1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

ubuntu 20.04 not booting

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by evilasdeath, Jul 30, 2020 at 9:49 PM.

1. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

So ill ask here and see what sort of answer i get. Or at least point me in the right direction.

I have a server here, sitting quite comfortably on ubuntu 18.04 LTS got a heap of drives in it that have ZoL and its just a backup server i turn it on run an rsync then shut it down. It's way over powered for its job, but i got them cheap a long time ago.

It's a duel CPU supermicro X7Db3 with 2 E5430s or something like that., 20g of ram or there abouts. Got some HBA card sin there as well. Few generations old. Anyway i tried upgrading it to 20.04, and it didn't boot, since it runs headless i had no clue, finally attach a monitor. linux stalls booting, reads like it stalls waiting for hte CPU to finish something stuck for 15002 jiffies or something to that effect. It's kinda annoying as i have no way to copying the entire log since i don't get any interactivity. And things scroll past that might be important with no way of seeing them.

Thought maybe the upgrade went messy, tried a live CD it also couldn't install or even run setup i can't remember. 18.04 installs and runs fine thou. Tried it in an identical server (i have 2 with same hardware) same problem of stalls.

Now i've never really had a problem with ubuntu with old hardware it tends to just work, not sure if anything may have been depreciated or a default kernel option changed? I don't need it upgraded really, but i'd like to know why it doesn't work so at least a update won't break it.

What sort of things would people look at, and turn on off?

Troubleshooting it is a pain as need to plug in old monitor and sit on the cold concrete floor next to my rack...

thoughts?

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Boot your system from a live image, edit /etc/fstab, and comment out any mount points that are not critical for booting the system. Once done, save, reboot, and see if you get further.

Hopefully your ZoL stuff is all on separate mount points, and your base OS is just sitting on something more predictable across massive upgrades.

3. OP
    OP
    evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

oh i formatted the main drive, reinstalled 18.04, imported the ZFS so thats all fine.

But not even a 20.04 live cd will start it also gets stuck, i cant remember if it was same boot error or something different thou. This is without any other mounts. 18.04 installer works fine thou.

or just a way to boot that pushs the boot log to the usb flash? so i can read it all?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 12:22 PM
  4. OP
    OP
    evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

It may be fine at the moment, but how do i ho about determining why 20.04 refuses to boot? what should i be looking at? what can i disable or change options somewhere? is there a safe mode i dont know about that should just work?

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Disable graphics and use onboard graphics.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Gets stuck where? This really isn't enough information to help.

Hold shift at boot, and you can choose "recovery mode" from the "advanced" menu in GRUB.

7. OP
    OP
    evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

recovery mode also stalled when i tried it last week.
    This is the server so no graphical stuff just cli, and its only onboard. Cant remember if 20 setup died installing or died before install even ran, i think it was the later (i went backwards and forwards from 18.04 and 20.04 install usb that many times i forget which was which)

If it booted to any sort of a prompt i know how to look at the logs, and normally id think its some sort of hardware problem breaking it.

But 2 almost identical servers do the same thing with 20, but boot with 18 fine.

maybe ill take a screenshot of it, thats the only thing i got at the moment. It comes down to a paragraph of text thats not that readable what do you search for when you need to type it all out to ask the question.

The ZoL drives are fine, and they are just a backup so i can boot it wipe it whatever in the effort to troubleshoot its a what do it do to learn it. I dont even need 20 but i tend to upgrade it every few years just to learn with stuff. And i usually upgrade this before my main server.

8. OP
    OP
    evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

So pulled out spare server, tried installing 20.04 USB it stalls as attached.

Put in 18.04 install starts and installs fine, complete the upgrade to 20.04 and this system reboots fine. Ill transplant the hdd into the other system and see what happens another day.

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

transplant the upgraded Ubuntu install from the other server, and it boots and runs fine, Go figure, maybe the upgrade was munted from the start?

Still doesn't explain why the 20.04 install does not start at all on any of the hardware.

Only way i can explain it maybe there was a problem with this hardware in the one of the early 5 kernels? I'll never know as i formatted it away, its never had much on it to be incompatable, ZFS, NFS and thats about it, i boot it up to rsync and then shut it down.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 2:00 PM
  10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

11. OP
    OP
    evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Pretty sure from my screenshot that is post grub, and that is from the installer on a USB freshly flashed so i doubt its a grub problem.