Two pc's and two alternate monitors

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Mr B, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Mr B

Mr B Member

Seeking a solution to a flexible display setup for two pc's. My google fu is not acheiving the desired result.

I have two separate pc's, one monitor and one tv. Looking to be able to choose which pc displays on which display, either when one or both are running i.e. sometimes have pc 1 on monitor and pc 2 on tv, sometimes the alternate. Or, choose which pc to run on the monitor. Either only one or both pc's might run at the same time.

You are probably wondering why - its to provide for both normal pc usage and gaming on both systems at the same time with the little fella - however one pc is better than the other so this influences which one might run on which display, dependent on the task at hand.

I envisage some kind of hdmi switch that allows switching both input and output as above, but cant locate such a thing. I'm also not sure if this would create latency issues.

Appreciate any tips you might have, learned readers.

Edit: Useful information - one system/display can do 4K, so need to provide for this. 60Hz should be sufficient, but higher wouldnt hurt.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  2. havabeer

havabeer Member

i think you'll need to look at some sort of KVM (keyboard video mouse) setup up. google them

the CHEAPEST way i could think of getting around it will be to just double up on everything... so 2x cheaper wireless keyboard/mouse for both machines and just run 2x HDMI cables from both machines and set the displays up in windows as mirrored. This depends on what GPU out puts you have on both machines, other wise you'll be back to the KVM option mentioned above

nope likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Mr B

Mr B Member

Thanks havabeer

I had found KVM, but wasnt sure that this would do the job as they seem to enable control of multiple systems from one set of peripherals. These are essentially stand alone systems, I 'only' want to be able to choose the display each presents on. Two separate sets of peripherals is intended.

A key limitation is that I only have one feed to the tv, which is a converted hdmi over ethernet - otherwise I think your suggestion would be spot on - apologies for omitting this info.

I've played around a bit more today, and think that you are right that simply switching displays will work - it certainly works between two monitors, which makes me think that the extra monitor could be included in the mix. I might be bound to having only one pc able to go through the tv.

Appreciate your thoughts, I'll keep thinking about a better way - it seems hard but probably isnt :)