Two Weeks in Tassie, a 14GB Journey [30+ pics]

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Karjan, May 13, 2009.

1. Karjan

Karjan Member

So the wife and I decided to take 'the last holiday' before the inevitable pitter-patter of little feet happened. We love bushwalking and hiking so the past few trips have been around the South-West of WA doing as much as we could. But this time we figured we should go over the border for something different.

Having seen the many photos posted here about Tassie, yes wisie Im looking at you in peticular.. I managed to convince the other half we should leave the mainland and visit Van Diemen's Land, not that it took alot of convincing mind you!

We booked a week and a half originally, thinking we could do the sights and come back and relax a bit... Once we starting plotting out where we _had_ to go, it was obvious we needed more time. So four days before the flights we set about changing flights and accom. Thank god we did, as we still didn't see _everything_ we had planned.

First up we stayed at Cradle Mountain, literally 10mins away from Dove Lake.
    We were lucky enough(or not) to arrive during a cold snap unusual for this time of year and during our drive from Launceston it started to snow! Not having seen snow before we both were very excited to be out in the craziness, this of course.. wore off after the tenth time of almost slipping over on icy rocks.

Arriving at Cradle Mountain for the first time
    [​IMG]

It started snowing quite heavily and was freezing cold, so after a quick couple of snaps(all meh) we headed to the warmth of our cabin.

We hit up Liffey Falls the next day as we decided it was not a good day to climb the mountain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following morning I braved the cold (the Audi was showing as -6.5C!) and drove down to Dove Lake for the sunrise. I met another photographer there by the name of Mark Shean(Haha this guy) who was great company!

The sunrise was well worth the early morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We set off around 9am to climb the mountain, we made it up to around 1400m before a few slippery rocks and a increasingly worried wife decided that it was close enough to the top for us :Paranoid:
    I didn't get many shots from high up the mountain, it was cold, slippery and the camera was safely in my backpack :D

The view from Marion's Lookout towards our destination.
    [​IMG]

Starting our next walk along the Faces Track(?)
    [​IMG]

We arrived back at the beginning again nearly nine hours after starting. Just missing a nice sunset, but I managed to get this in the dying light.
    [​IMG]

One day we did the Wilderness train from Queenstown to Strahan, which I'd highly recommend if your visiting Tassie . But go first class, well worth the extra $$. Took shedloads of photos on the train, but since my wide angle lacks IS of any kind, they were all fairly meh.

We did however do some bushwalking to Hogarth Falls in Strahan.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We relocated to Swansea on the east coast for our next few days, during which we:

Climbed Mt Amos (The middle one)
    [​IMG]

Looking back towards Coles Bay from 2/3 up Mount Amos.
    [​IMG]

Wineglass Bay from atop Mount Amos.
    [​IMG]

Found Mathinna Falls. This was a hard falls to find, the lonely planet guide said to follow the signs from the reserve. So 16km of gravel roads later, we arrive at the falls. Only to discover the 'back road' which was only 1-2km from the tarmac... :upset:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We did the trek to Bay of Fires, I was rather disappointed TBH but it was a bright mostly cloudless day so that probably didn't help.
    [​IMG]

This was on the way to St Columba falls, which I didn't get a shot of that I liked. Its a huuge waterfall but goes thro trees and such.
    [​IMG]

We relocated for a final time to a beautiful house in South Arm, wish we had spent more time there as it was just great. :thumbup:

Going for a walk along the beach down and back from Fort Direction was well worth it, as a spectacular sunset started and I was ready for it :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Being tourists we went and did the Port Arthur thing. TBH didn't really interest me much, the amount of people and the boardwalks/supports/etc didn't make for nice photos IMO. But anyway..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This building freaked out the wife (site of the shootings). I didn't feel much, does that make me a heartless bastard :confused:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way back we stopped at the Tesselated Pavement, hoping for another nice sunset.. I just got an OK one.. :upset:
    [​IMG]

On our second last day we drove out to Mt Field to see the Falls

Russell Falls
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Horseshoe Falls
    [​IMG]

We visited the Cadbury factory on our way back (yum yum) and did a quick check over the nearby suburbs.. Figured I'd do a tribute to wisie and get this one from Otago Bay.
    [​IMG]

Well, I hope you enjoyed the photos and maybe even the story. I know I enjoying taking them, all up I took ~14GB of photos and video (D90)!
    Tassie is a beautiful place and Im already trying to work out how to move there permanently :lol:

Props to wisie for his awsome guide on photo locations in Tassie :thumbup: :thumbup:

C&C Welcome :Pirate:

2. hypie

hypie Member

Love the photos mate, great work. :thumbup::thumbup:

3. negatron

negatron Member

wow those are nice land scapes...

I wanna learn how to shoot like that!

4. kimnkk

kimnkk Member

Fantastic shots mate! Love them all :D

I especially like "Bay of Fires" (the one you were disappointed with). It looks so insanely awesome there!

5. derb

derb Member

ahhhh those are all gorgeous, i really miss Tassie.

6. xhanatos

xhanatos Member

awesome photos karjan, and congrats!

7. Colby

Colby New Member

did you get out to the nut?

8. disci

disci Member

Wow, what a nice set and a great trip Karjan.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards

D

9. OP
    OP
    Karjan

Karjan Member

I guess the long drive up there and the fact we were so exhasted didn't help, I was just expecting more hehe However I was happy with that shot once I had it home and could look at it properly. Instead of on a netbook at 1024x600 :D

The north west was one part of Tassie we missed along with a heap of the south, next time!

Thanks for the comments :thumbup:

10. computer newbie

computer newbie (Banned or Deleted)

oh my wow,, i just fell of my chair. sick as photos.

i love the one of that realy red sun set, we had something simlar to that in devonport a few days ago. i'll post up the pic when i get home today.

11. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Beautiful collection mate!

Making me really miss tassie... i should probably get around to processing the last half of my pics from my trip. It has been 2 years now :Paranoid: :p

12. ravenfiree

ravenfiree (Taking a Break)

The sunset shots are beautiful, even the shipwreck

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wow, some of the best Tassie shots I've seen. Absolutely fantastic :thumbup:

14. xishnik

xishnik Member

great set of photos!

15. Invictus

Invictus Member

Very nice series, thanks for sharing them :)

16. michael_

michael_ Member

ohh man, awesome images and thank you, i am doing a rally through tassie in august, we have 4 days starting in launceston going down to near hobart then back across and up to devanport i cannot wait now after these shots.

do you happen to have a list of all the places you went?

17. Maddog06

Maddog06 Member

Amazing photos mate! Really breath taking scenery and you seem have captured them extremely well! :thumbup:

18. malignau

malignau Member

Love them!

Russell Falls looks amazing! Must visit it next time im in tassie =]

19. wisie

wisie Member

Great series mate and I'm glad my guide helped :)

Although a little cliche location wise, I love your Cradle Mtn shots :)

20. phantom220

phantom220 Member

Wow, awesome photos mate.

Russel Falls is the greatest 10 minute bushwalk in the world haha :thumbup:

Port Arthur scares the bejesus out of me though, I can understand your wife's :wired: