Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by IKT, Feb 26, 2008.

1. kindakinky

kindakinky Member

OK, I'll try again :)

[​IMG]

What will happen If I select the "Request Removal" option from Adept? Will it remove this update, or the drivers from my system?

Cheers.

2. downforce

downforce Member

This one :D

3. kindakinky

kindakinky Member

Damn, that's what I hoping it wouldn't do.

Thanks anyhow. :)

Cheers.

4. downforce

downforce Member

Two things:

1. If you have an nVidia video card, you probably want this driver anyway.

2. Just hold the package. Not sure how to do it in adept but in a console do
    Code:
    sudo echo "nvidia-glx-new hold" | dpkg --set-selections 
    and it'll stop trying to update it.

EDIT: 2.1 I use wajig and it's even simplier ...
    Code:
    wajig hold nvidia-glx-new
    :D

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  5. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

since installing ubuntu on my laptop i now have a taste for the colour brown.

is there any way to make firefix web text look the same as ie its currently looks shit on my laptop its hard to read.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  6. Zoiks

Zoiks Member

make sure you have the fonts installed
    go add remove and search for fonts

7. Zoiks

Zoiks Member

on another note, i have just setup ubuntu on a new file server.
    Now what i want it to do is:
    1. Boot up
    2. log in
    3. start torrent program, mythtv backend and samba sharing
    4. lock itself

from here I want to be able to log into the pc from another ubuntu computer and take control of the desktop remotely.

I have tried XMDP but it logs in under a different user and you have to log out to finish the session.
    I have tried vnc but I couldnt get the computer to lock itself after booting and I couldnt get a vnc client to access it.

Ideally it should lock itself and then if I remote log in I should be able to log in onto the locked user, while nothing is being shown on the actual computer itself (unlike vnc).

8. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Yep, just into a terminal and type in sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts and hit Enter - this will install the very Microsoft fonts you are after to make Firefox look more "usual".

9. CS-Phr34k

CS-Phr34k Member

The other way to make the fonts look better is to turn off Hinting. Appearance Preferences > Fonts > Details > Hinting Off. If Hinting is on firefox and Open Office look as if they put in very strange spacing to lock edges of letters to pixels.

10. BlaYde

BlaYde Member

Hi guys,

I need help please. I'm totally new to Linux but have read and heard good things about Ubuntu 8.04 and thought I would give it ago but thus far my experience has been negative, simply because I can't even get Ubuntu to install on my box for some unknown reason.

I downloaded the iso image of Ubuntu 8.04 and burnt it to a cd. I then inserted this cd in to my system and let it autostart. It starts and gives me the option to either run it from the cd or install it within windows. Since you can run it from cd I thought I'd give that a go, however, upon rebooting my box, ubuntu begins to launch but then it comes up with a screen full of messages, messages which appear to be relating to some errors.

Anyway, thinking something fucked up, I rebooted my box, went in to Vista and launched ubuntu once again but this time I choose the "install within windows" option. The installation begins and all is going fine. The installer then asks me to reboot my box to finish the installation process and that's where I come across the first problem. Vista doesn't reboot and it freezes. However I left the system on for about 5 min in case ubuntu was still doing its installation.

After that time nothing was happening and Vista was still frozen so I thought I'll do the Ctrl Alt Del and as I was about to do that, Vista comes up with "application not responding" do I want to stop the process which I did. My desktop then became blank and again the system looked like it was frozen. I hit the reset button on my box and system begins to reboot. It then gives me the choice to boot to Vista or Ubuntu. I hit Ubuntu and the logo screen appears along with the progress bar. It stays on there for few minutes then the screen goes black (aka dos screen) and all this writing appears;

[184.977091] ata6: SRST Failed (errno=-16)
    [224.959875] ata6: reset failed, giving up
    [224.959946] Buffer I/O error on device sdc logical block 0
    [224.960303] ldm_validate_partition_table (): Disk read failed
    ata_id [2522]: main: HDIO_Get_Identity failed for '/dev/tmp-8-32'

(initramfs)_

Any idea what is preventing the installation? My ystem specs

Intel C2D E6600, 2GB ram, Asus P5W DH Delux, Nvidia 8800GTX, X-Fi sound.

11. HyRax1

It's having trouble reading the partition table of your hard-drive.

Launch into Vista again and then into a command line prompt (Start->Run->type in CMD and hit Enter).

At the prompt, type in CHKDSK C: /F and hit enter. Note down any errors reported. Repeat the same thing on any additional drives you have, eg: D:, E:, etc.

Once done, shutdown Vista as normal and reboot with the Ubuntu disc inserted and try and run the live environment again. If it still spits out partition errors, then it sounds to me that your hard-drive may have physical issues going with it, but relay back any new errors you get here and let's see what we can make of it.

12. MadOnion87

MadOnion87 Member

hmmm, 8.04 is a lot better than 7.10 imo, but having looked at osx i think osx is still quite a bit ahead

13. BlaYde

BlaYde Member

Ok done the CHKDSK tests on both my hard drives and no bad sectors or any other issue appart from C: where it said "CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated".

When I tried to run the LiveCD again, all the errors I mentioned above came up plus a handfull of others as well:

ata6.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)
    sd 5:0:0:0 [sdc] Asking for cache data failed
    sd 5:0:0:0 [sdc] Asuming drive cache: write through

I also ran the disk on my 2nd box and on this one LiveCD appeared to be going fine till my screen went all funny (like bad artifacts on the screen u get with a fucked gfx card) and then it started to flash a box on the screen which said "recommed screen resolution 1280x1024 @ 60Hz". Thing is the screen is set to 1280x1024@60Hz.

14. HyRax1

It appears the problem is not your hard-drive after all, it's the motherboard - there are several similar reports of problems with hard-drive access on the Asus P5W Deluxe boards and siblings. Have a read of it here. One suggestion refers to the BIOS, changing all controllers to "Enhanced" mode if drives are not being properly recognised (note that this may bork Vista). You might like to give that a try.

15. BlaYde

BlaYde Member

ok thanks HyRax1. I'll have a read. :)

16. BlaYde

BlaYde Member

thought I'd give you an update, HyRax1.

after reading the link you posted, I went over to the Ubuntu forums in search of more info on this issue and what I found is that this issue I have is widespread and not only restricted to Asus mobo's but to MSI, Abit and few others.

There were several solution posted, including the one you mentioned, however, the one that seemed to have worked for people with Asus boards was this line ( all_generic_ide floppy=off ) which you have to add once you hit 'F6" from within the main Ubuntu menu when booting Live CD and as a result I have successfully booted to Ubuntu and am typing this message from within Ubuntu.

I'll go back now and read more to see how I can install Ubuntu with that fix. And if all goes well then I shall begin the process of "learning" Ubuntu and how to do things in it.

17. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

great to hear you persisted with it and didn't spout off 1000 posts about why linux sucks and will never be ready for mainstream :thumbup:

18. BlaYde

BlaYde Member

cheers mate. I don't give up that easily plus as a long time windows user ( like most of us) I have gone thru many painful installation hassles with every version of windows.

the 25min of playing around in Ubuntu last night was enough to tell me that this is an interesting OS and it could be a viable option for running it on my main box, especially if I'll be able to get WoW and Quicken to run on it.

I don't play too many other games but if I want to and can't get them to run on Ubuntu, there is always the option of booting into Vista for that.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  19. HyRax1

Good on ya. I think you will find all up that there are overall less hassles with Linux than under Windows - certainly that has been my experience, on many different types of hardware, with the most annoying so far being getting the Broadcom wireless working on an old Compaq M2000 lappy.

I too, only use Windows for games - that's all it's good for. ;)

20. BlaYde

BlaYde Member

ok fellas, I need some help

I installed my 8800GTX drivers as far as I can tell, however, I can't seem to get the installer to launch for my X-Fi.

I dbl click on the 'installer' file and I get the option to 'run' or to 'run in terminal' but none of these seem to be installing the driver.

any idea ?

update: from my research it seems creative are a bunch of pricks and aren't in any hurry to release working drivers for linux.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008