1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Travel photo storage

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by ralphy140, Jul 7, 2011.

1. ralphy140

ralphy140 Member

Hi Guys,

I am off to Africa for 4 weeks in October to go on Safari. I will be camping for almost the whole time and away from all internet/Power,

I am after a device that i can backup my photos onto that can run on batteries and download my CF cards to.

I have done some research but all i can find is information on devices from pre-2008

Can any one recommended a device that i can store photos on, I don't need to view them but a bit check would be nice to know that they are not corrupt and that can run on batteries.

I for weight reasons can not take a laptop as i am limited to 15Kg of baggage including my camera gear so I will already be pushing my limit as it is with out anything heavy like a laptop.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ralphy

2. Sili

Sili Member

3. Nafe

Nafe Member

Netbook weighing 1kg?

Otherwise something that runs off AA batteries as they are easy to find if you run out of juice someplace. My old PD70X ran off AAs, and also worked as a battery charger, so I just ran it off a set of Powerex 2700s. 1GB took about 2-3mins to transfer depending on the speed of the card.

4. methd

methd Member

Buy three 32gb cards. Problem fixed.

5. Nafe

Nafe Member

Not if he loses a card (or three?) :D

6. methd

methd Member

same as losing a portable storage device isn't it. CF cards are smaller and less prone to failure than a HDD so that'd be my best bet.

7. jaghori

jaghori Member

I definitely recommend a netbook. I bought an Acer 10" Netbook for my overseas trip and it has 250GB HDD. I would download all the images/videos every night on to the netbook and the same thing every day for the entire four weeks. I also used the netbook to book accommodation and flights for my next destination without any risks.

The size and weight is negligible and if asked that you are over your limit of 15KG, simply pull the netbook out and carry it in your hand on to the plane.

8. adam

adam Member

Agree with methd, CF's are super robust.

Buy a number of smaller cards if you are worried about a single one failing, but they are cheap and super super robust and as portable as you can get.

9. Nafe

Nafe Member

CF cards are undoubtedly easier to lose due to their size. But the lost aspect applies to pretty much any solution, i.e. anything can be lost/stolen. :D

10. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

You and I obviously have different definitions of "backup". Backup to me is > 1 copy.

CF cards can be a suitable solution however - you can get devices that can copy from one mass storage devices to another, and with a CF card reader you could plug camera into the source and CF card reader (with an extra large CF card) into the destination and hit the 'copy' button. I believe Jaycar sell a cheap version, never used one myself though. I'm also not sure what their power source is.

edit: And assuming it works, it means you can put the destination CF card(s) into the camera and check the photos copied across OK.

11. swaz

swaz Member

12. switchblade327

switchblade327 Member

get a dual slot camera... :lol:

Seriously, I like those hdd type things but as someone said, you want a backup (redundant) as much as getting more storage so... netbook with DVD burner and HDD.. burn and mail DVDs back home... or rely on internet cafes to access burners and stuff.

13. smorter

smorter Member

CF cards in a Gepe Cardsafe is the safest way. Leave it in zipped up pocket and almost impossible to lose unless you get mugged or something.

14. methd

methd Member

a huh. wasn't thinking about his camera ... i usually holiday with two 32 GB cards in raid and never shoot enough to fill it up. best type of backup as the cards always stay inside the camera and we all look after our cameras!!

15. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

I've got the Compactdrive PD70X. Rarely use it as when we go on holidays I take 2 x 32GB USB Keys and the netbook.

But when power is an issue, the PD70X is probably your best bet. Runs on AA's as Nafe mentioned, and it's built like a brick shithouse.

Can also be run via power adaptor, or powered using rechargable batteries.

Bottom line is it's a pretty decent bit of gear.

16. andysl

andysl Member

But small enough to keep a backup card in a pouch with your passport!

17. AwesumaPowa

AwesumaPowa Member

Multiple CF cards kept in a pocket sewn into your undergarments.

If you STILL manage to lose the cards, a few missing files are the least of your worries.

18. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Could also mean he is having the time of his life...

19. ApathyGates

ApathyGates Member

Geez you people are paranoid. You think he'd get mugged just for the CF cards? I think they'd be interested in stealing the backup device too :p

Personally, if it's just for backup reasons, I'd use my old eeePC. It's small, relatively lightweight of sorts and can at least access the net (tethered iphone) when required.

But of course, a mugger would try to steal that too. :S

20. bachamp

bachamp Member

I dont want to lose any images when I travel, so I use an eeePC with a external backup. I keep them seperate, one in hotel room, the other in backpack etc.