Ubuntu, VLC, RX580 and HEVC playback?

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Dave, Mar 14, 2020.

1. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

I use newsboat + RSS feeds to browse YouTube channels that I subscribe to and have a keyboard shortcut (meta + v) to open in mpv automatically.

You can also play Playlists directly with youtube-dl + mpv

(Not my screenshot, I'm not a nazi)

[​IMG]

ae00711 likes this.
  2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Sure... all Apple fanbois are Nazis. (3 dot window is a give away)

3. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Hardware accelerated playback. I don't need it, it's just interesting how it no longer works.

ae00711 likes this.
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Hardware acceleration works in browser too.

But like someone said above, if I want a whole playlist channel, I just point youtube-dl to it and it grabs the lot.

5. flu!d

It doesn't work under Firefox?

6. elvis

Yeah it should. Firefox has used ffmpeg and GPU acceleration for a while now.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/performance-settings

The only tricky stuff is with DRM (Digital Rights Management, not Direct Rendering Manager). So Netflix and the like, although I think they found a workaround a while back (the issue was politics rather than technology).

7. flu!d

You can play it as modern codecs are very efficient, but Firefox definitely has no hardware video acceleration out of the box. As seen in my screenshot linked, video engine utilization playing back a 4k YouTube video is 0%. Under VLC that used to hit ~15 - 20% as VLC supports hardware video acceleration.

Posted a link as I run a 4k desktop and image is huge.

https://imgur.com/gq35jgr

ae00711 likes this.
  8. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Firefox 74 has hardware acceleration for h.264, firefox 76 has hardware acceleration for all codecs upstream ffmpeg does.

flu!d likes this.
  9. flu!d

All the YouTube video's I've seen are using the VP9 codec, including the video in my screenshot. I guess Firefox 76 is something to look forward to, I'm currently running Firefox 74.

This is actually really great news for Linux users.

10. Sledge

Sledge Member

Not sure if it will help your issue, but CTRL-SHIFT-Arrow(left/right) or SHIFT-SUPER-Arrow moves things around i think? Something like that.
    Is it a problem for you because the screen it comes up on is turned off? Or because you have to turn your head a little?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  11. OP
    OP
    Dave

Dave Member

It's a problem because it's my computer, and I would like it to work a certain way, a way which Linux doesn't seem to be able to accomplish, and Windows had been doing for years now.

Have moved over to Arch Linux, and have finally managed to get GPU hardware acceleration working in VLC.

VLC version - 3.0.8 Vetinari

Kernel - Linux mainlinux 5.5.13-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed, 25 Mar 2020 16:04:40 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Kernel driver being used -
    drm_kms_helper 237568 1 amdgpu
    syscopyarea 16384 1 drm_kms_helper
    sysfillrect 16384 1 drm_kms_helper
    sysimgblt 16384 1 drm_kms_helper
    fb_sys_fops 16384 1 drm_kms_helper
    drm 557056 12 gpu_sched,drm_kms_helper,amdgpu,ttm
    agpgart 53248 2 ttm,drm

Xorg driver being used - Log is attached.

Still having multiple issues with programs loading on the wrong monitor.
    In Windows 10, Chrome opens up maximised on my primary monitor, and is used as my default browser. Firefox opens up maximised on my secondary monitor, and is used for watching Youtube videos fullscreen.
    Every other program I use will reload on the monitor I closed it on, and nearly all will remember the windows size or if it was maximised.

Under Arch, If I set Chromium to start maximised, it will always start on my secondary monitor, chromium will start on my primary monitor if I start it restored down, but it won't remember the last windows size, so always starts in a small window, and Firefox will always start on my primary monitor, but it least it will start maximised.
    VLC will start on my secondary monitor, but the settings window always pops up on my primary monitor.
    Dolphin File Manager always starts on the primary monttor, but restored down, in a tiny little window.
    No programs seem to remember the last windows size in Linux.
    I tried a program the other day, can't remember which it was, but it always started on the secondary monitor, opened the first pop up window on the primary monitor, and the third pop up windows opened back up on the secondary monitor.

Am I expecting to much from Linux? Is it possible to actually have it load a program on the monitor of my choice, and at the sizing of my choice, like I can in Windows?

Attached Files:

12. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

You definitely can make Linux do whatever you want but you're not saying which WM or DE you're using, or how you're launching apps, for example, I launch chromium with a keybinding, you can chuck 'DISPLAY=:X.X' in front of any command to say which monitor you want something to run on, that's the simple way that works for me, but I don't have a DE and I just use sxhkd. The Arch Wiki has some helpful stuff for multi-head setups https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multihead

13. flu!d

Well run KDE, right click on the title bar and select More Actions > Configure Special Window Settings > Select which screen you want the application to appear on and you're done. Windows may have been doing it for years now, but the finely grained customization available under KDE smashes Windows out of the park.

Opening programs on multiple monitors is so early 2000's, specify which virtual desktop you want your software to open on, that's productive.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    ae00711 likes this.
  14. flu!d

Hangon, your dilemma is still a dilemma under Windows, as every instance of Firefox will open on the last monitor it was closed on. No different to specifying which monitor, or virtual workspace, or monitor under virtual workspace or activity you want your instance of Firefox to open under KDE.

KDE kills Windows for features. Windows is becoming more of a tablet/touch OS as time goes on.

15. flu!d

Most here wouldn't be old enough to remember 'shading' open Windows. Look at that screenshot, you can shade Windows under KDE - It's also a keyboard shortcut. The versatility is staggering.

ae00711 likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    Dave

Dave Member

Thank you, problem solved :)

ae00711 and flu!d like this.
  17. flu!d

No problem my friend, working through problems is what we're here for! ;)

I love the versatility of KDE, I smash through my work now.

ae00711 likes this.
  18. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Arch doesn't require you install a DE, but you definitely can

19. elvis

Logs suggest you've got some very recent drivers there, so I suspect that's what made it work in this case.

If you're happy with Arch, all good. If not, Ubuntu 20.04 will be out in late April, and will likely catch up with all the drivers you need. Distros like Mint are downstream "spins" of Ubuntu, so they'll catch up after that date.

As you've already discovered, Windows has one window manager. Linux as many (at least a dozen I can think of, likely a lot more). People often complain that Linux's massive range of choice is a bad thing, citing "fragmentation" and other such words.

Worth remembering that not everyone wants the same thing out of a computer. The wants you have here are valid - you are free to desire a computer to do whatever you want. But remember other people might not want the same, and that's cool too. My advice, particularly with subjective things like GUI behaviour, icons, screen decorations and the rest is to shop around for a desktop that matches your requirements. Unlike Windows, Linux allows you to do this. If you don't like the Windows desktop behaviour, you're stuffed. In Linux, there's always another DE (Desktop Environment) to try that won't force you to change the underlying applications if you merely want to change the way the GUI behaves.

I know it can be frustrating at first, but the sheer breadth of choice Linux offers is actually a very good thing. Lord knows, I don't want my desktop to be dictated to me by a US corporate. I like to be in control *my way*. Linux offers me that like no other system does.

flu!d likes this.
  20. flu!d

That's not a default Windows feature? How does Windows differentiate a Firefox application Window from the page it's showing?

I don't use multi monitors at all anymore, I make 100% use of virtual workspaces and activities with the ability to create virtual workspaces assigned to different tasks via 'activities' and the ability to lock the opening of applications to virtual workspaces, switching between each workspace by scrolling the mouse on a blank part of the desktop or using [CTRL & LEFT] or [CTRL & RIGHT].​

I love my single 4k monitor with fractional scaling, I gave the two 1200p monitors to the wife to work from home.