1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Turning fans on via switches, want to make sure.....

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Lukey, Jan 12, 2007.

1. SteakTheMooCow

SteakTheMooCow (Taking a Break)

2. Glock

Glock Member

Well, here is a highly relevant thread on the topic. Note that unless you're planning on using one rotary switch per fan it basically isn't gonna happen - I haven't tried it out yet, but I don't like the odds of the switch handling several times it's rated maximum amperage.
    On the plus side, one per fan would give you some awesome independant control.
    At any rate, it'd be easy enough to change out say the 5v or 7v for an 'off'. Enjoy.

EDIT: Note that there are many non-rotary, 2/3 pole, 3 postion switches that will handle way more current than these rotary jobbies.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  3. OP
    OP
    Lukey

Lukey Member

Exactly what I plan to be doing, i'm going to have 4 independant toggle switches, 3 for fans, one for computer on/off.

And I have some switches with 3 plugs on that I got today. So i'll have 7 volt (for web browsing, etc), 12 volt (for gaming, video editing), and off for when i'm sleeeping! (will still leave one plus cpu cooler on).

Only thing is I need some bare wires ---> molex connectors. Can I just hack them off an old PSU I longer use? If so, all is sweet :D

4. Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

^^ i'd be interested in seeing your switch panel, as i'm almost finished mine :)

5. 1337_g4m3r

1337_g4m3r Member

thats the best place to get wires for just such a thing, esp when hard rubbish collection comes around and every1 throws out their 486s from the garage,take out the psu and strip it, then just chuck it on ur pile out the front

but if the molexs will be of no use, considering their all male, and u'll need female so go check dse/jaycar/other electronic store and they can be had for around a buck a piece, but u should need any more than 1 for what u need.

6. Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

Quick question as the switches i bought are slightly different and just want to get some clarification. My switches have an LED in them.

Here's a pic of the back of the switch and of the package which also has a diagram:
    [​IMG]

Am i correct in assuming that the "Power/Supply" is supposed to be connected to the yellow 12v line from the PSU.

Then the "Acc/Load" is supposed to be connected to the fan's positive wire.

Then the "Ground/Earth" is supposed to be connected to the negative of the PSU.

Where do i connect the negative of the fan to? Straight to the negative of the PSU? So i'll have one negative from the switch to the PSU and also one negative from the fan? Like this:
    [​IMG]

... or am i totally getting it wrong and the ACC is for the LED which needs seperate power?

7. nux

nux Member

Yep that looks right.

8. Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

Hopefully, otherwise i blame Nuxie and i shall claim it on YOUR insurance! :D :p

norly, thanks... i assumed it was correct, just wanted to get a second opinion. Not really flowing with cash atm and don't feel like frying my mobo or psu... :wired:

9. nux

nux Member

Well if you had a multimeter you could test it to make sure.

10. Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

:o tested, yes, it's correct....

<- Retard

11. OP
    OP
    Lukey

Lukey Member

Hahaha, very nice man. I'm hoping by end of holidays to have my switch panel, blow hole, metallic gloss reflective paint job thingy (via spray can guide) to be all done! :D

And the old cable sleeving, etc. But it'll be a bit more dodgy, I hate tidying up cables :p

12. OP
    OP
    Lukey

Lukey Member

Forgot they were all male, stupid me :p. Ok, can't find them on jaycar site, or dse. I need them to have all the wires coming from a normal 4 pin female molex, and just end to bare cables. Or something I can cut (which doesn't cost alot for the connector i'm just going to cut off)