you use a bag of frozen mixed veges then 15 mins
    Cooking time - 15 mins

Ingredients
    Semolina - 1 cup
    Cooking oil - 3-4 tbsp
    Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
    Cumin - 1 tsp (Optional)
    There is difference in taste when you do with or without Cumin
    Ginger root - 1/2 tsp, grated (Optional)
    Green chillies - I use 3 med, finely diced
    Bird Eye Chilly - 2 small finely diced
    use your discretion depending on how hot you like it, but remember to dice it fine so that it disappears into semolina and that way you will feel the zing of mild heat but not end up biting into hot chunky chilly piece. If your taste buds are untrained, start with 1 each of the above
    Curry Leaves - 5-10
    Chopped onions - 1 med, chopped (Use red onions, tastes better)
    Salt to taste

Vegetables (A little bit of all)
    You may use all or few in combination up to you, I love my veges so I use all
    Peas
    Carrots (Sliced/Diced/Grated - Any way you like)
    Potatoes - Diced
    Cauliflower
    Fresh Beans - Sliced
    Capsicum - If you use capsicum fry it with onion
    Egg Plant - If you use eggplant fry it with onion

Grated coconut - 3-4 tbsp (optional, if you do, I recommend it to be fresh and juicy)

Granish with Grated Coconut, Lemon/Lime juice - 2 tsp (optional - Use more if you like the zing of tang)

Method of preparation
    1. Traditionally Speaking, Dry-roast semolina until it just begins to turn brown, then keep aside. If you are lazy don't bother, coz I don't LOL
    2. In a large saucepan/wok, heat the cooking oil.
    3. Add mustard seeds and wait for them to splutter. Then add cumin, ginger, green/red chillies, curry leaves and chopped onions and fry until onions caramelize.
    4. Add vegetables, salt to taste and top with water until it skims the top of the veges, bring to boil, simmer until veges cook.
    5. Add the roasted semolina, turn down the heat, and mix quickly to avoid forming lumps.
    6. The Upma is done when all the water is absorbed by the semolina.
    7. Garnish with grated coconut, chopped Coriander (cilantro) leaves and lemon/Lime juice. Mix well and serve hot.

You would require

A nice big WOK and a big wooden/steel spoon to mix well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you guys like it.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. badsac

badsac Member

Ooo awesome. Thanks for that! Sides are my weak point so I'd love to give this a go. :thumbup:

BTW, is that fish or chookie on the plate beside it?

3. OP
    OP
    bejay

bejay Member

its a fishy dude, Lemon & Cracked Pepper from coles, I used to love it until i saw this documentary called The Cove, stopped eating fish after that