1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tripods and arca mounts

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by xc351, May 15, 2020.

1. xc351

xc351 Member

Gents a bit of topic but my new rifle uses an arca mount yep the 1.5" dovetail mount.

So I'm looking a a good cheap tripod or 2. 1 standard standing height that will adjust down to seating height and maybee one that is 12" tall.

Weight isn't an issue

Also looking for an arca mount if tripod hanst enough range will need to add it in the mount.

Im fully aware good and cheap don't normally go together but thinking more of good bang for $$$$

2. TwinII

TwinII Member

I have a Manfrotto 055XProB which Ive had for ages. I am fairly tall and it is tall enough for me - I don't have the carbon fiber version - so it is quite heavy. It's a pain to travel with, but it is nice and big and study for my purposes. You can get bigger though.
    Most tripod heads these days have the Arca Swisse mount - if not, usually its pretty easy to buy a base plate off ebay for the camera or to interchange the plate on the tripod head.

3. OP
    OP
    xc351

xc351 Member

Do most tripod heads have a fair bit of swivel up/down movement? Or is it something u gotta keep an eye out for.

Weight isnt a issue I'll have a look into the Manfrotto tripods.

4. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Depends on the tripod head, different types of heads do different things. To me it sounds like you want the tripod for stability with movement, a lot of camera tripod heads are made for fixed positioning. I'd look into gimbal style heads that are commonly used with long telephoto lenses as they are designed to give lots of range of movement, anything else will basically be a compromise and annoying to use in that manner. I've got a ballhead style tripod head (Acratech GV2) that has a drop slot that can kind of be used vaguely for similar movements as a gimbal head, but I wouldn't want to be using it like that all the time as its not really designed for that to be the primary usage of it.