True Story :)

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by @rt, Dec 4, 2012.

1. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

He got the sack for being a smart-arse!

2. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

That's for Season 2, next year. :lol:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. OP
    OP
    @rt

@rt Member

One of the better possible outcomes... so far anyways.
    I'm famous in my workplace now.
    At least the paper based solution is a definite and immediate go ahead.
    Consensus among higher management is to go ahead with forklift mounted iPad when I'm ready (I'm thinking iPad mini is less prone to being damaged)
    This part took another two days for that to get back to me.

Bosses of our warehouse aren't bosses of the entire company,
    so more time & discussion, etc. is going to happen among higher management regarding forklift mounted iPad.
    It's a cheap "entry level" experiment that can be aborted at any time, unlike
    fitting out all forklifts with RF units and scanners with commercial software.

"Other guy" that gave the idea a go and made a mess of it still hasn't smoothed
    out his solution, and happens to be out of his position next year when we get back from holidays (nothing to do with this though, and it's a sideways role shift).

These are the most interesting times I've experienced in a work place, and I'll never forget it for sure... no matter what happens in the long run.

4. Zoltag

Zoltag Member

It sounds really positive for you. Congratulations :)

5. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Very positive outcome, nice one :thumbup:

6. Foliage

Foliage Member

@rt I always thought you were a very bright guy with your web in a box thing and your posts, obviously with you creating this etc you have proven this even more so, why the hell are you a forklift driver? You could be getting great money working for a company that lets you build on your skills every day instead of just occasionally in your spare time?

Software engineering companies hire people without degrees all the time and you are obviously capable, start applying and work in an industry you actually enjoy!

7. Sam_Q

Sam_Q Member

I agree with this, your obviously quite switched on and it would be a waste of your ability to be in a place like this with your skills.

8. OP
    OP
    @rt

@rt Member

Thx :) Studying IT next year, and hopefully that gets me out of the place :D

But might as well make the most of it for now, and how good will it look on my
    resume to have implemented something like this at work as a forklift driver :)

9. Foliage

Foliage Member

Study software/computer systems engineering at least!

10. rthy

rthy Member

software engineers indemand now, so it would be a good time to get the foot in the door!

11. OP
    OP
    @rt

@rt Member

Can't go to uni... got to pay rent!

12. yoink

yoink Member

Uni is overrated - if you know your stuff and can demonstrate the fact, that is much more important. :thumbup:

13. _slappy_dn

_slappy_dn Member

You can do distance education and work full time while studying, I am doing it at the moment and its not too hard, you can choose the course load that suits you best.

14. Foliage

Foliage Member

Its possible you are just broke as hell for a few years, absolutely worth it in the long run IMO

15. yoink

yoink Member

Don't get me wrong, I loved going to Uni, but as far as employability as an app developer goes, it means little - proven ability is much more important.

16. Foliage

Foliage Member

Yeah totally depends where you want to end up.

17. Zoltag

Zoltag Member

I have to ask - How long have you been studying and working full time for?

I found it impossible to study full time whilst working part time and everyone I know who worked full time whilst studying part time also found it really tough (most especially the ones with kids).

I think that if you have a high level of interest in the area and plenty of experience, then going to uni is of limited benefit until you start moving into higher levels of management, where degrees are pretty much requirements of the job. However, if you are lacking experience, or dont know what is out there, going to uni is a great way to show potential employers your level of commitment and also expose you to things you wouldnt have previously known about (which helps guide you into a field that you will enjoy working in).

I went to uni because I hit a brick wall in my career (employers loved my experience and knowledge, but werent willing to hire me into a position above the level I was at, due to my lack of qualifications). Once there, I found I enjoyed aspects of my degree so much that, whilst still in IT, I have now moved into a completely different area. I also find the companies that treat their staff better than the average IT company also tend to want higher calibre employees (and the first thing they look for is a degree).

18. _slappy_dn

_slappy_dn Member

Just finished first year, but I am only doing three quarters of a full load to make it bearable.

I have pretty unique circumstances where I am working in the mining industry on a 5 on 4 off 4 on 5 off roster, so have plenty of time off to get my readings and assignments done. I could possibly do full time study but I do need to have some time off, as the roster rotates between night and day shift so can be a bit taxing.

But going back to uni certainly doesn't mean you have to be broke!

19. gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

I study full time (4 subjects a week and 3-4 contact days depending on the semester, I just finished first year). Also worked 20-30 hours a week either at nights or on weekends, if you have to pay the rent you just get it done.

20. OP
    OP
    @rt

@rt Member

Shoulda done it years ago yes.. took a long time to grow up :D

There's a promotion for me when we get back next year.
    A job goes up on the board that everyone can apply for,
    it bypasses the regular system used to progress through pay levels.

That's good news, but I'm not going to be satisfied,
    and will likely end up leaving because it would already interrupt my study.