Two 128GB or One 256GB SSD?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by LukeyG, Apr 18, 2012.

1. meremortal

meremortal Member

I keep it simple. Install OS on SSD as C:\ as well as Office and most ordinary apps. 2 or 3 x 2TB HDs as E:\, F:\, G:\ etc with optical as D:\ or E:\ if you have two. Then games (Steam dir is 1TB and growing! ) goes on one of the HDD's. Backups (of the SSD) on another and crap, scratch, temp, dump, "working" drive for the other. I also have 3 x NAS devices - 1 x QNAP TS-659 Pro II (6x3TB's in RAID 5) and 2 x Thecus N5200Pro and N5200Pro XXX - (2 x 5x2TB'sin RAID 5). The Thecus are for work and the QNAP is for play. The new Thecus backs up to the old Thecus.

In the old days I partitioned drives. Now I don't bother, I just use the drive as the natural partition. Why bother? Drives are so cheap what's the point. Even on a laptop I used to bother with partitioning but now I just install the whole drive as C:\ and keep a folder for my working area.

NASs, IMAP, cheap HDDs (and cheap light external drives) have removed the need for partitioning for me.

My 2 cents. ;)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  2. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

Rarely have I ever encountered a situation where I could just reformat the OS partition and have all my programs work again. Chances are you'd be re-installing OS + software so keeping things separate is kind of pointless.

As for user data, if you save your files to a set location, I can't see how that would cause you any trouble in backing things up. Surely you don't keep your files in your windows folder or in your program files folders?

People are free to do what they want, but moving away from my obsessive need to partition my boot drives was liberating.

3. OP
    OP
    LukeyG

LukeyG Member

I am now thinking of getting an Intel 520 240GB SSD for apps and os (I went for the 5 year warranty :D ), and a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB for games.
    My question is, can I have these two drives in a Raid 1 configuration so i can use the Synapse with both drives?

[EDIT: Just did some research and answered my own question]

But with this setup can I get the Synapse to work with the Momentus XT i use for gaming, instead of the boot drive (a Intel 550 240GB SSD)????
    Thanks brah!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  4. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

how many games do you really need installed at the same time?

a 240gb ssd should be PLENTY for os/apps/games

whatever games you aren't playing move or back up to your data drive

and i wouldn't bother with separate partitions for os/apps/games

5. DarkForceMage

DarkForceMage Member

Don't see why not, although personally I think it's much easier having one huge accelerated C:\ rather than having to manage 3 different drives.

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  6. OP
    OP
    LukeyG

LukeyG Member

Thanks!
    My choice to go for the 500GB Momentus is because of the price point.
    Ill upgrade to another 256 or 512 when they become cheaper.

So will I be able to configure the synapse to work with the Momentus using the synapse software?

7. aznpsuazn

aznpsuazn Member

Is there some performance benefit to having apps/games on separate partitions on the same ssd?

8. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

on an SSD. even if there was it would be so negligible you would not notice. besides how big would the SSD be to really need partitioning?

9. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

For what it's worth, I do the same (just with a smaller SSD and I do my own symlinks)

OS & Core Programs/Games - 120GB SSD
    Other Games - 2TB HDD RAID0 (2x1)
    Data, etc - 1TB HDD

When I stop playing a game regularly and need the space, it gets moved to the Game Volume and I setup a symlink. Steam or otherwise. If I could do it again, the only difference would be a bigger SSD.

The upshot to having a RAID volume for the games is that moving them across is quick. Moving them SSD -> HDDs = ~200MB/s. Plus games load a little faster.

10. aznpsuazn

aznpsuazn Member

Yes thats what I thought. I think its more to do with OCD file organisation knowing that its physically in a different partition. Effectively its the same.

11. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

2x SSD's

One for OS, other for games and big apps. Forget RAID with SSD's

HDD's in RAID-1 for data storage.

12. DarkForceMage

DarkForceMage Member

I used to do something similar;

Went from

2x120gb ssd's raid 1(OS & games)

2x2tb HDD's raid 1(storage & games)+60gb kingston SSD intel SRT caching

Speeds were great for everything but managing two seperate raid volume's along with having no spare sata slots for future upgrades sucked. Tbh it was pretty inefficient as I didnt notice any speed increase going from a single 120gb ssd to raid 1.

upgraded to:

4x2tb HDD's raid 5(OS+apps+games+storage)+120gb intel 520 ssd cache

Bought the extra 2tb HDD's with the money from selling the extra ssds which also freed up sata slots, speed is virtually the same but I have 3.63tb space available, it's also awesome being able to install everything to C:/ and not worry about space at all.