1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Travel storage

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by the_fuzz, Jan 21, 2020.

1. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a stupid question - or if it should be in the travel section.....

I'm travelling around Vietnam for a month with my wife on a couple of motorbikes and we will have 2 gopro's, mavic air, Insta 360 and 2 phones - so obviously alot of video.

I didn't want to lug around my laptop as space is already a premium on the bikes. so I won't be able to do much editing on the road and want to do most of it when I get back - is there a simple way to dump data onto a portable drive without a laptop - or do I just need to carry 30 x 128Gb SD cards?

2. Hater

Hater Member

I have a 1TB SSD shoved into a cheap MacBook Air for this purpose and it worked fine. There are portable hard drives you can stick an SD card into and they copy it to the drive, they were more expensive that the MacBook though and the MacBook (10") seemed just as portable.

As I was travelling Japan the laptop also enabled me to upload footage to a cloud service now and then, meaning less worries about data loss, but nfi if Vietnam would have that level of bandwidth available

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    the_fuzz and Deftone2k like this.
  3. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

WD passport which uses app on phone
    gnarbox has more features but more $$'s

the_fuzz likes this.
  4. splbound

splbound Member

Do both, multiple SSD cards which you don't erase as well as HDD backup as a backup. Covers you in case the drive goes kaput or you lose a card.
    Add in cloud backup when you can in case the other two fail but seeing Vietnam you will probably be bandwidth limited.

If you have access to PC/macs along the way, bring a USB SD card reader with a portable HDD drive and use them.

Even better, if you phone supports OSB OTG, has a lot of free space and the power to run the HDD, you can use that instead of the PC as a middle man.
    Transfer card contents to phone then phone to usb hdd.

the_fuzz likes this.
  5. The_Stig

The_Stig Member

the_fuzz likes this.
  6. splbound

splbound Member

Also came across this travel router that can probably serve the purpose of transferring between SD and HDD.
    https://www.ravpower.com/products/rp-wd009-filehub

Don't have this myself so can't vouch for how well it works but is another type of alternative device to use on your travels in lieu of a computer.
    Unsure of the availability of these things in AU as I live in London and things like this are easily available on Amazon UK.

Either way just make sure your selected transfer options work flawlessly before you leave. Last thing you want is having to screw around trying to get it to work on holidays.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    the_fuzz likes this.
  7. Athiril

Athiril Member

SSD and small USB hub, you should be able to use your phone or tablet to transfer files between SD to SSD. Even on Apple, iOS13 now let’s you mount external drives.

You don’t need much power to power an SSD so should be fine, but you can always use a USB hub that lets you inject power from a power bank or USB charger

You might end up losing some of those SD cards, so I wouldn’t want them to be the only copy.

Backup enclosures with a battery and card slots used to be cheap a long time ago believe it or not...

Other solutions as mentioned above, but you can also use raspberry pi to do this too to copy SD to a HD.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    the_fuzz likes this.