1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Turkiye

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Zee, Jul 3, 2024.

1. Zee

Zee Member

Headed to Istanbul tomorrow (and still working out the rest) for 2 weeks with the Mrs. An actual holiday for the first time in forever vs business trips with some fun weekend side trips. I've been aching to get her to Istanbul for over a decade, and my first trip was in about 2003, and probably still my all time favourite city from a pretty prestigious list.

So, seeing as I'm 2 decades out of date, and Lire was still 1000000:1 vs $AU, has anyone been recently?

Any *must see" places you found - especially if it's off the beaten path? We're currently looking at hitting one of the underground cities for 3 or 4 days (Cappadocia region likely, specifically Derinkuyu), then finding a beach side town somewhere to chill for a few days before we spend a few more days in Istanbul.

I'd love to hear any tips!

Thanks in advance!

Z...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
  2. Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan Member

Grand Bazaar had a cool vibe. I stayed in Beyoğlu near the Galata tower which I'd highly recommend as an area to stay in.

Zee likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

Funnily enough, this is exactly where we are staying (Wings of Galata hotel - about 200m walk form Galata Tower). It's also a fairly easy walk tot he Grand Bazaar, and walkable to the two main mosques and the nearby tourist trap zone - lots of good stuff to see and very easy to part with cash!

I have to say though, things sure do change in 20 years (as you'd expect).

Z...

4. 007JB

007JB Member

I actually stayed in a hotel about 100 metres away from the hotel you are staying in, in October last year and really enjoyed my time there. Didn't really venture too far off the 'beaten path' though so can't offer any tips (Other than try the San Sebastian cheesecake at Viyana Kahvesi opposite the Galata Tower..)
    I do wish I had spent some time on the Asian side to see more of how the locals live though..

I found that even with large inflation it was a fairly cheap place in comparison to Australian standards, but probably expensive in comparison to Eastern Europe or South East Asia.. but didn't feel it was overpriced at all...

5. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

We spend a bit of time around BGC and Makati in Manila, and pricing is very similar, so yeah, no quite Aussie expensive, but not too far off.

We went to Karaköy (on the Asian side) a couple of days ago, and it is quite a nice spot for food and drinks - a bit cheaper than the area we're current;y in, which was kinda nice! It's still fairly touristy, but obviously more locals there, and restaurants and coffee shops are targetting the younger (and younger at heart) locals by the looks of it. Very cool area, lots of cafes offering many great options for instant type II diabetes, mixed with some incredible food - it's just so easy for everyone to find something they love, and the quality is high (something you get used to being very lacking in the Philippines).

We're headed to Cappadocia tonight, so seriously looking forward to that. Our only mistake was spending too many days n Istanbul and not having the time to get to the coastal areas. Having said that, we'll be bringing the kids back next time, as I actually find Turkey to be remarkebly kid friendly.

Z...

007JB likes this.