1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Tribes 3: Rivals

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by walker_2003, Dec 6, 2023.

1. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

"A new Tribes game is coming next year and it's not free to play: 'We made some mistakes in how we monetized Ascend"

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-new-tribe...xIt8nno9ZeOjUjl-pVbuEQdgZ3KRofnHK_3V9TFRiNEJA

More excited for this then GTA 6 (but much higher chance of it disappointing me like ascend)

Absolutely loved tribes 1 & 2 back in the day. So many memories, especially being the first online shooter I played really + first game I got to witness openGL with my tnt2 32mb!

Loved all the awesome mods (shifter) and custom maps (blastside).

Nothing beats a mid-air disc launcher kill.

Shazbot!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
    rthy, Trizae, hoody_s13 and 5 others like this.
  2. Elmf

Elmf Member

Looks fun but wouldn't have longevity for me, like Splitgate

3. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah not for everyone. Def boomer shooter territory and more for original fans. They might struggle to bring in new players who crave weapon progression/unlocks etc. This game becomes about mastering the complex weaponry and movement.

Tribes/tribes 2 were pretty popular back in the day.

Elmf likes this.
  4. Elmf

Elmf Member

Agreed very Unreal Tournament/original tribes style.

5. Melkor1337

Melkor1337 Member

I used to love Tribes 2 and OG Unreal Tournament.
    Great LAN memories, good to see this IP still lives on

walker_2003, Elmf and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

7. eixt

eixt Member

Looks very similar to ascend :( for me whilst skiing is a major part, the original tribes had awesome bases too with the capacity to setup elaborate defences.

It kind of felt like that went out the window with ascend and it was just purely about high speed movement. The clip above looks similar

8. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah I do prefer levels of tribes & tribes 2 but still keen for it.

9. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

I never played Starsiege/Tribes. But looking at that gameplay, it seems to be very basic CTF. Weapons seem uninspired and etc. I'm sure that people who are familiar feel a different way, but like above, Quake 2 DM, Q3 and UT were my first arena shooters and the gameplay is vastly more involved.

Revenger likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

It sets itself apart being all about the Z axis (some call it an FPS-Z) , first game to do it online back in 1999. Possibly one of the first to also have building (deploy turrets etc) & classes

The slower projectiles make it hard to master but very satisfying. No hitscan stuff apart from the snipers. The movement is key with "skiing" being very satisfying.

I would argue the gameplay is more involved in tribes as you have to factor in the slower projectiles more then arena shooters & is about tactics and team work not just shooting people. Recent times have shown low appetite for arena shooters which seems to be about the skill gap for the good aimers VS the bad and lack of the progression that modern gamers want. With tribes there is many different play styles, if not the sharpest shooter stick to defending with mines/turrets, mortar & repairing base defenses.

I don't think itl be massive though as it might not appeal to new people.

A fan made crowd funded game midair (and now midair 2) is also worth a look for those interested in FPS-Z goodness

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    hoody_s13 and Elmf like this.
  11. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Yeah I'll give it to you that the movement in getting your angles right down and up with the speed looks pretty fun, but yeah. I wasn't present for the peak unfortunately!

walker_2003 likes this.
  12. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Not free = dead on arrival.

The world has moved on.

walker_2003 likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah it should be free to play but not pay to win like ascend was.

But it will still have a playerbase I think but nothing crazy

macktheknife likes this.
  14. rireland

rireland Member

seems to lack the scale of tribes. the originals felt uniquely massive at the time.

hoody_s13, walker_2003 and mAJORD like this.
  15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Well , not everyone's moved on.. just been forced into FTP uTransaction model, and accepted it as the norm in many cases. Given the legacy target audience, maybe not a bad idea at all.

Fitzi and walker_2003 like this.
  16. scips

scips Member

It's garbage, it's ascend with prettier gfx and extra bugs and shit feel. Do not support these clowns.

Tribes 1/2 had the most vertical wall learning curve of any game. I loved it because in comp everyone could rock out in their own way, it wasn't just cookie cutter have great aim = win. I practically just capped flags at high speed until early vengeance.

Vengeance was interesting times, it just wasnt better than T2 in any aspect at all.

Ascend was shaping up to be pretty cool until they just kept failing with balance because they didnt play and just wanted $$$.

Comp scene it just became reset the offence if the capper got tagged by the sniper on the approach, hopefully spam the hof so capper can backcap in 6 seconds and if they fail...cluster it back to midfield for a scramble. Pub scene was just a bit sad and the flag passing was meeeeh.

This studio is the same schmuck from hirez that killed support for ascend when the player base didn't buy buy buy all the micro transaction crap so he could bang out that pile of shit "Smite" that was completely micro transactions.

RnR and mAJORD like this.
  17. scips

scips Member

Assend wasn't p2w? Unless you count the weapon buying/unlocking they did later once they abandoned the stupid classes style but when everyone had enough points to unlock everything 5x over.

They'd release OP as fuck gun (plasma gun, kustom got like 80+ MAs with it on 1 map) before nerfing it into nothing the following patch.

They did the exact same business model in Smite with new gods, release OP as fk > buy buy buy > nerf into the ground. Repeat.

18. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Didnt you unlock things quicker if you bought some premium thing, been a while.

Which one is it? You make it sound like ascend was fine apart from balance and $, they have at least acknowledged the $.. perhaps balance will be better.

Maybe I just keep eye on midair 2.

19. scips

scips Member

Yeah, you had unlock the classes/items in the classes (started with free path/soldier/jugger) and the other 6 classes were just niche 1trick ponies.

Ah Ascend was shaping up ok, they were adding maps and balancing things. I remember endless hireztodd bullshit about the changes coming, the anti cheat upgrades and "espooooooorts" - then they released smite, it got popular (3rd person style moba when mobas were getting real popular) and they abandoned Ascend overnight and we got nothing else until a half assed patch like a year later (it did revive it for the comp scene for another year) but they promised more patches coming then abandoned it again.

Prodigy is just Erez Goren (co-founder of hirez with todd) and will drop this the second he has a more lucrative IP/idea to produce some half assed shit when this flops due to low numbers.

Q2 was 97, T1 was 98 and Q3 was 99. Tribes 1 CTF was just perfection of the CTF genre. This vid shows some of the depth (remember this is pre voice days so those 2 players coordinating is either the v chat menu or just mad coordination of mates.) and there is no goofy perks to catch the flag from 5-10m away, it had to hit your body.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    mAJORD, hoody_s13, RnR and 1 other person like this.
  20. RnR

RnR Member

I didn't mind Ascend, but mainly kept to the public servers that had large numbers of players per map so it was much more chaotic than your comp games. I didn't mind the chaos.

And yeah Hirez kept farkin' around with the community until it hit such a point that they have to nuke the forums on their own website and migrate to reddit. Ofcause Smite got their own forums on their website, but all the troublesome troublemakers no longer had a platform to ask pesky questions.

hoody_s13 likes this.