1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ubuntu, VLC, RX580 and HEVC playback?

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Dave, Mar 14, 2020.

1. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Most here wouldn't be old enough to remember 'shading' open Windows. Look at that screenshot, you can shade Windows under KDE - It's also a keyboard shortcut. The versatility is staggering.

ae00711 likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Dave

Dave Member

Thank you, problem solved :)

ae00711 and flu!d like this.
  3. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

No problem my friend, working through problems is what we're here for! ;)

I love the versatility of KDE, I smash through my work now.

ae00711 likes this.
  4. ae00711

ae00711 Member

mmm, nope.. iirc, I could have multi windows open of FF, and each separate window would remember which monitor it was on last... /i/irc :p

like I said, no big deal, I'm only running 2 monitors now instead of 3, and it only takes a sec to put a window to a monitor :)

5. ae00711

ae00711 Member

Does Arch use KDE?

6. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Arch doesn't require you install a DE, but you definitely can

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Logs suggest you've got some very recent drivers there, so I suspect that's what made it work in this case.

If you're happy with Arch, all good. If not, Ubuntu 20.04 will be out in late April, and will likely catch up with all the drivers you need. Distros like Mint are downstream "spins" of Ubuntu, so they'll catch up after that date.

As you've already discovered, Windows has one window manager. Linux as many (at least a dozen I can think of, likely a lot more). People often complain that Linux's massive range of choice is a bad thing, citing "fragmentation" and other such words.

Worth remembering that not everyone wants the same thing out of a computer. The wants you have here are valid - you are free to desire a computer to do whatever you want. But remember other people might not want the same, and that's cool too. My advice, particularly with subjective things like GUI behaviour, icons, screen decorations and the rest is to shop around for a desktop that matches your requirements. Unlike Windows, Linux allows you to do this. If you don't like the Windows desktop behaviour, you're stuffed. In Linux, there's always another DE (Desktop Environment) to try that won't force you to change the underlying applications if you merely want to change the way the GUI behaves.

I know it can be frustrating at first, but the sheer breadth of choice Linux offers is actually a very good thing. Lord knows, I don't want my desktop to be dictated to me by a US corporate. I like to be in control *my way*. Linux offers me that like no other system does.

flu!d likes this.
  8. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

That's not a default Windows feature? How does Windows differentiate a Firefox application Window from the page it's showing?

I don't use multi monitors at all anymore, I make 100% use of virtual workspaces and activities with the ability to create virtual workspaces assigned to different tasks via 'activities' and the ability to lock the opening of applications to virtual workspaces, switching between each workspace by scrolling the mouse on a blank part of the desktop or using [CTRL & LEFT] or [CTRL & RIGHT].​

I love my single 4k monitor with fractional scaling, I gave the two 1200p monitors to the wife to work from home.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  9. ae00711

ae00711 Member

mmm.. dunno.. now that you mention it, I did have multi-monitor installed.. maybe that did the smart background work?

man.. can't believe it's almost been a whole year since I made the switch and already I am forgetting so much windows shit... it's all fading into a distant bad memory! :p lol

10. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I honestly don't understand how that can work. You open Firefox, open a bookmark and what? It just flips to the correct monitor? That makes no sense.

Another KDE feature is you can assign Windows shortcuts, so you hit your shortcut and flip between active windows.

11. ae00711

ae00711 Member

no no, what I'm talking about is this:

you boot up your machine and login,
    you open FF; your previous session, say, had 5 windows, 2 on monitor1 (primary), and 3 on the secondary monitor.

/i/irc, each FF window will open, and remember which monitor it was on.

does that fix you posted before, apply /per/ window, or /per/ app?

flu!d likes this.
  12. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

OK, I see now. Yes, KDE does that also. If you shut down, upon restarting KDE remembers all of your open applications and reopens them on your desired windows/workspaces/activities.

ae00711 likes this.
  13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Didn't read all the replies so if it is a repeat apologies.

Same application opened multiple times in different windows on startup, sounds like you need to educate yourself on virtual workspaces. OR if you want firefox 8x on one big ass monitor then it is time to introduce yourself to a "tiling" window manager.

14. ae00711

ae00711 Member

virtual workspaces isn't everyones cup of tea. In fact that's why I take the path of multi monitor, because I hate virtual

15. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_using_workspaces
    So when my laptop boots I create;
    • workspace with all appropriate tmux + vim opened and ready to go
    • workspace with firefox opened and in dev mode
    • workspace with firefox opened and 5 websites I use
    • workspace with streaming music open and ready

mod key set to windows key (only because TUX key not available for keyboard) + 1-4

My eyes are always on the screen in front of me, no need to move my head or take my hand off the keyboard, once you get used to not using a mouse or touchpad your workflow improves.

IMO 2c

flu!d likes this.
  16. ae00711

ae00711 Member

my seating position means my kb hand is rarely actually on the kb.

different strokes for different folks

edit: f--k... that sounded wrong, especially that expression in combo

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  17. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

That may be the case, but the thing is: You can use virtual workspaces + multiple monitors, in the case of KDE you can use activities + multiple monitors. Multiple monitors on their own just aren't enough IMO, and any more than two monitors just requires too much head swiveling - As someone with four bulged discs in my back that's something I'd prefer to avoid where possible.

18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I saw over on Phoronix today that more changes are coming for AMDGPU/DRM in 5.7. Sticking with Arch and newish kernels will likely mean you'll see these improvements faster than other distros.

19. OP
    OP
    Dave

Dave Member

Had to get rid of Arch, I did like it, but could not manage to get Chrome to work correctly. I use a program called Free Download Manager, for it's segmented downloading feature, which would not work under Chromium. I tried a few alternatives, Persepolis, KGet, and XDM, but each had annoying issues, also had network issues under Arch, couldn't manage more then 30MBps on local network, and was getting annoying stop/starting using MPV Player when streaming 4K video from my server, spent several hours and could not sort that problem. VLC had issues with GPU hardware decoding where the program would just hang on close when hardware decoding was enabled.

I'll wait until the end of the month when new Kubuntu release comes out and give it a go. But so far it's looking like it's just not worth the trouble for me to switch over to Linux for desktop duties.

20. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

aria2 supports segmented and resumable downloads, there's a few pretty 'front ends' for it too.

What protocol were you using to stream? NFS & Samba should go as fast as your disks will over ethernet