True Story :)

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by @rt, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Zoltag

Zoltag Member

Aah, your work roster would certainly make it easier :)

@rt - Congrats again. I hope it all works out for you in the new year!

2. _slappy_dn

_slappy_dn Member

Yeah it does, keep in mind though that my days on are 15 hour days ;) All balances out.

3. A_C

A_C Member

www.open.edu.au

If you can spear 10 or 20 hours a week, you can get a degree in 3 to 6 years.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  4. KriiV

KriiV Member

Unfortunely sometimes you can't even start demonstrating your skills without a piece of paper.

5. Foliage

Foliage Member

especially in engineering!

6. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

This is exactly what happened with me. I could find work in IT easily enough, but my ability to enhance my career came to a grinding halt due to me having zero formal qualifications. So, I figured I'd go to uni and do a three-year degree in computer science to get those qualifications...

... I'm now in my sixth year at uni, working on my PhD thesis :lol: I presented a research paper in a top-tier conference in the USA earlier this year, and had some great chats with researchers (and also received a few job offers) from companies such as Google, Microsoft, IBM, Hewlett-Packard, Oracle, and the like... so going to uni actually worked out quite well in my case.

I guess the bottom line is: follow your dreams, they may actually take you places :thumbup:

(for what it's worth, I was 33 when I went to uni)

7. Zoltag

Zoltag Member

Congratulations :)

I say its never too late to go to uni. I started at 28 and had retirees in some of my classes! I do think though, that if you arent committed to it, dont bother wasting your time, you'll just piss off the people that want to be there and eventually drop out anyway.

8. danstheman

danstheman Member

I completely agree with this. I am currently studying finance and computing through Open Universities and the failure/dropout rate is phenomenal!
    As with all things in life, if your heart isn't in it you will fail.

9. gregzeng

gregzeng Member

Graduate .. then join the brain drain from this "Fair" Land.

Retired now, but my nieces & nephews find classism in Australia so strong, they leave for USA & Canada. In my case (long ago), I joined the charity sector for low $$ but job satisfaction, using my multiple, rare tech skills. So if you want $$ jobs, leave this "smart" country. If you want quality of living, stay in Oz.

The thread-line of the above stories is similar to mine. Members of the trade union for computer programmers in Australia is poor at recognizing quality & talent. So 40 years ago, they used mini-computers. I had my organizations & clients toss these out for microcomputers.

Same employed goons, same tade union, don't know about iPads, smartphones, etc ... so only force every Federal-government linked organization to be Microsoft compatible. (No Linux, no Android, no Apple).

Retired Chief Information Officer 1984.
    Australian Capital Territory

10. Kebbitevoke

Kebbitevoke Member

so...26 days on, how have things worked out for you @rt? Did everything turn out good or turn out worse than expected? Or have things stayed the same because of Christmas break?

11. Zoltag

Zoltag Member

I find it interesting that your nieces and nephews run into class issues in Aus. I'm from NZ and found racism (in Sydney at least) is extremely prevalent (and quite confronting) there. Having now moved to London (much better pay and a lot more opportunity for travel), I find class prejudices to be very prevalent (thankfully being a Kiwi, I'm outside the class structure there).

12. Foliage

Foliage Member

Did you win?

13. OP
    OP
    @rt

@rt Member

Interesting read... this thread.
    It's off to work tomorrow after our 3.5 week break!
    Hard to be excited about it no matter what promise it has.
    I'm much more interested in the study I have to pay for, than the job that pays me.

14. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Just noticed this thread. You are trying to tell me that a forklift driver built this?

[​IMG]

Fuck me, I'm a senior electrical engineer with over 15 years experience and I feel like a dumbass when I look at some of your work.

Time for a career change mate.

15. Foliage

Foliage Member

Snap.

What the hell are you doing rt!!??!?

16. OP
    OP
    @rt

@rt Member

Employ me then. I will make it work, and you can fix the design flaws
    (I will have selected a transistor capable of switching 10x the current required
    for the application).

17. Foliage

Foliage Member

I think you really underestimate yourself, you should just simply try and apply for some random software engineering jobs, don't bother with uni, just go for gold. When you get an interview (and you will!) take your projects along with you and show them what you do in your spare time!

Most uni grads a) can't build things like that and b) wouldn't even if they could as they are lazy uncreative sacks of shit lol.

18. Symon

I'm an electrical engineer, not an electronics or software engineer. I don't think you would enjoy the stuff I play with!

19. Foliage

Foliage Member

Do you primarily work as an engineer (design etc) or more as an electrician in the field? Or is it just lots of both.

20. Symon

Management, so neither. I have others that do that work for me :D