True Story :)

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by @rt, Dec 4, 2012.

1. @rt

@rt Member

Hi,
    I'm forklift driving warehouse scum at the second lowest pay level,
    although I do lead a small team of four forklift drivers including myself.
    I spend most of my time digitally booking stock into the warehouse
    from storage stock for the team of drivers, controlling their work flow.
    My job is also to prevent interruption to the other three drivers by
    removing any identifiable obstacles.

One driver retrieves cases from storage, and receives a list of boxes to
    pick and deliver for the night. The list is generated with records in an
    order that is not of particular use to the driver.
    He runs around like a rat from one location to another.

I wrote a program for iPad that can sort this list in stock location under a second,
    and produce a sorted Excel file for emailing back to the company for printing.
    It also happens to give priority to stock with critically low levels in the warehouse.

So scumbag warehouse worker has a meeting tomorrow before work
    with the three biggest bosses of the warehouse, two of which I have barely seen, let alone said hello to in two years.

Program in question is child's play. Interesting times.

2. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Sounds promising good luck mate

3. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

This is how people used to do it in the early days of IT. There was just some dude who was good at techy stuff, and they ended up being in charge of the whole IT dept.

Add value to your position, but don't get roped into running the show. Just sayin'.

But, well done.

4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Nice one. Make sure you get fairly compensated.

It sounds like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_salesman_problem

5. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Awesome well done, hope the meeting goes well for you :thumbup:

6. consumer

consumer Member

Awesome buddy, keep it up.

7. Howiefied

Howiefied Member

You did it in your own time, or skills you learnt outside of work then you get to keep the IP afaik.. best of luck :thumbup:

8. patto

patto Member

Even with all the technology these days there are plenty of workplaces and systems where efficiency could be massively improved by good IT. Much of the time it doesn't really require good IT skills just the ability of seeing the problem and solving it.

As you said, the program was childs play. The bigger skill was actually seeing the problem and knowing IT could solve it simply.

9. chewbucca

chewbucca Member

Let us know how it goes!!

10. Rezin

Rezin Member

What kind of compensation?

11. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

Love your work.
    I am in a similar position and have been bitten once or twice by superiors taking credit for similar work done by myself outside the company.

WMSFTW :thumbup:

WMS=warehouse management system

ps any chance of an Android version?

Cheers and good luck:)

12. ysu

ysu Member

There are way too many pitfalls to mention all here.
    Because of your dependent situation, and because of your lack of experience and references in the field you're not in a good position to bargain.
    You're pretty much at the mercy of your bosses. If they are nice guys, you might get something running, or you might start them thinking: "if it's that easy, let's ask a renowned company to write something for us"

Then the question of mainenance & support, what if you leave the company, etc.
    It's not a clear cut situ, and as I said you're not in a great position.

If you get something out of it, be happy. Best of luck!

Remember; the price of goods is not determined by their cost, but their perceived value. If you can put forward a good value proposition it can worth a lot, but if they're thinking forwards, you'll have a hard time convincing them to use you as the supplier.

13. yoink

yoink Member

I was once in a similar situation (many years ago) - We were a smaller off-site office, and I'd written a helpdesk solution which suited our situation perfectly - we used it for a good 6 months, till the guys in head office wanted to know why we were continuously logging calls quicker and more efficiently than everyone else.
    Went for a meeting with them, and everyone was really positive, most were very keen to start using it. I even gave them a CD with the src on it, and so on... About a month later I head back that they'd hired a developer to create a helpdesk solution for them. Turns out they didn't like a number of things:

• It was in PHP & MySQL, they liked non-web based solutions
    • They didn't want to rely on me to update the software
    • They wanted to create the solution in head office, as I couldn't possibly have written this thing by myself :lol:

So, after 6 months they had a new solution, (at a cost of ~$60k, which was a lot of money back then), which:

• Had about 1/2 the features of my solution
    • Did not work across a network very well
    • Was rather buggy, but the developer they hired was on a contract, and had already left

After struggling with it for about a month or so, they went back to their old solution (which was really slow, and blamed for a lot of issues they were having).

Needless to say, I wasn't exactly impressed by any of this, rather just incredulous that this kind of thing could happen :lol:
    We used my solution for another couple of years before they upgraded everyone to a new solution, and mandated it was to be used...

Anyway, my point is: don't be too disappointed if they fuck it up, it does happen...

14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Financially.

Don't let them roll you into a software or IT role while still paying you your Forklift driver wage. (unless its super high).

15. ysu

ysu Member

Yep, it happens a lot. You'd be surprised. Hell, some people don't even trust a smaller company to do a job, and a lot definitely doesn't trust web technologies even today. Their loss - as well of ours. Really shame, as these are lose-lose situations.

If you put yourself in the shoes of management, it's somewhat understandable but still not good.

16. Zoltag

Zoltag Member

How did you go?

Protip: In the long run, it doesnt matter what they compensate you for now. What matters is whether you are able to sell them the idea. Do that, and be able to quantify the savings your company has made, and you have some very valuable experience that a company with a bit of vision would be willing to pay you for (who knows, you may already work for such a company, though your post leads me to think otherwise :)).

17. OP
    OP
    @rt

@rt Member

Thanks for the replies, I remembered to check the thread as I'm leaving in less than an hour to arrive for work early for the meeting.

I don't expect any reward out of it, it actually makes my job easier if it happens.

In my favor though.. (and I have read some replies here)...
    Someone did catch wind of the idea (my idea), gave it a go, and stuffed it up
    bigtime... cost the company thousands of dollars when all four drivers become unproductive due to fields within records being somehow shuffled with other records so we can't find the stock at all!
    (among several other unique and unfortunate errors that I can even fathom
    how they happened).

So, at least,,, someone is going to be very embarrassed/humiliated because he was
    actually paid to do it on work time :D
    I wasn't... the whole thing took twelve hours, not 2-3 weeks.
    Even twelve hours is only because it's an ipad app that has to have display code written for it, and ability to send & receive emails.

18. breno

breno Member

Be sure to let us know how you go..nothing worse than when some white collars think they know how to run the floor but than those on the floor (to some degree of course)
    I hope they listen and implement your idea into their systems :)

19. dragonFLAME

dragonFLAME Member

What happened?

20. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Thread fail !!