Turntable / Valve Amp / Speakers Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Major Neb, May 15, 2018.

1. Major Neb

Major Neb Member

Hey all

I recently bought a turntable from Aldi and hooked it up to my all in one not so magic LG bookshelf system, and well, it was disappointing to say the least. Great to get in the groove again with vinyl, bet meh it sounds like shit.

I don't know where anything is at these days with relation to what gear to get. I'd like a turntable, valve amp (if possible or will take other suggestions), and some drivers.

Budget $1000 - don't mind new or second hand - as long as it suits or pros out way the cons.

Appreciate any recommendations. Appreciate any articles or websites I can be pointed to as well.

Cheers.

2. Linkin

Linkin Member

For a turntable I would be looking at a Technics SL1200 MkII - an original one and not a reproduction. For a cartridge, Stanton 681EEE, again an original and not a reproduction. Stylus - Jico Shibata. I've found this to be a winning combination.

With vinyl, the most important thing is to keep it clean and free of dust. Personally I use the wood glue method (PVA glue) for cleaning records. The downside is that it can produce a lot of static, but that can be worked around. It also takes a lot of time.

You don't really need a valve amp, they do sound different to solid state. Any decent brand amp/pre-amp from the late 70s, 80's and early 90's should be more than sufficient.

Speakers - you want quality not massive wattage.

3. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

When your talking turntables and valve amps, your talking money. And like everything the higher the level the higher the costs. You have discovered that with your Aldi turntable.

"Linkin" has made some good suggestions, Technic's make some nice turntables, Just found this, which might suit you, and it comes complete with Arm and Cartridge.

http://www.aussieaudiomart.com/details/649428964-technics-sl1700-direct-drive-turntable/

As for your amplification, As your just starting out , forget all about valve amps, and go for a used Integrated with a phono stage. Unless of cause you have 5k or so for a Ming-Da, or something equally exotic and expensive. Valve gear does have an attraction, and for some weaves some sort of magic nostalgia. But like designer girl friends, It's all sparkly, Blue lights, etc. and hard on the wallet, It's also very over rated. Stick with a plain old Integrated, The sound will be the same with the lights out.

4. Hater

Hater Member

Also remember than valve amps are not as "maintenance free" as users of modern gear are accustomed to.

I'd get a 70's amp, in the 80's integrateds really went down the gurgler as far as build quality and sound quality goes, IC's in everything. Pity you're in Perth, I have a nice Technics built in '79 you could have, but it's heavy so would cost me $150 just to post

5. OP
    OP
    Major Neb

Major Neb Member

Thanks very much guys for the input! I like the idea of a 70's amp - still remember my dads gear with the bright yellow analogue meters on the front!

Thanks for the offer Hater! I don't ever get to Canberra. Some reviews I've gone through mention the Technics Turntables from Japan in the 70's, seems a lot of people like the sound and the rpm consistency. (Is that the right way to put it?)

Hi-end Head it would be nice to get one from 1972 - the year I arrived...

I'm also curious - can I damage my vinyl with a cheap record player / stylus?

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

vintage audio parts you'd need to restore them and have it checked over by somebody who knows what they are doing.

RE: stylus damage, you're more likely to damage vinyl if you don't adjust anti skate and counterweight properly.

7. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Under normal use there should not be a problem, But you have to remember that the cheaper models only have minimum adjustments, If any at all. So you get what you get, With better built [and more costly] models, There are more refined adjustments available, As Mathew has advised.
    Really buying the cheaper all in one models is false economy, if you intend really getting into vinyl, You would be far better of buying an established brand, be it new or 2nd hand. Just keep an eye on the used lists or check out Hi Fi retail outlets in your area , As they do have traded or demo gear for sale. Forget the Box sellers like JB or HN. While you might pay a bit more at a Hi Fi store, your also going to get help and advise with your purchase

8. OP
    OP
    Major Neb

Major Neb Member

To think of all the gear I've passed up at roadside scrummages over the years!