Travel Card options

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Rod911, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Kie

Kie Member

But for largely cash-based countries, like Japan, the need to withdraw would be frequent, and the acceptance of the card would be very limited. It largely depends on where you travel.

2. Silent Remorse

Silent Remorse GAMING OVERLORD

In which case, generally, I'd probably just carry cash then use any sort of travel card.

3. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

Yes, I used the 28deg card for cash withdrawals at ATMs all through Europe earlier this year. The trick is putting cash into the account so your account is in credit and you don't get charged cash advance fees.

4. bueller

bueller Member

Not the greatest of ideas if you're going for more than a few days, I was travelling with a mate a while back who only took cash with him and guess what happened? Lost his wallet with half his money on the second day.

5. Kie

Kie Member

Ouch! Plus in a place like Japan I'm expecting to spend around 7-8k over 2 weeks. Not really comfortable having that all in cash all the time. And it would be quite fat even in big notes, let alone all the change you'd get. Maybe leaving some in the hotel is okay if you're in a trustworthy hotel...I'd prefer to have good rates and no withdrawal fees.

Badger: Awesome idea! Can you do it via BPAY or direct debit, (i.e. same as paying it back)?

6. bueller

bueller Member

Yeah I usually take two debit cards with me when travelling, the one I commonly use is kept on me with only a few hundred dollars on it and I have another one in my suitcase as a backup. If I lose my wallet all I need to do is transfer money into my backup account and I'm set.

7. Kie

Kie Member

Travel money card is similar in that respect; if you lost one you had a back-up one, so your money wasn't just lost. I guess the missus and I would have 1 28deg card each with the same amount on it (like a backup system) and we'd just cancel one if we lost it.

8. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

Not my idea, but happy to help. I saw it on whirlpool. The only issue is that if you load too much credit on, they might close your account, nobody seems sure how much exactly. I just BPAYed $2k chunks into the account when it started getting low, and kept a reasonable track of how much I'd spent/withdrawn. It might be a bit easier to use the 28deg card just for purchases (depends on credit limit and time) and another one/citiplus card for cash out of ATM, but I didn't really have any problems for 6 weeks in Europe.

As for backups, I just had my regular credit card along, I figure on the off chance that I lose my 28deg card, I can put up with the 3% fees.

9. Kie

Kie Member

Yeah our credit/debit card will be a backup source of funds...and will probably end up getting used too!

10. BassMstr

BassMstr Member

Thats what i didn't like about 28 degree and similar cards is you need to use them as a credit card to get value out of it. Which is a bit hard when you go to asian countries and paying by credit card can be hard and run the risk of skimming.

As i travel to asia once or twice a year i thought the citibank plus account was the better way to go as i can just go to an atm and withdraw cash as i need it.

I also setup a high interest savings account attached to my plus account and put most of the money in there and transfer it back to main account as i need it. Just another safe guard to skimming of the card at atm or using in a shop.

As a backup i always take my credit card and bank card incase of emergency or citibank card is stolen.

11. karun

karun Member

I just used my Citibank Plus card in Europe, and got exactly the visa exchange rate for Euros.

12. M4g3X0r

M4g3X0r Member

That's why you put a positive balance on the 28 degrees card and use as an ATM. Was in Singapore earlier this year and just withdrew money when I needed it.

13. passivekid

passivekid Member

14. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

Note that they only waive the Foreign Transaction Fee of 2.95% for platinum cards, which might count some people out (depends on the conditions)

15. enzo_450

enzo_450 Member

Heading to NZ in 3 weeks or so.

Any tips on what's best to go with for this? 28Degrees also?

Obviously having some cash out would be good but I usually prefer to use my debit card.

Keen to set something up and get two cards. Cheers :thumbup:

16. sheezymaneezy

sheezymaneezy Member

Hey guys,
    Can you explain how the 28 degrees card works?

From what I've gathered, I deposit extra money onto the card, and as long as I don't make any cash withdrawals from ATMs that cause the account to go into the negative, I will not get charged anything?
    Also, I assume when withdrawing from an ATM with the card, it is just from Credit?

17. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

Yes* and Yes.

* Obviously any regular credit transactions you do will eat into the extra you have on the card. eg:

1. You put $2k on the card. You withdraw $1k in cash at ATM. You withdraw $500 in cash at ATM. You make a $900 purchase on the card. = no fees
    2. You put $2k on the card. You withdraw $1k in cash at ATM. You make a $900 purchase on the card. You withdraw $500 in cash at ATM. = instant interest.
    (edit: fixed incorrect statement about cash advance fees)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  18. tizeyboy

tizeyboy Member

Is that 2nd part accurate? I dont think there are cash advance fees if you actually use credit on the 28 degrees card? I'm hoping not anyway.. that way I can utilise the best of both worlds for my upcoming euro trip.

28 degrees = use solely for cash advances as nil fees for cash advances, only instant interest accruing (and pay off regularly throughout the trip to minimise interest as opposed to loading up with my money, which if the card is skimmed/stolen can be lost).

bankwest zero platinum = use for purchases over there and pay it off when I'm home as zero international fees (but the card still has cash advance fees).

Also that way I've got a backup incase something happens to either of them that wont cost the world in fees.

19. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

You are correct, http://www.28degreescard.com.au/features.html says:

"No cash withdrawal fees
    No fees for cash advances "

I figured that the risk of losing the money was less than the interest cost, especially if you don't know when you'll have internet access again to pay it off.

20. tizeyboy

tizeyboy Member

Yeah thats fair enough, I guess it depends on each circumstances. I cant imagine dropping off the radar (no internet) for much over a week at the most, so the interest cost is minimal.

With interest being ~60cents/day per $1,000 of cash advances, I think even if I was to fully draw down the card in cash advances for 2months and never once see internet, its a cost I'm willing to wear given all I'm losing is about $80 in interest on a maxed out card of $2,500 (if I were to draw $2,500 on day 1 of the trip), whereas the potential for losing my card and having it cleaned out and losing the positive balance is going to be way more than that if I load it up positively. Granted, its probably not going to happen - but it would put a big dampner on the trip if it did.

I dunno, I always prepare for the worst to happen.