TS Licensing Mode won't stick

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by tin, May 7, 2012.

1. mwd

mwd Member

Er okay, please remember that you still should not install TS on a domain controller! I would recommend just getting another server and getting the SBS premium add-on for TS (not expensive and it is basically just 2008 R2 standard).

What do you mean by cheaper? They already have SBS! Exchange is great, what would you replace it with?

To be honest it sounds like you have no idea what you're doing. I suggest hiring an IT company that can provide real support and setup Microsoft products correctly.

2. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Thats where documentation comes in handy.
    All my clients have an up to date excel file with usernames/passwords to routers, sbs servers, access points, IPs of critical devices.

I dont actually lock them out, they just dont touch them because they know that i take care of it all.
    I have around 10 companies like that paying me a monthly contract fee to monitor and keep their servers and critical devices/machines up to date, backed up etc
    If anything happens, they hand over the excel file. I have had it happen twice in the last 4 years, one company got bought out by a much bigger company with their own in house IT, and the other one wanted someone who didnt have to drive 1.5 hours for a callout. In both cases, a handover of the folder containing all critical software, logs, username/passwords to routers and machines.

3. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

You didnt just get SBS 2011 because its a bit cheaper then 2008R2 did you?

If you got SBS2011, it offers you a LOT of options and features that 08R2 cant offer by itself.

Honestly, you need to really sit down and look at what the client wants now, and wants in the future.

You really also need to look at virtualisation as well.

4. ra66it

ra66it Member

Any decent AV has an exclusion list where exchange files are specifically excluded by default, or the admin needs to manually populate the list. Microsoft publishes a list of files to exclude.

But Trend "worry free" on exchange is a heap of shit, as someone else mentioned