Ubuntu, VLC, RX580 and HEVC playback?

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Dave, Mar 14, 2020.

1. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I honestly don't understand how that can work. You open Firefox, open a bookmark and what? It just flips to the correct monitor? That makes no sense.

Another KDE feature is you can assign Windows shortcuts, so you hit your shortcut and flip between active windows.

2. flu!d

OK, I see now. Yes, KDE does that also. If you shut down, upon restarting KDE remembers all of your open applications and reopens them on your desired windows/workspaces/activities.

ae00711 likes this.
  3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Didn't read all the replies so if it is a repeat apologies.

Same application opened multiple times in different windows on startup, sounds like you need to educate yourself on virtual workspaces. OR if you want firefox 8x on one big ass monitor then it is time to introduce yourself to a "tiling" window manager.

4. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_using_workspaces
    So when my laptop boots I create;
    • workspace with all appropriate tmux + vim opened and ready to go
    • workspace with firefox opened and in dev mode
    • workspace with firefox opened and 5 websites I use
    • workspace with streaming music open and ready

mod key set to windows key (only because TUX key not available for keyboard) + 1-4

My eyes are always on the screen in front of me, no need to move my head or take my hand off the keyboard, once you get used to not using a mouse or touchpad your workflow improves.

IMO 2c

mooboyj and flu!d like this.
  5. flu!d

That may be the case, but the thing is: You can use virtual workspaces + multiple monitors, in the case of KDE you can use activities + multiple monitors. Multiple monitors on their own just aren't enough IMO, and any more than two monitors just requires too much head swiveling - As someone with four bulged discs in my back that's something I'd prefer to avoid where possible.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I saw over on Phoronix today that more changes are coming for AMDGPU/DRM in 5.7. Sticking with Arch and newish kernels will likely mean you'll see these improvements faster than other distros.

7. OP
    OP
    Dave

Dave Member

Had to get rid of Arch, I did like it, but could not manage to get Chrome to work correctly. I use a program called Free Download Manager, for it's segmented downloading feature, which would not work under Chromium. I tried a few alternatives, Persepolis, KGet, and XDM, but each had annoying issues, also had network issues under Arch, couldn't manage more then 30MBps on local network, and was getting annoying stop/starting using MPV Player when streaming 4K video from my server, spent several hours and could not sort that problem. VLC had issues with GPU hardware decoding where the program would just hang on close when hardware decoding was enabled.

I'll wait until the end of the month when new Kubuntu release comes out and give it a go. But so far it's looking like it's just not worth the trouble for me to switch over to Linux for desktop duties.

8. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

aria2 supports segmented and resumable downloads, there's a few pretty 'front ends' for it too.

What protocol were you using to stream? NFS & Samba should go as fast as your disks will over ethernet

9. OP
    OP
    Dave

Dave Member

Persepolis is a front end for aria2, I tied it but it had issues with remembering passwords between reboots.

Should, but under both NFS and Samba, Arch topped out at 30MBps, I have no problem at all maxing out 1Gbps ethernet under Windows 7/10, or with any of the Debian based distros I tried.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  10. OP
    OP
    Dave

Dave Member

OK, slow local network speeds where not related to Arch, it's a KDE thing, Dolphin transfers are slow under Kubuntu 20.04 as well. FTP runs at full speed.

Also if anyone does a fresh install and has problems playing large files from SAMBA network shares in VLC, change the "Read Size" from 16777216 back to 16384, under Input/Codecs, Stream Filters, Prefetch. It's was broken in 3.0.8 and is still broken in 3.0.9.2.

Is it possible to auto logon with KDE, and not have to still supply a password to KDEWallet (it asks for the password when Kmail Starts), at every boot?

11. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Don't use KDE, however during Ubuntu install process there usually is a question about auto-login, if Kubuntu has this option just google the how-to, otherwise the answer is no.