Troubles? heres a procedure list

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by looktall, Jul 31, 2002.

1. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Troubles? heres a procedure list
    Lets make a list of Common problems and the most likely reasons, and how to fix.

WHENEVER INSTALLING NEW HARDWARE MAKE SURE POWER CABLE TO POWERSUPPLY IS DISCONNECTED, EVEN WHEN ATX POWERSUPPLY IS OFF THE 5V STANDBY RAIL IS STILL ACTIVE.

||| CAN'T INSTALL WINDOWS

Problem: various errors during windows installation

1. Check for faulty ram.
    2. Check for damaged installtion media.
    3. Check for faulty power supply.
    4. Check for faulty optical drive.

||| HARD DRIVE NOT DETECTED

Problem: hard drive cannot be detected

1. PCI bus out of specification, can cause problems
    2. Power cable faulty or not plugged in
    3. IDC cable in incorrectly or faulty CHECK BOTH ENDS
    4. Master/Secondary conflict, disconnect all other devices on chain.
    5. Check jumper settings. Some drives have a "single drive" setting, and won't work properly as a "slave" or "master" if they are the only drive in the chain.
    6. As a last resort, ie.won't work at all after everything has been tried and warranty is no longer valid (not if it's a new HDD), try the freezer method (freeze the hdd in freezer then try again)

||| NEW CPU NOT WORKING
    Problem: Damnit, cpu wont work.

1. Cpu incompatible with board
    2. Chipped core(only for coppermine/athlon/durons)
    3. Socket arm not down
    4. BIOS may need reset
    5. Fan failier protection may cause motherboard to shut down if there's no power draw on the cpu fan socket, make sure fan is plugged in if this applies to your board.

||| NEW MOTHERBOARD WONT POWER UP
    Problem: mobo wont post.

1. Check if grounded properly and there's no shorts
    2. Remove all unrequired hardware(soundcard, ide cables etc)
    3. Make sure ATX cable is plugged in
    4. Make sure your ram and CPU is compatible with this board
    5. Dont forget to plug in the atx power button
    6. Check bios reset pins
    7. Check keyboard wakeup jumper(serious)
    8. Check for correct CPU jumper settings. (If Applicable)

||| CONSTANT CRASHES IN WINDOWS
    Problem: BSODS etc
    1. Check VIA 4in1 drivers(if applic.)
    2. Set cpu back to stock
    3. Set ram back to stock
    4. Apply SB live+via patch(if applic.)
    5. Remove all hardware one at a time until problem disapears.

||| CONSTANT RESETS WHILE UNDER LOAD
    Problem: resets under load

1. Check powersupply handling capability, test rails with a multimetre NOT ONBOARD VOLTAGE MONITORING
    2. Not enough voltage for overclock
    3. Overclocked too far
    4. videocard,cpu overheating
    5. faulty wiring or possible shorting
    6. Check All capacitors around the mosFETs supplying power to the cpu, especially if you have an abit/epox board

||| Burns failing
    Problem: burning errors

1. Check power(SERIOUS) possible faulty molex plug
    2. Enable burn proof
    3. remove burner drivers from control panel
    4. update your burner software(nero imho causes least problems)
    5. Has it happened since installing windows XP? check compatibility.
    6. Update firmware
    7. make sure DMA is ENABLED IN CONTROL PANEL
    8. Put device on seperate chain
    9. Make sure PCI bus is relatively in spec(no more than 37mhz)
    10. Buy a CD-ROM Lens cleaner, the laser maybe dirty

||| CPU @ XX DEGREES. TOO HOT?

1. Check the fan is functioning
    2. Have you applied thermal paste?
    3. Apply thermal paste only VERY thinly (almost translucent)
    4. Heatsink seated properly?
    4a. Socket arm down all the way?
    4b. Heatsink collar correct way?
    4c. Heatsink not tilted?
    5. CPU voltage and speed correct
    6. System cooling?

If you system is not unstable, there really is no problem unless you wish to start tweaking
    Remember - too hot is a variable thing: What's hot for an Intel CPU may be normal operating temp for an AMD.

||| LAN NOT COMMUNICATING

1. Both computers on same subnet (eg. 192.168.0.X)
    2. Using straight-through cables on switch/hub?
    3. using cross-over cables for direct?
    4. Cable broken?
    5. Network hardware functioning (hub, switch, NIC)
    6. Ping each other?
    6a. Ping but don't see - do you have access permissions
    7. you are using a non-internet IP address (192.168.0.x, 10.x.x.x)
    8. Plug and play operating systems set to yes in the bios
    can cause lan failures

||| SKIPPING MUSIC WHILE PLAYING GAMES/OTHER ACTIVITIES
    Problem: mp3s are skipping while im playing games

1. Switch to Waveout in winamp
    2. Increase buffer length
    3. Increase priority of mp3 playback
    4. Increase block size

||| SYSTEM RANDOMLY REBOOTS
    1. if using XP or 2K, check to see if the automatically reboot on error function is turned off. (right click on my computer-->properties-->advanced-->start up and recovery[settings]-->system failure-->untick automatically restart)
    also appropriate for XP and 2K restarting instead of shutting down.
    2. check for faulty ram (You can use http://www.goldmemory.cz/ to test it)
    3. check for faulty power supply.

||| ERROR MESSAGE: "There was a problem installing this hardware :Hardware Name.
    An error occurred during the installation of this device.
    The data is invalid."

Problem: Blue Screen When Trying To Install Hardware And/Or Drivers:
    FIX:
    To fix this problem, go to Start, Run... and type "regedit" without the quotes, to run the Registry Editor. Navigate your way down to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
    ENUM\PCI

and you will see a number of keys in the form of "VEN_xxxx", where xxxx are strings like "1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_00011103&REV_04". Under each of these folders will be another folder with a long numerical name. Open each folder and look for the "DeviceDesc" which matches the hardware you are trying to install.

Right Click on the "VEN_xxxx" for that device and select 'Permissions' and then tick "Allow" for "Full Control". Close Regedit and then continue with the installation of your device. You should not need to reboot after you close regedit but some people have found that they do.

||| RECOVERING FROM A BAD BIOS FLASH
    Problem: System will not boot following a bios flash:

With AMI BIOS you can use the "Quick Flash" Method that is described in a file in AMIFLASH.ZIP. If you use this method, hold the magic keys DOWN with one hand and switch the PC ON with the other hand - just don't release the keys). Continue holding the keys DOWN until the FDD starts reading the floppy (you can give up after 5 minutes if nothing happens). This method won't work if the boot block is erased. Find AMIFLASH.ZIP at:
    http://www.ami.com/support/downloadagreement.cfm?DLFile=support/downloads/amiflash.zip&InpDrvID=90

Other Options:
    Modern motherboards have a boot-block BIOS. This is small area of the BIOS that doesn't get overwritten when you flash a BIOS. The boot-block BIOS only has support for the floppy drive. If you have a PCI video card you won't see anything on the screen because the boot-block BIOS only supports an ISA videocard, although the procedure will still run.

Award: At boot-up, the boot-block BIOS will look for and execute an AUTOEXEC.BAT file on a bootable diskette. Copy an Award flasher & the correct BIOS *.bin file onto a floppy and execute it automaticly by putting awdflash *.bin in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

AMI: The AMI boot-block BIOS will look for a AMIBOOT.ROM file on a diskette. Copy and rename the correct BIOS file on the floppy and power up the PC. The floppy doesn't need to be bootable. You will see the PC read the floppy, after about 4 minutes you will hear 4 beeps, this means the transfer is done. Reboot the PC and modify the CMOS for your configuration.

i have combined all the posts to make it more coherent. thank you to everyone who posted information and especially dezbin for kicking the whole thing off. (sorry i can't list you all. there's just too many. :D )

this is a work in progress, but it will only progress if we get more posts. please don't be afraid to make a post with some good troubleshooting tips and/or tools. and of course if there are any mistakes, or better methods, post in this thread and they'll be edited.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  2. dezbin

dezbin Member

living in a constant state of depression which is
    by request from a person from the forums could you add this as another possible reason (reset while under load)

6. Check All capacitors around the mosFETs supplying power to the cpu, especially if you have an abit/epox board

3. OP
    OP
    looktall

4. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Member

you legend. Everyone who builds comps should have this on their pin board.

5. OP
    OP
    looktall

while i am in fact a legend :)p) i only wish i could take the credit for this.
    as it says right at the bottom of the post, it was originally started by dezbin with contributions from lots of people.
    if i had've had my thinking cap on when i re-did it, i would have left it as dezbins post, rather than changing it to mine. :o

it just seemed easier at the time. lol (when in reality it's the same )

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

On cd and associated problems: Problem with EasyCD creator and similar programs re the removal of upper and lower filters which was a common fix for many cd related buring problems experienced. Wasnt mentioned in the list above but is a known issue with XP and 3rd party burning software.

LInk to MS: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314060

Another tip people recommend to disable WinXP built in burning support by disabling the "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service" (it can conflict with 3rd party burning apps like Nero, Easy etc).

7. jcady81

jcady81 Member

lol does this actually work?

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper Member

For networking...

If you can ping, but not view, or sometimes not even ping, check to make sure the duplex settings are the same, or not set too high for the hub/other device your connecting to. Sometimes even the Auto setting isn't that good, so try setting the computers at 10, then slowly move your way up until you find the highest setting that works...

and don't rely on network neighbourhood to view other machines...use the run under the start menu.

9. greatant

greatant Member

I think this would also be something useful to add:

If nothing seems to be working, turn the computer off (or leave it off if it wont turn on :p) and take a 10-20 minute break away from the computer. This should ease alot of frustration, and when you come back you might remember something you haven't tried yet.

10. Adam76

Adam76 Member

Medal of Honor

and for the lengendary game, Hedal of Honor...

Too fix un-installing and re-installing problem...
    delete this file from the registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Window
    s\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0DEA94ED-915A-4834-A87E-388D012C8E02}

Cheers!;)
    Adam

11. Casper1612

Casper1612 Member

CD Burning

Another issue that will cause coasters when burning is if you run Webshots. When burning a CD turn webshot OFF. If the screen changes part way through a burn the software (Nero for example) may freeze.

Cheers,

12. nwatts

nwatts Member

13. rachmaninov

rachmaninov Member

Constant crashes section

Perhaps an additional bit to go in here on setting RAM back to stock. I _declocked_ my PC2700 RAM which previously was at stock just to see if it would make a difference and lo and behold - no more crashes. I think out of all my experiences in building my system, this one has been the most illuminating since it revealed that what I thought might be a software or driver problem was actually a hardware issue which it would seem shouldn't exist.

My suggestion therefore would be 3. Set ram back to stock or if already at stock, try underclocking ram.

14. Hovo

Hovo Member

And before considering istalling Nero for your burning software, Ask your self do I want to use any other buring software?

Because there has been reports of Nero conflicting with every other burning program including when the program has been unistalled.

15. greatant

greatant Member

You sure you don't mean Ezy CD Creator?
    I've got Nero plus a few others installed and I have no problems whatsoever.
    However, Ezy CD Creator has been reported to conflict with Nero and others.

16. McDaddy_

McDaddy_ Member

If you have trouble running certain DVD's when using your DVD drive try changing (or adding, in the case of Win NT/XP) the aspi layer from the default windows one. I had numerous video DVDs that would refuse to play and came up with the error 'The disk is not formatted etc.'. You can try the ones offered by adaptec and here is some more info on the subject of the aspi layer.

17. jinxhavoc

jinxhavoc Member

I have acidently, without thinking, changed the CMOS reset jumper to clear while in the BIOS, now the power button doesnt work, what do i do? holding INSERT down doesnt work, neither does CMOS clear or even on normal or even taking the battery out with the power cord. please help me.

18. greatant

greatant Member

Make sure the jumper is back to it's original position.

19. Komp

Komp Member

Hi guys,

I'm a tech support modeator for the SGL forums, would I be able to copy your procedure list into a new procedure list we're making? I'd mention OCAU as the source, and of course post here our one when it's finished.

20. OP
    OP
    looktall

well i don't have a problem with it as long as the parts you use are clearly credited. it was a group effort and wasn't written by any one person, so crediting it to the members of OCAU (or just OCAU) might be better than crediting it to any one person.
    a link to this thread might be a good idea as well (even though non OCAU members won't be able to see it), and we'll post a link to your procedure list.

but before you get all cut and paste happy, you may like to check with the forum owner first. agg@overclockers.com.au
    i wouldn't want to give you permission to do anything he may disagree with.