[WIN7] Trying to install win 7?

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by chester123, Aug 19, 2018.

1. chester123

chester123 Member

Hello I have a Crucial 1TB ssd with windows installed. I bought a new mobo ram and cpu just recently. Windows wouldn’t post of course. Now I have windows install on a USB and a disk, but the motherboard won’t recognise USB only the ps2 connection.

I use the disk and I get these when I try to install a fresh copy or an upgrade or windows.

Attached Files:

2. philquad

philquad Member

provided theres nothing you want on the 1tb, (looks like theres stuff on it now)
    go to drive options, delete the disk 0, then you should be able to split\ install onto it
    its probably a gpt partition, so you need to wipe it 1st

3. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

What's your hardware setup? Specifically CPU. You probably acquired one that's "Windows 10" only.

4. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

First windows 7 works fine on a modern CPU. (screams along on my 8086k system).
    There's just an artificial limitation on windows updates that can be removed by installing WUFUC.

GPT/UEFI booting can also work fine in win7. I used rufus to make a UEFI only USB 7 installer from a standard win7 sp1 iso. (CD Doesn't support UEFI by default, rufus is good at sorting that part)

Win7 installer doesn't support USB3 ports / nvme drives etc. by default, so the easiest way to avoid most installation headaches is to slipstream the needed drivers onto the installation USB.

Depending on motherboard manufacturer you can download a tool to automate the slipstreaming of the needed drivers onto the USB you created with rufus. I know Asus and Asrock have the tools readily available. (I think the one I used on my maximus x apex was called Asus EzInstaller)

Point that at your UEFI USB stick you created, boot in UEFI mode, nuke the old partitions and start fresh. (windows hates switching hardware without a fresh install)

Once you get past that installation phase, everything works brilliantly.

[​IMG]

If you get really stuck, send me a message with your motherboard model etc and I can try help you track down drivers etc. Anything to help you avoid going to Win10. lol

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    THE D likes this.
  5. philquad

philquad Member

by the looks of his 1st picture, he must have some control to get to the " see the hard drive bit"
    i thought he just cant install to the drive, looking at 1st picture, you see disk 0 only has half of the 1tb free space.

6. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Yah, sounds like the drives read fine... he mentioned it already had an install on there, hence the lack of free space.
    Just lack of USB3 support and trying to use a standard CD installer (which wont support gpt/uefi setup) to work around the lack of USB2 ports etc causing weird issues.

The install can get quite weird at times. Took me a few goes the other day to get 7 running on a modern system.
    Will copy files etc, then bomb out with odd errors like above when it tries to restart.

My motherboard even has a ps2 mouse/keyboard emulator option built into the BIOS just for installing win7, but its just not worth the hassle vs just creating a modded installer with proper UEFI/USB3 support.
    Plus if you slipstream the drivers properly they are then included in rescue mode, so if you do crash a few times and it tries to auto repair, you're not suddenly stuck without access to your USB devices.

Just seems to be the most robust solution long term personally. :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  7. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Good Man :)

8. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

If the error is 0x000007b it's related to the SATA/IDE controller.

Which is usually easy enough to fix.

1) Stick it in your old machine and add the correct drivers
    2) Enable all of the controllers in the registry

This ancient thing might help (it's the same):

users.on.net/jvizard/myne/XPmoboUG