Ubuntu Advert

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by neotheo, Jul 24, 2010.

1. neotheo

neotheo Member

In my interweb travels I came across this advert.

I think its great. Check it out.

Source: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/best-advert-for-ubuntu-you-probably.html

2. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Nice. Plays on the tried and true marketing approaches of Microsoft and Apple fairly well.

About the only stickler I could find in it was the fact that everything on the netbook's display was "fast forwarded" which may misrepresent the OS somewhat, but then again the same could be said of Microsoft and Apple too.

Now we just need an ad for 10.04.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

OK, so it's a great ad and has a great composer behind it. That's nice and all, but I'm left with some big questions.

Who funded it? Is this a Dell thing, an Ubuntu thing or just some FOSS fan (or a combination of them)? Where did it come from? Has it been played on air somewhere, or just sitting as a proof of concept in some marketing lab? (The video is obviously unfinished, with a lot of placeholder graphics).

And given that 9.10 was released in October 2009, why did it not air more broadly then? Was this intended for public consumption? Was it squashed (either externally or internally)? Was it just a "hey look what we can do" concept?

So many unanswered questions. It has the potential to be a great ad, no doubt. And I could see it really upsetting the big players in the market. I'm just curious why it never made it out into the wild.

4. IKT

IKT Member

the linux ibm ad is still the best one I've ever seen, it really captures what the whole thing is about imo.

5. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

This one?

6. elvis

I think IBM did three ads all up. Very impressive stuff.

Problem is they were too generic. They seem to talk about this new upcoming thing called Linux that is all mystical and magical, rather than a product people can go and get.

Although with that said, they were done in an era when Linux was still new, and certainly didn't have the desktop focus of something like Ubuntu.

I'm really curious to see how far Ubuntu goes with their desktop thing. They're putting a lot of effort in lately for server certifications (they're now certified as a Java platform, certified against IBM DB2, and have good partnerships with Amazon for EC2). Other than Dell, their formal attack on the desktop has been rather small (relying more on OEMs to bundle it, rather than any formal sort of partnership).

It'll be another 2 years until the next LTS, but that could be a good amount of time for Canonical to really start working on marketing.

7. v81

v81 Member

They make it look so quick.
    Open office is a dog of a suite to run in real life.

8. elvis

As mentioned, this is standard practice for all software ads (not that it makes it right, nor do I condone it).

Not on the second opening. :)

9. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

SSD solves all. :thumbup: Takes <1s to open on the system in my sig.

10. elvis

sudo apt-get install preload prelink -y

man preload

man prelink

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  11. v81

v81 Member

Buying expensive hardware or having to work around OO loading slowly is silly.

The competitors product 'just works'.

Sure, OO is free, but the quality of a product is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

Anyway, i wont be running Ubuntu any time soon.
    There is a documented bug that has stopped it working on my configuration for the last 2 major releases, and i don't have the time to piss fart about with it.

12. elvis

Microsoft Office installs pre-load software to load quickly. Are they silly too?

No, it doesn't. It installs pre-load software to work around it. And manual configuration is a part of any software (I'm certain you don't use default configurations for all items in MS Office). You are mistaking familiarity for superiority.

Subjective statement. Price is an important factor for many. As a father of three children, that's multiple copies of office I'm expected to buy for my children to do school assignments. Add to that the need for all the other packages they also need, and it all adds up. Zero-dollar software suits me just fine.

Not to mention the fact that for me the dollar cost is only part of the picture. I'm not comfortable using proprietary software for any task, and given the option of non-proprietary I'll take the latter. I find in particular Open Office to be of very high quality, particularly around the interface. I find the ribbon interface particularly horrendous to use (once again, speaking entirely subjectively).

No problems. I won't be using Microsoft products any time soon. Isn't it wonderful that we all have the ability to make our own choices based on our own needs? :)

13. v81

v81 Member

I don't care how it works, but default install, side by side MS Office 'just works'.

If you start talking about tweaking and configuration then you're no longer comparing apples with apples.

But i'll entertain you anyway.
    In my testing with the preload crap removed from both OO and MSO MSO still loads faster.

With the pre-load crap installed and running for OO, and removed and not running for MSO, MSO STILL opens faster.
    (my testing on an XP box a few months ago).

Lets not have this become a religious debate.
    I appreciate OO and everything related but I'm not a blind one eyed open source nut.
    The simple fact is that an open source product is not always superior to the proprietary solution it aims to replace / compete against.

I'm not avoiding Ubuntu by choice, it really does have issues on my hardware.

14. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

You don't need an SSD... my point was if it's that important to you, then spend the money. Hell, an SSD is cheaper than most office 2007/2010 suits.

FWIW I run OO on my laptop, too and it loads up quick enough. I timed it at 6 seconds. Atom N280 + 320GB WD Caviar Blue 2.5" + 2GB RAM. On the second load it took 2.5 seconds.

If you are going to be a whining little bitch about loading times - then consider that my little atom laptop takes 29.77 seconds to boot to a fully usable desktop. I can load up any .doc or .xls file faster from cold boot with Ubuntu and OO than Win7 Pro + Office 2k7...

Like Elvis said, use/choose what you want, but seriously - don't whinge about moot points.

15. elvis

First you say it's not religious, then you start calling people names for their choice of platform. These statements are contradictory, and honestly not necessary. Please stop the name calling.

Shall we get this discussion back on topic please? I really like the concept of a good, in-depth discussion over open source advertising. It really is something you don't see a lot of (and IMHO, one of the limiting factors in wide-spread open source adoption).

It's clear that other proprietary vendors put a lot of money into their marketing (whether it be through direct ads, or more indirect means). I wonder if/when the open source guys will ever decide that upping their marketing budgets (or for some, having one at all) will be an important part of their business model?

16. v81

v81 Member

Back on topic, i don't like how the ad exaggerates the speed of the OS / apps.

Yes, others do it to, but none this blatant.

17. tr3nton

tr3nton Member

Yeah. I too am interested. The comments on the post suggest it was just some student project that has surfaced on the web.

The whole thing is in fast motion, which you can tell by the speed of which the pointer is moved.

18. elvis

Interesting. Open source software definitely has a large footprint in the student "market" (thanks a lot to the cost, prevalence in universities, and "tinkerability").

I do hope someone tracks down the person/team behind this, and does a little Q&A.

19. stmok

stmok Member

When it comes down to it...
    The best advert for open source is to write better software.

There is simply no marketing campaign/spinning that can compete with the truth of what the compiled code demonstrates to the user.

This is why I believe open source advocates are not making effective use of their time or energy with such things as ads/campaigns/etc.

Let the code speak for itself.
    Let every problem and criticism be a challenge to be solved.
    True victory with open source is when people adopt it on their own accord. (They don't need to be "encouraged". They use it because they want to.)

No one really gives a crap about software, unless it does what they want really well with minimal issues.

20. elvis

stmok, many years ago I would have agreed with you. Having spent so long in corporate hell of late, I sadly admit that without marketing, good software doesn't even get a look in.

I've suffered through as the "cleanup guy" time and time again where shitty software was bought entirely on how it was marketed, and companies (and their customers) are left to suffer when real world features don't match up with the glossy brochure.

"Good code" is definitely a priority, but "good code" doesn't convince fat cats in suits that it's the right decision. I don't like it one bit, but it's a sad reality.