1. Win some Team Group goodies in OCAU's latest contest!
    Dismiss Notice

Tripods through airport security

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by spikes, Oct 8, 2008.

1. spikes

spikes Member

Are tripods allowed through the security checkpoint at sydney domestic airport?

I'm flying home tomorrow from sydney to ballina and wondering if they let it on, it'll be in a gym bag with clothes and some technology including my DSLR kit.
    Silly mum only bought a ticket with carry on lugguage instead of check-in.

So if I aren't allowed, I'll have to post it.

I've tried calling the security department but their office is unattended atm (WTF?? :confused:), but i left a message, describing my situation and for them to call me back, but i doubt they would though.

2. Azrael

Azrael Member

Depends on who you get. I have been told to check it in at Adelaide twice, let through once, checked in Melbourne once, let through 4 times, and told to check in Sydney once, but have only flown out of Syd with a tripod once too.

Good luck.

3. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

why wouldnt they let you bring it on?

4. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Make sure there's no sharp parts, or parts that 'could be' used at weapons. So long as it fits in the bag, it'll most likely be okay... because really... the worst that'll happen is they'll ask you to remove it and scan it separately on the way through.

So on that note, put it on the top of the bag.

5. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

It's just sharps they're after. If they find anything sharp you have two options:

• Go back to check-in and put it in your checked-in luggage (so you can't get to it whilst on the flight).
    • Leave it behind and they will dispose of it (some places like Melbourne Domestic will mail it to you at your cost).

You ARE allowed to carry knives etc on flights, just not in your carry-on bag or on your person.

6. VippiN

VippiN Member

I was let through with it as carry-on to Melbourne and back to Adelaide via Virgin Blue.

7. OP
    OP
    spikes

spikes Member

I managed to get through to them and the man behind the phone said they're okay :D

He just said anything that has sharp pointy edges will not be allowed. and the tripod is only 50cm long and has none of that so its all good.

thanks fellas :thumbup:

edit: btw, i'm flying with jetstar