1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Ubuntu One gone dodo

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Blinky, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Blinky

Blinky Member

Just got an email saying that Ubuntu One service was to be shutdown.

Did any of you guys use it?

2. IKT

IKT Member

3. J-C90

J-C90 Member

Yep, I was using it - I liked how it integrated into Ubuntu/Nautilas. I used to sync various folders in my home directory for backup purposes. Now I need to find something else. Do any of the other cloud storage services offer good linux integration and syncing of selected folders?

4. tr3nton

tr3nton Member

I think dropbox has good linux integration, however none that I have seen to do the home folder mapping like U1 did. Most have a single folder that gets synced.

Also, on drop box: http://www.drop-dropbox.com/

5. J-C90

J-C90 Member

Yeah was trying to steer clear of Dropbox if I could help it. I have a google account and just had a play around with Google drive but it doesnt look like it even support symlinks to sync folders outside of the main sync directory.

I think Google have missed the boat here - by not having an official linux client and not supporting directory syncing outside the main sync directoy(even using symlinks). With Ubuntu One packing up shop, lot's of Ubuntu people are going to be looking to move and Google Drive isn't really an option for them.

6. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

I never really used UbuntuOne and I actually disliked the fact it was *so* integrated everywhere without an easy way to remove/disable it all. :Paranoid:

Granted this is a few years ago now and it may have changed... at any rate I have since switched to Kubuntu - the downside being that Dropbox integration for Kubuntu sucks. Nowhere near being on-par with Windows/etc. :thumbdn:

As others have said though - nothing of value was lost really...

7. OP
    OP
    Blinky

Blinky Member

110% agree with this^.

So much of their work is with Linux, you'd think they would have better support.

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I think there was commercial reason (Canonical are still not making money, and saw an opportunity). I think their failure was they didn't have the resources to drive it forward, hoping that Ubuntu users would just pay up voluntarily.

What they should have done was concentrated on business users, and leave the consumer stuff to Apple and Dropbox. Some sort of commercial backup deal hand in hand with support would be a nice niche to sit in.

Although Ubuntu/Canonical seem to miss that entirely. I've suggested for years that they could do very well with a "Ubuntu Small Business Server" type offering, particularly if they're smart and make it multi-OS with no CALs. Make it easier to set up and use than Microsoft SBS / Server Essentials, pay for support (like the RHEL model), and they could clean up in small business.

Hell, get in with someone like HP and load that up on their Microservers. So much potential...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  9. glasnt

glasnt Member

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Makes me sad.

(Thank goodness for The Old Reader).

11. OP
    OP
    Blinky

Blinky Member

Yes, ^this and it was a good idea to grab at the digi music market too.

Commercial entrenchment is a hard thing to break, a bit like addiction - Apple users are junkies.

I don't know about all eggs in one basket approach. A finger in every pie works, you just don't have to be a 'pie maker' - that's the trick.

Now this is a good idea, how bloody good were the Sun Qubes! :)

http://www.kevinomura.com/microservers/cobalt/qube3/

[​IMG]

Apparently it was only the big guy and me that loved G_Reader... But google does lots of stupid things for such a successful company.

12. clinic

clinic Member

I used it a little, mainly to transport settings and favorites etc from my ubuntu laptops to my win7 PCs. It's kinda redundant, but it was easy..