Twin Subs Setup

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by thmrsh, Mar 1, 2014.

1. thmrsh

thmrsh Member

Not really sure on how this is supposed to be setup when it comes to crossover frequencies.

Essentially my setup is
    Sub Spk Amp Spk Sub

Left sub = KSUB450
    Right sub = KSUB350

Due to the left sub being more powerful, I have this set to 40hz.
    The right is set to 120hz.
    The amp is set to 120hz.

I truly have no idea if this is correct, so any advice is great haha.

2. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

It is not the power of the sub that determines the crossover frequency, it is the resonant frequency. If this is not quoted, you want to be a couple of octaves below the maximum frequency.

You might want to couple the sub into the corner of your room. Normally this is not recommended, but it can be useful to boost the lower frequencies if you also remember to cut the upper frequencies down.

3. Red Spade

Red Spade Member

It depends on how far you want to go. You can start with the "doing it by ear and trial and error" - fiddling the knobs until it sounds reasonably balanced.

Or on the other end of the scale, you can go "all out" and follow the kind of process I've shown in this article called "The bass integration guide."

http://www.hifizine.com/2011/06/bass-integration-guide-part-1/

As a first step beyond fiddling with the dials, you may want to start with one sub and moving it around until you find the spot that sounds most balanced. A good first guess at placing two subs is one between the main speakers, against the wall. If possible, put sub 2 in the middle of the rear wall. Place the most powerful sub on the front wall. Set the sub crossover higher. With the rear sub, you will probably need to set it lower to avoid localising sound coming from the sub.

4. OP
    OP
    thmrsh

thmrsh Member

Intersting article.
    Come do it for me? :)
    Thanks mate

5. Red Spade

Red Spade Member