U-Nas Chassis and OS Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Revenger, May 29, 2019.

1. Revenger

Revenger Member

U-Nas chassis are NAS cases where you put your own hardware in you get ones with 2-8 bays.
    U-Nas is a chinese company 'Wanyou Electronics' and goes by Yu Technologies.
    They also make a motherboard "U-NAS FA3215U-I" and accessories for there cases.

071A9057_1.jpg

The company also makes a U-Nas OS which is a free to use NAS OS and is based on Debian the english .com site shows a paid version as 2.0 so read below for newer versions on their Chinese site.

U-nas 4.02.JPG

The software is a web desktop and in a way similar to the Synology DSM interface unlike Freenas, Open Media Vault, Unraid etc which is a tabbed interface.
    It has updates, a app package manager to find new apps and it appears a lot of what Synology has in the same style interface.
    You can install packages such as Surveillance Manager, Office, Drive, Photo and Video/Audio Station and many others that are placed as their own alternatives to Synology's offering.

Note: While the Synology DSM is only available to Synology devices this could be a alternative to Xpenology the open source implementation of DSM for those that want the same style interface without all the hassle of 3rd party bootloaders and watching updates for compatibility issues etc.

The different types of chassis 2-8 bay can be gotten from here:
    http://u-nas.com/cases.html
    U-NAS NSC 800 OCAU review by Renza

There official sites are:
    http://www.u-nas.cn (Offical Chinese site with the latest OS Software)
    http://u-nas.com (Official English site with cases you can buy Note: the OS and website here is outdated)

Product information:
    http://www.u-nas.cn/products-uns-os.html

The software can be downloaded here as well as a English PDF manual and Android apps which are much the same as Synologies counterparts:
    http://www.u-nas.cn/resources.html

Important Information:
    ** Please go through the WebUI and Configuration menus firstly to get familiar with them and all options avaliable out of the box before making backend changes **

Changing Language:

When you install on the login screen top right is a drop down this changes the language default is Chinese.
    If changing it on the login doesn't work you can also do so in the user menu once logged in as shown in this screenshot.

[​IMG]

Login Information:
    User: admin / password
    Root: root / yutech

Note: root doesn't have SSH so you can login as admin and su to root then enable root for SSH if needed.
    If you need to change the admin users settings its done via LDAP explained below as its not a standard linux file system user.

File System:
    Default file system is: XFS but you can also do EXT 3/4

User accounts LDAP / home directories / shell / other things:
    User login isn't a normal linux users login, also not in sudoers, its a LDAP login which is a active directory database type login.

Using a LDAP manager like phpLDAPadmin you can create a home directory for the admin and other users (even mapping the home folders to the storage array) and change other user settings like login shell etc and add the user to sudoers.

LDAP database path is: dc=yutech,dc=cn

Changing wallpaer:
    You can add your own background wallpaper to the GUI backend.
    The wallpapers are lcoated in: /unas/desktop/wallpapers

Package Repos:
    Installer seems to use: http://hk.unasmirror.net/

U-Nas Repos: (Software / Updates)
    deb http://shanghai.unasmirror.com/debian/ callisto main non-free contrib

Debian Update Server Repos (Selectable in the Control Panel/Update Server)
    deb http://mirrors.aliyun.com/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free (Set as default)
    deb http://mirrors.163.com/debian/ stretch main
    deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main

Image shows the US_Debian_Org 3rd option above selected.
    update server.JPG

Note: Adding extra 3rd party extra non official debian repos from the ones listed above you might be able to do to /etc/apt/sources.list the format of where you can add extras in without affecting the Debian Update Selector I am unsure.

If you want to edit the listed main 'Debian Update Server' repo in the dropdown that is in: /unas/etc/updateserver/sitelist.json
    Under "oficialdeb":[ add a new section in there for your local debian repo.
    Note: This is for the main Debian update server not extra repos.

Storage Share location:
    Storage folders are located in: /mnt/nas/data

Install and Upgrading:
    **WARNING**:
    For installation unplug ALL drives except the one you are installing to and the flash drive.
    You also need to be at the device when it finishes installing or have it set to automatically boot from HDD or else the install will keep looping installing over and over.
    Once you start the install theres no going back, everything is automated and will wipe and install to the first hard drive.

Point releases: These are done in the control panel and stright forward and shouldn't affect any customisations, as a note if they are ones to U-Nas files being updated and changed just keep a eye on it.

Major version releases: You install from a USB drive like a clean install.
    - Unplug all drives including the storage array drives.
    - Storage array can can be remounted with a a few clicks in the control panel after install and will continue as usual.
    - You will loose all the extras you added as its basically a clean install.
    - Major releases aren't very often as V4 came out in July 2019. it'll be a while before a V5.

Notes:
    You can install webmin, copckpit and other system managers inside the Debian system for advanced settings.
    With Webmin you can edit the LDAP user info and and advanced settings directly in there.
    Virtualmin won't work as it's a full lamp stack and will remove the U-Nas Nginx install.

Scroll down for various screenshots and information from my initial install and impressions.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Agg likes this.
  2. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Why bother with their software? Just use freenas.

3. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Each person is different I found Freenas a bit too confusing to configure on a test system, plus I like to see what's out there learn and try different things.
    Also this could be handy for someone as most people don't know about this NAS OS.
    I am just looking around at what is out there etc as I have my NAS.
    So I thought I would start a discussion thread on this OS and their chassis.

4. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

5. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Nice review by Renza I have linked it in the first post and will read it through properly later as I have been eyeing up their chassis for ages if I was going to do a small build.

And with Microserver costs high Gen 10 is 1k, I may do that when I eventually if I ever outgrow my N36L.

The fact they are also cloning the Synology OS, would be appealing for many especially as a Xpenology alternative.

Downloading the OS but taking ages 12-20KB/s so I'll let you all see screenshots when its down.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  6. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I had a post typed but lost it.

Install is easy I used my Synology to install it on a VM in legacy bios as it can't do UEFI on Tianocore.
    After clicking install it installs automatically to the first drive with the other drives unused for storage in raid MDADM.

The system I installed is U-Nas 3.1.0, (3.1.1 updatable in the upgrade manager) there is a 4.0 in early development as of this post but its very slow progress.

2019-05-30 12_34_41-u-nas.png

Running a check command on SSH it is Debian 8 on kernel 3.16.

Code:
    admin@server-2:/$ uname -srm
    Linux 3.16.0-6-amd64 x86_64
    admin@server-2:/$ cat /etc/os-release
    PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
    NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
    VERSION_ID="8"
    VERSION="8 (jessie)"
    ID=debian
    HOME_URL="http://www.debian.org/"
    SUPPORT_URL="http://www.debian.org/support"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"

Default login is admin / password
    The default account isn't in sudoers,
    To switch to root you su and the password is 'yutech'

It sets up its own web gui and their own packages etc are labeled as -unas.

2019-05-30 13_13_36-U-NAS Management Center.png

The Gui is very simple the basics needed without advanced options like Synology has.

You have software Raid 0-6 to use on MDADM.
    There's also a 'Easy Setup' that walks you through configuration.

2019-05-30 13_46_21-U-NAS Management Center.png

Quite a few extra packages to install for the NAS UI part.

2019-05-30 13_33_55-U-NAS Management Center.png

Overall it seems like a super simple to use no frills nas os, if you want more advanced options Xpenology would be a go but if you are fine with very simple auto configured and once root can delve into advanced stuff backend this is worth a look I would say.

As the system is Debian switching to root 'su' and 'yutech' you can install what you want extra and update the kernel etc with apt-get.

Some extras the unas desktop folder for adding your own wallpaper is in /unas/desktop/wallpapers
    Also is the webpages for the system.

The mirror for the U-Nas packages are at http://hk.unasmirror.net/

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I Installed NoMachine and Mate on the U-Nas debian instal.
    No theme for mate Menta except its default backup one, (Just installed them).
    No local X server just using NoMachines built in one so a remote only X.

This way one can use the U-Nas webui for configuring the NAS side then if they want to run anything in a GUI (Jdownloader or something else) they can on Mate.
    I initially tried IceWM but had no window buttons.

2019-05-30 15_48_27-NoMachine - server-2, Debian.png

Shares:

Setting up shares is easy with the easy setup designating a few default folders as 'nas_data_folder' for share names which can be renamed to be capitals in both the nas and shared folder.

The easy setup default file system the NAS ui uses is XFS.
    The options for manual volume creation are EXT3/4, XFS and LUN and can be called whatever.

The location of the NAS share folders are in '/mnt/nas/data' with data being the volume name so you can easily setup a program outside the NAS ui to map to them.

Options for adding a extra drive to the pool, migration, recycle bin etc seem simple enough for novice users.

2019-05-30 16_13_04-U-NAS Management Center.png

2019-05-30 16_29_37-U-NAS Management Center.png

8. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

As a test I put the Webmin DEB in from the U-Nas App Manager interface via upload and it installed and is working fine.

So here is what I managed to achieve as a test.

Debian 8.1.1 (U-Nas install)
    U-Nas web interface (Changed port to from 80 to 5000 to match Synology and enable web servers in the interface)
    U-Nas Web Server (Port 80 tested 2 sites under 2 vhosts test1.lan and test2.lan both work sites are stored on the nas volume and not the os drive)
    Webmin (port 10000) (can configure Bind DNS server and the system installed Apache2 to serve vhosts on lan as well as can install Mysql etc) (Also has access to the MDADM and Samba management)
    Nomachine with Mate for a remote desktop GUI

If there's other stuff you want me to test please mention it.
    As it is the setup above would be great for my dad to replace his server 2012 R1 install.

9. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I've been playing around with Webmin out of interest connecting the U-Nas login LDAP users, which I have done so I can manage and make a home for them in Webmin etc.
    Needed to grab the LDAP data dc=yutech,dc=cn etc.

Also looked at the MDADM is setup in Webmin etc.

I'm just mainly learning and connecting services between the U-Nas GUI and Webmin and it's fairly easy.

One could take this knowledge and just use Webmin for MDADM or expand the system for multiple uses.

I may try a distro upgrade to Debian 9 out of interest.

Also will try to find out what's in the U-Nas specific repos.

Overall it's super flexible and very configurable once you get into the normal Debian side.
    I'm mainly doing this for fun with how it's put together and how I can tap into the settings etc.

10. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

U-Nas Version 4.0.1 has been released.

This runs on Debian 9.

Changelog is:
    I'll give it a run on my NAS in a VM.

11. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I installed it over the V3 on my Nas VM.
    The VM has 3 disks Disk 1 is the OS Disk 2/3 are the test data drives.
    Synology VM doesn't let you unplug or detach / attach / move virtual disks (sucks when Qemu, VMware and others VBox allow this).
    So I took a gamble and installed over the top of the VM.
    Install was fine though I think it installed twice, I'll explain below.
    On finish I logged in with the default 'admin' / 'password' (case sensitive) and when I went to the storage tab there was the data LVM volume Disks 2/3 with a mount button.
    Clicking the mount button mounted the data back perfectly with no issues no reconfiguration etc needed at all, everything showed back up in all the menus as if nothing had happened.
    - Information 2019-06-20 11:54:40 admin 192.168.1.148 Volumes Manager Logical Volume "/dev/nas/data" is successful mounted
    After that you just need to enable the shares for the folders.

Very easy to upgrade V3-4 by installing a new copy over the top and you just remount the storage back in. (though you lose every customisation you done to Debian backend)
    Point releases 4.1 / 4.2 etc are done via a normal update in the menus I imagine and as this is the first of the 4 series there's not going to be a V5 for a long while.

The install process you need to be very watchful and careful as I explained earlier.
    Once you boot up the installer there is a timer to auto install.
    Once the installer starts it will erase everything on the first drive and install without any prompts or warning.
    Once the system finishes installing it will automatically reboot.
    If you are not at the system at the end of install or have the bios to boot from HDD by default it will keep looping installing over and over.
    I had it install twice as I left it for a shower and to make dinner.

The system runs on Debian 9 though I need to get the point release from webmin on a install.
    Earlier I found how to access the LDAP to make a proper /home folder for the U-NAS login user which was easy enough. (Samba has a 'Personal Folder' option)
    This way you can install U-NAS then NoMachine with a virtual desktop Mate/XFCE/ICEWM etc using NoMachine's virtual display to do other things.
    If there is a option to have a home in the UNAS gui I will need to find it.
    There is a built in Media Server and Photo server for those that want one as well as a cloud office suite and Download manager via its App Manager.

I would happily recommend this distro for a basic user wanting a NAS setup.
    With the official download servers extremely slow just PM me and I'll share the ISO for you.

Here is images of the latest UI.
    The background of the login screen is animated with that web you can see in the top left which follows the mouse, including a login animation.
    It has a selection of wallpapers but as mentioned you easily add your own backend.
    If you want to see any more images or want me to do some tests and try things let me know.

Ignore the 'Folder is empty' message, as I made share folders in V3 but didn't put any data in them except the web folders for testing which were restored correctly.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  12. T1tan

T1tan Member

this is intersting. I'm thinking it's a toss up between this case and the Silverstone DS380 for a case.

Version 4 is now up on the website for download.

You mention Debian 9, can apt repositories be taken advantage of?

13. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I have a feeling you could easily add in the local main repos to the apt sources list.
    They do have a standard repo so yea you can install standard software from them.
    I have a feeling the repo they use is a clone their own they update as a stable base.

It's I mentioned it's on the site and grabbed it down the day they uploaded it, took a few hours as their servers are slow.
    So happy to share the iso.

The cases are interesting for sure they also do a full package with hardware.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  14. T1tan

T1tan Member

I am currently downloading it on to my other nas, will load up some vm's a little later this week for testing and will let you know how it goes :) thanks for the offer to help though :)

15. T1tan

T1tan Member

So I installed it, and spent a silly amount of time stuck on the login page... then read the quickstart guide located here: http://www.u-nas.com/report/users_report.html (with a stack of other data) and woops - should have visited https website.

The UI appears that it's stuck in Chinese language, probably mandarin. Any idea on how to change it?

Cheers!

Nik.

16. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I posted the UI and root login above

admin / password
    root / yutech

The admin user is LDAP so not in the Linux users.
    I also posted the LDAP database location and login.

As for language to right of the login screen is a dropdown that's the language selector.

Probably need a updated first post with some proper info I'll get on that tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  17. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Redid the first post with all the technical info repo and how to change language share and older folders etc.
    Anything else just let me know.

18. T1tan

T1tan Member

Ahh ok. So it did stay as chinese even when the login screen had english selected, so I reinstalled u-nas and then logged in again, again it was chinese. On a whim I tried in the top right corner and found the language changer. Boom, english! Last night I tried everything else possible (clicking on everything I could see or bring up, but I left out that one top right menu.

unas english.PNG

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  19. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Easy to miss I'll add it in to the first post as well as the login screen language.
    Update: Added.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  20. T1tan

T1tan Member

The following should get a decent apt-get repository going. Log into the unas session using putty. This is for debian 9 (codename: stretch).

I had to do this: # sudo apt-get install --reinstall bash-completion
    I had to do this: # cp /etc/skel/.bashrc ~/
    One of the above fixed my bash-completion issues.

# sudo cat /etc/apt/sources.list

# sudo echo "deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch main contrib non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

# sudo cat /etc/apt/sources.list

# sudo apt -y install software-properties-common dirmngr apt-transport-https lsb-release ca-certificates

# sudo apt-get update

Now you should be able to install anything that is sitting in the apt repository.