Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by foxmulder881, Sep 10, 2008.

1. _the_duke_

_the_duke_ (Taking a Break)

I was running 8.10 for a few months and loved it. Last night I learned about Wine and used it to run AltBinz. Now I've installed 9,04 and I couldn't be happier!

2. tensop

tensop Member

works great here on this acer 5315 with a T7800 cpu in it + 1.5gb of ram, only single issue so far is having to run a XANDR command to fix the screen brightness controls

3. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

i have to say i dunno what they've done but compiz is slower on my shuttle with its intel chipset :(

4. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Yeah, there's a known issue about Intel gfx being slower under Jaunty than with Intrepid, though I can't find the bug report for it. My EeePC 701 suffers the same problem - Compiz is very choppy and the system feels like its lagging somewhat, like there's a background load being processed.

NVidia's fine, of course.

5. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

ah ok then... good to know

6. steffan72

steffan72 Member

does anyone know if they have grub setup on the install disk to run ext4 without having to mod anything.

7. kingborel

kingborel Member

Yeah it works out-of-the-box with ext4.

8. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04, flawless.

9. Scottatron

Scottatron Member

Same, except downloading took forever :thumbdn:

10. majikshoe

majikshoe Member

For every flawless victory there is an epic fail. In my case, the upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 resulted in me having to trash the lot and reinstall.

Downloading the packages took a while, but it was during the installation phase where things started going awry. Every so often I would get a popup saying "You already have this package installed and configured" - I got around 20 of those. Then the update of Grub popped up and said I already had a modified grub.lst, which was true, so I accepted the default of "leave it alone".

After installation had completed, a popup said something along the lines of "Update failed, check Synapse Package Manager and select "broken packages" filter", which I did, and it showed a good 100 packages that were busted - some of them looked rather important. Attempting to fix them was a problem too, by marking one as reinstall, Synapse wanted to remove a swag of other packages - some of which looked rather important as well.

I though reboot for victory (it never asked me too after finishing the update), big mistake. Failed part way though booting then couldn't start GDM. Lucky I could get to a shell to back my stuff up on to my 2nd hard disk, which allowed me to do a fresh install with minimal data loss. This time I made a separate /home partition, in case it ever happens again.

Despite all that its working fine now, and I'm quite happy with the end result.

11. HyDrA

HyDrA Member

Upgraded all my machines, all worked relatively well.

My mythtv box lost X - but that was an easy fix.

My macbook at work has an Intel chip in it... 945? Absolutely shit chipset. The only way I can get anything near reasonable performance is when using EXA under xfce w/ desktop composing turned on.

12. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

Working flawlessly on many machines...

Intel graphics is strange with 9.04

GMA900 (Dell X1) ... Good on 8.10 slightly worse on 9.04
    X4500 (Dell E4200) ... Awful on 8.10 ... slightly better on 9.04

Oh well... hopefully we'll be able to (semi-easily) get some newer code on there for the the performance regressions and kernel mode setting soon

13. kingborel

kingborel Member

Works fine on an old NEC P8100 laptop I have around for general use, and on my desktop. I'm yet to try and upgrade my MythTV box, I'm not sure if I want to .

14. mister_e

mister_e Member

I'm having a drama getting the touchpad scrolling to work on my D600. I've tried all sorts of different methods including addling SHMConfig lines to xorg.conf. Anyone else having this issue?

15. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

Upgraded without any problems, just a couple of niggles.

I had a launcher using the command
    Code:
    nautilus --no-desktop
    but it won't work any more.

I can get there from Terminal or the "Places" menu tho.

How do I see what the "Places" command is so that I can duplicate it for the launcher?

16. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

Yerp, still getting slow speed and random cursor jumps on my eee pc. No solutions out yet.

17. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

An option is to download the "alternate" CD via BitTorrent (took me mere minutes due to the massive amount of people in the swarm) and then use it as an APT location to upgrade from (you don't even need to burn it, just loopback mount).

It most likely won't cover all of your packages, but it should get most of the core stuff and save you some time. From there, you can continue upgrading everything else over http, which should be a much smaller volume of stuff to grab.

18. Blinky

Blinky Member

@ elvis, it's off topic but, I do like the new avatar :D

19. brodsta

brodsta Member

Grabbed it from Internode's mirror and booted it from a flash drive. Couldn't have worked any smoother. :D

Anyone else noticed that screen comes per default now and with several Ubuntu themes?

And for Christ's sake will someone remove the notification message for the network-manager applet? :p

20. millsy

millsy Member

Downloading x64 version now from work @ 700kb/s :D
    Anyone know if you can use this disk to upgrade the version that you can install as a windows app? I killed my GDM on 8.10 and couldn't restore it, so I went back to windows 7.
    It'd be really good to get it back, I much preferred ubuntu :D