Troubles? heres a procedure list

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by looktall, Jul 31, 2002.

1. adress

adress Member

thanks mate

2. Phaz

Phaz Member

6. Check All capacitors around the mosFETs supplying power to the cpu, especially if you have an abit/epox board.

if it's a socket A mobo, i'd check the caps regardless of brand. every socket A board i've dealt with has had this issue. and in some cases (like my old epox KT400 mobo) exhibit no issues whatsoever despite every 400uf cap being faulty

i also had a soltek board that wouldnt POST at all that had 2 bad caps

3. mrimpact

mrimpact Member

This was posted 4 years ago, and still it has saved my daughters PC. A bit of dust removal and no more cooking cpu. Was reaching 78c in bios only. Now sits at 48. Obviously have cooked the cpu, but it will still do her for msn'ing...lol

4. fabricator

fabricator Member

Here is a new one I encountered the other day, system would shutdown completely in certain games, but would also shutdown at random. Thing is once shutdown it wouldn't stay on long once turned on again.

Obvious temperature related somehow, system behaved the same with no video card and different ram fitted. Replaced overly thick and dried out thermal paste on CPU and it worked better. Reinstalled graphics card, then noticed there was no case fans at all, hmm must be that. a 120mm fan was donated and stuck on a convenient platform (the graphics card :lol: ).

It now worked perfectly, for a couple of hours until certain games were loaded. What the.... take closer look at North Bridge's odd heatsink. Argh, its too late at night to pull the entire machine apart. In the morning (overnight lans ftw) the motherboard was pulled and a very stubborn heatsink wrench off the northbridge core. Thermal paste was no only way too thick (2mm or so) but was rather hard to remove. I had to chisel it off with various things.

So short version, if you machine works perfectly with a fan over the northbridge. Check the thermal paste on the northbridge cooler (and CPU).

This was a reasonably new board with no signs of having anything replaced, and yet both CPU and Northbridge had concrete used as thermal paste. It should only be a thin layer when removed, with even coverage just enough to fill the few gaps, more like paint than plaster.

5. the Fan-Man

the Fan-Man Member

||| NEW MOTHERBOARD WONT POWER UP
    Problem: mobo wont post.

1. Check if grounded properly and there's no shorts

what do you mean by grounded? does this mean the motherboard has to be attached to a metal backplate?