tv sound bars

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by anark1, Apr 26, 2020.

1. anark1

anark1 Member

recently purchased a new TV and the wife suggested a sound bar as she is not yet cool on fitting the lounge out with 5.1

are these units worth getting? maybe with a sub.

or are they pretty bad unless you start paying a fair bit of cash on them?

2. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

The second one. They’re average unless you spend at least $1200+.

a Yamaha rxv385 with $400 bookshelf speakers will be just as good as a $1200 soundbar set up and gives you a platform to expand to 5.1 when you’re ready.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

4. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Physical volume of speakers (box volume and baffle size included) plays a pretty big role in the ability to deliver quality sound. They're also throwing in amps, sound processing, input switching etc into relatively cheap devices.

If you want the best quality, don't look for something cheap and with lots of channels. A 2.1 or 3.1 unit will most likely be your best bet.

If you definitely want a proper setup down the track and holding off due to convincing the wife, I suggest looking at receiver+bookshelves+sub, perhaps buying bookshelves that will eventually become your surround speakers.

anark1 likes this.
  5. power

power Member

if you want to try out a half decent one without spending a lot, cash converters have shit tonnes of these things (at least the one I went to did).

My parents wanted something for their tele and I grabbed an older Sony soundbar cheeeeeap.

I was actually surprised myself how good it was, being an older bar it cost a fraction of what you pay for a new one.

It was fairly deep and their tele could have sat on it, had a great remote and all the other things you need.

Only caution i would make is older ones are unlikely to be HDMI 2.1 I guess.

anark1 likes this.
  6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think they meet the criteria in terms of space saving with often better quality than TV speakers. But really that's not saying much. I run a $150 sound bar (with sub) because the sound on the TV in the study is crap, it's a Soniq TV. The soundbar makes the sound pretty decent in the room and I'm quite happy with it.

If you're looking for a bigger room and want a really quality sound you're going to need a bar worth at least 1K..... and the rest. I like the compactness of the bar + sub without having to set up speakers around the room.

7. Zee

Zee Member

Sonos Arc about to be released - is an all in one 5.0.2 Atmos solution (probably). $1400 rrp, though.

Z...

8. Soc

Soc Member

I've got a Sonos playbar. We added Sonos ones as rear speakers and a playsub too.

All bought second hand, saved a motzah.

I really like them.