Ubuntu Server web access tools

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by @kernelhack, Oct 3, 2015.

1. @kernelhack

@kernelhack Member

I have been experimenting with Fedora 23 Server and access/management via web browser access through Cockpit. I must say that I am really impressed.

Currently, we also have Ubuntu Servers running and are managed via SSH. But it would be really cool to have a web access tool just like Cockpit. What sort of packages are available for Ubuntu Server which essentially provide the same level of power as Fedora's Cockpit, but for Ubuntu Server?

PS: Please DO NOT suggest Nagios. Thank you.

2. Primüs

Primüs Member

Never used cockpit so not aware of its FULL feature set - but the old favourite for server management via web is Webmin - works with a lot of the standard server packages and fairly comprehensive, but probably not as 'beautiful' as what cockpit seems to be.

3. Renza

Renza Member

+1 for webmin. I use it on both Ubuntu and Centos. It's not pretty, but it got plenty of plugins for the most common stuff.

edit: looking at cockpit, looks pretty fancy. might give it a shot on my centos VMs

4. OP
    OP
    @kernelhack

@kernelhack Member

To be honest, I thought webmin died out years ago and did not even realize that admins were still using it. Compared to Cockpit, webmin does feel very old and outdated.

5. OP
    OP
    @kernelhack

@kernelhack Member

Well I found one. It's called Ajenti. It's actually very good and provides all the tools that we need to manage the server via a web browser and remotely.

When you run it aside phpMyAdmin, between the two you have ultimate control over your entire server via a web browser. Ajenti is definitely worth checking out and comapres very well to Cockpit it Fedora Server. Best of all, it's completely free and open-source and can be installed on a variety of Linux server distributions.

Click to view full size!