1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tripple stacking Double gang pots?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by Bionic, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Bionic

Bionic Member

Hey guys. When I moved house a few months back looks like we have dropped or something has dropped onto the front of my cheapo surround sound unit I got from Aldi's some time ago. What happened is that the volume Pot got a fair wack. So I pulled it apart and the dead Pot is wierd

Its has 3x 100K 16mm Potentiometer Linear Double Gang B 's joined on 1 shaft. So when you turn the knob it turns all 3 pots at the same time..

Do you know anywhere that would sell these?
    I can buy singular double gang pots from Jaycar for $1.55 each. If I cant get them all joined together i will just have to use 3 seperate pots and mount them somewhere.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  2. wabbit

wabbit Member

Hi bionic.
    The only thing I could find was an audiophile grade, 24 step, 6 channel attenuator. The DACT-100K-6 at US$410 is probably not an option.
    Most amps use chip based electronic volume controls. There are circuits around if your up for building something.
    Cheers
    Rob

3. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Sounsd like one pot per channel for 5.1 surround.
    Have you tried www.rsaustralia.com.au? they might have something. Otherwise a new circuit or multiple pots may be the go.

4. OP
    OP
    Bionic

Bionic Member

After having a closer look at the PCB and tracing the wires thats exactly what it is..
    Yeah it looks like ill make up a basic PC with the 3 double pots. Or even 6 pots so I can control each channel :Paranoid:

5. wabbit

wabbit Member

I wonder how critical the 100K resistance value is. Solid state circuitry is usually relatively low impedance.
    Altronics have some dual, 20K motorised pots (www.altronics.com.au, search for R2000). You could use three of these, with the motors in parallel, controlled by a centre-off toggle switch or a couple of pushbuttons or, if you're really keen, IR remote, for volume up/down (provided there is space inside the box to mount them). Trying to juggle three, let alone six seperate volume controls doesn't sound like much fun besides the hassle of finding a place to put them.
    Cheers
    Rob

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  6. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Just go ghetto and string the knobs together with a rubberband, like tank tracks. Turn one and they all turn. :)

7. wabbit

wabbit Member

You would need to use toothed belts or gears to avoid tracking errors.
    Even the motorised pot approach is not immune to this problem due to clutch slippage.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006