1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Trip Report - Blues & BBQ in the Deep South

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Agg, May 31, 2012.

1. onebogan

onebogan Member

Looks like heaps of fun! How much money did you end up spending, I'm looking at spending 2 or 3 weeks over there next year, going to Vegas for a 21st haha, just starting to save now.

2. Sciby

Sciby How long have you had these droids?

I can't speak for Agg, but I think I spent about $1600? including buying touristy tshirts and a few stock-ups on things like fresh boxers/socks/tshirts/shorts at Target (Why pack the things when you can just buy more there?) I also drove across to Texas after New Orleans, so I spent an extra $100 or so on fuel, etc, plus 3 days in Austin.

Food is ridiculously cheap in America - I think only one place we went to (BB Kings with the catfish) had prices that you'd expect in Australian joints, but even then it wasn't crazy. Alcohol is dirt cheap - my friends in Austin took me to Sixth St, where the night life is... bar hawkers were shouting about $2-3 beers and basic spirits... it was insane. $10 would cover a round for me and my friends. Even tipping wasn't as painful as I would have thought, and in fact I think it's something Australia should adopt, for various reasons.

3. onebogan

onebogan Member

Dayum, and here I was thinking of $200 a day budget, thats pretty good.

4. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I suspect Sciby isn't factoring in the cost of car hire there. He paid for car hire and I paid for accomodation, coz it worked out about the same. I was also buying more tshirts and DVDs and CDs and things, being much more of a blues fan than him. So I spent about $3k I reckon, ignoring airfares.

Anyway, Day 9 now posted. Only 2 to go!

5. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

You didn't happen to see a Five Guys burger place anywhere? Man I still have hauntingly sexual nightmares about that place. Sooooo good.

PS. Double Baconator, did 3 in 6 weeks. My body couldn't take them at a faster rate.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  6. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

fantastic pics. Although, i'd embarrassed to be the cop on that 3-wheeled "thing". His face said it all

7. millsy

millsy Member

Can I just say a big thanks for putting up the pictures of the menus and whatnot!
    Most people don't do that, and it's cool seeing what you get for your money there :)

8. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Hrm, not that I recall. Certainly didn't stop at one for food anyway. Next time? :)

Heh, from memory I'd just asked him a bunch of dumbass tourist questions then asked if I could take his photo, so he was probably not in a customer service mood by then.

No worries, mostly did it coz I couldn't order everything I wanted and try it all in one go.. stupid finite stomach!

9. pugsley

pugsley Member

10. Dreakoth

Dreakoth Member

Ii did a trip about a year ago, not to the south but we went like NY up to canada for a bit down to san fran, las vegas, into middle of utah/colorado/arizona/newmexico

Wanted to add my two cents for comparison purposes.

My take on the size of food was that it was pretty large, i guess its like eating a resturant main for everymeal.

Prices looked cheap, but u had to factor in 15% tax (like gst but not added to the menu price) and 15% tip (sometimes they expected 18%) so ur adding a good 30-33% to the ticket price which doesnt make it soo cheap for us. That $20 buffalo stake dinner was closer to $27 when u goto pay.

Beer was yeah on the cheap side, but overall very unimpressed with the quality, did you guys (scib / agg) stumble on any good ones?

I was looking forward to getting to drive some classic style american cars (would have loved a crown vic just to say iv driven one)
    the new dodge charger/ford mustang/chevy camaro's man they all look the same, they are to americans as falcodors are to aussies. When i got to colorado it was interesting because it changed to being all about the dodge RAM, ford Fseries and chevy Silverado's.

We did all the national parks, yellowstone, arches / grandcayon, Niagra falls, glaciers up in canada - as our main like theme, with a sub theme of food. Funny how america is so big u can visit it for different reasons, with food always being one of them :p

Makes me want to do a trip log, but all my local copies of the photos have gone from a RAID fail :D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  11. Grec

Grec Member

So THIS is what you get up to when you leave the AggCave... Fascinating way to pass time at work Agg, looks like it was a brilliant trip :)

12. eixt

eixt Member

That band in front of the footlocker is great! Also you should have gone for a swamp tour for the alligators in New Orleans. You cruise about on the airboats and feel like a real redneck :)

13. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

looks like you guys had an awesome time, bit jealous I must say

didn't know you were a cacher too agg... more of us on ocau than I thought

14. -Antiskeptic-

-Antiskeptic- Member

15. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

I would definitely recommend it! We ran into one in LA,Seattle, NYC and Miami from memory so they aren't one of those weird coast specific American chains!

16. kingjam

kingjam Member

Great trip - wish I'd seen the preamble - could have recommended you some better BBQ places and hole in the wall bars in Memphis!

Clarkesdale is great - I stayed at Ground Zero which was excellent. The night we were there there was a little kid playing lead - tearing it up, couldn't have been older than about 12.

Tell me you ate some Mennonite pies and just forgot to write it up!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  17. Everlong

Everlong Member

Nice travelogue, great read. I think that cemetery/crypt in NO was in Easy Rider :)

18. Fai

Fai Member

-Great work with the puppies :thumbup:

-Thanks heaps for the pics and commentary. Sounded like an awesome trip.

-I'm hungry now! :weirdo:

19. Mix-Master

Mix-Master Member

Yes +The saving of the puppies. I would of done the same. If not tried to bring them back with me.
    The southern trip sounds like my cup of tea. Maybe not too much of that food. Gotta watch the waist somewhat hehe.

Really enjoyed the write-up and pics, well done agg and sciby.

20. sjobeck

sjobeck Member

How much weight did you put on in that time?