Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by midget, Mar 13, 2005.

1. midget

midget Member

does anyone use the new(ish) Ubuntu on their regular computer? like... not a server, but their every day computer?

i've put it on my second computer and it ist as easy to use as i thought it would be... anyone have comments about it?

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've heard good things about Mepis. It's also Debian based, and supposedly very easy to use for folks new to linux.

I don't mean to do the usual "but Distro Y is so much better than Distro X", but in this case it might be the right thing for you. Mepis boots from CD ala Knoppix. You set it up the way you like, and then run the very easy-to-use installer. Give it a go and see what you think.

http://www.mepis.org/

http://mepislovers.com/

I believe Ubuntu is targeted more towards corporate users, and not so much the home user.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  3. timmy767

timmy767 Member

Ima bit of a distro whore, and I was using it for a week on my centrino laptop for about a week. I found it easy to use and configure, the only i hate about it is the GNOME desktop.
    What exactly are you having trouble with?
    Mepis as elvis said is another user friendly distro wich is extrely easy to use. I found mepis easier to use than ubuntu, mepis also has excellent support forums...

4. titan

titan Member

I'm using Ubuntu for a HTPC box at uni, and personally don't like it. That said, I'm a huge fan of Gentoo and its flexibility.

5. elvis

Was just chatting about this in another forum: There are so many different Debian-based distros around at the moment, yet none of them (for me at least) offer anything substantially above and beyond vanilla Debian.

I don't mind Gentoo. I've got it running at home on my main workstation, and it's pretty neat. However I've been struggling recently to deploy it in server environments. I've been finding nasty little bugs here and there that have been preventing me from using it where I'd like, so I'm falling back to Debian again, and it's ever-reliable stability in server environments.

6. titan

titan Member

The concept of Ubuntu (freezing Debian releases and "making them perfect", so to speak) is a good one. I think it will be quite successful in the future.

7. Techtoucian

Techtoucian Member

I gave Ubuntu a try and to be perfectly honest, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I think it's mostly made out of hype and expectations, so that when I got it installed I sat there for a few minutes and thought "Now what?"

It's a very polished distribution, and I'd recommend it to someone trying out Linux for the first time. That said, I haven't tried Mephis as Elvis suggested either.

8. coroner

coroner Member

i've got ubuntu going on my second computer atm, have been using it as a general computer for a few days when i cant be bothered switching the cat5 over. There are a few likes and dislikes ive got about it. Having said that if my cable wasnt capped at 2.5gb a month id look at trying gentoo, or putting vanilla debian (think thats the release name).

the new version 5 Haory ubuntu is suppose to have alot of new nifty features too.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  9. Hamal

Hamal Member

I don't like Ubuntu with its non-standard way of going about things. They've removed root which adds a layer of complexity to performing already quite difficult tasks.

I've also used SimplyMepis (the installable Live-CD version of Mepis) and that has been running on a workstation here for about 3 or 4 months now. Everyone in the house can use it (including the teenager) without many drama's (although I had to install GAIM to keep the teenager happy).

With that said I personally hate KDE. It is way too cluttered. The file browser is so unintuitive it isn't funny. The file-browsing experience is one of the most important aspects of a window manager to me. KDE's is too cluttered, Gnome's is just annoying (how do you get rid of that blasted 'open in new window' feature?). The best file-manager I've seen is XFCE's(nice network browsing!), but I hate the way XFCE looks :p

Getting back on topic, SimplyMepis has a good selection of default applications. It is very usable out of box once you get used to the interface. I did have some problems running Gnome applications in SimplyMepis though, the windows seemed to be drawn using some archaic and ugly theme which is probably a result of not having the entirety of Gnome installed on the LiveCD.

The second I get broadband I'll be downloading the full version (Mepis) and hopefully it will have Gnome integration down pat.

10. titan

titan Member

You mean the Finder style navigation where if you double click on a folder it opens a new window? You can change that, I just don't have a GNOME desktop handy to be able to tell you how :p.

11. SchRAMBO

SchRAMBO Member

Application > System Tools > configuratior editor /apps/nautilus/preferences - tick the always_use_browser

i'm not a fan of the spartal mode myself but apparently when you get used to it its great.

back on topic though about ubuntu, as mentoned already ubuntu is a very polished off distro and defnetly works out of the box but some things that have really irritated me about it are

- no root, very annoying and fustrating sometimes
    - uses the debian sarge installer for its partitioning. i'm probally too used to fdisk but I feel that its really limited in what I can do
    - logos, I don't like big fancy logos and spam on my desktop thankyou very much
    - no emergency boot disk creation apon installation
    - boots to X (yes I know a quick change of its init runlevel but thats besides the point when you don't have a compatable VESA videocard to start with)

thats about it for me but ubuntu has defnetly been the one distro that has tempted me to leave slackware for it.

12. thetron

thetron Member

It'a more of the basic operating system. Maker of ubuntu wants other people to come along take ubuntu and turn it into there own distro

13. elvis

Recenetly a friend of mine installed Ubuntu and noted that little things where missing. One annoyance for him was the CUPS web front end. Instead, everything had to be done by the GNOME CUPS frontend. Just one of those teeny annoying things that puts people off a distro.

Mepis sounds more like it: default install of the basic tools.

Honestly speaking, I haven't had the time nor inclination to try either. Gentoo and Debian both work just fine for me, so I've never been tempted away from either.

14. minushuman

minushuman Member

If you can use Gentoo, or have grown acustom to CLI linux's then Ubuntu is definetly not the linux for you. It's for the new user, like me :D Personally I love it. Synaptic is the best apt-get front end i've ever used, so very, very simple.

Once i found this i was up and running in no time, with everything that I could ever need in a distro. And it does have root, right from the get go you can open a root terminal, and the root user will have higher privilages. Root can either be accessed through the use of sudo or just opening a root terminal. The root password, quite confusingly, is your own password. If you want you can go ahead and give the root user a new password and a home directory so you can actually log on as root, but i havn't found a need to as yet.

It comes with the basics, one program for each purpose, and in that way i love it.

It does have some annoying quibbles, but still, overall it's an extremely polished package that is simple for even the newest of users.

15. Mr_PudS

Mr_PudS Member

i've started playing with this distro recently and i must say it is actually a very nice distro if your looking for something very easy to use as a windows alternative.

currently im attempting to do a custom install on a couple of low-end machines (celeron and k6-2) with just Gnome, Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office, and a media player of some kind.

any ever tried to do something like that? what distro did u use and how did it turn out?

16. elvis

For low end machines (586 architecture and below) my first two choices in order are Slackware (i486 minumum) and Debian (i386 minimum). Both can be run on next to nothing. Even FreeBSD might be a good alternative.

If you're low on RAM but still want GTK goodness, investigate XFCE4 instead of GNOME. The resource demands are much smaller, and things move much faster.

Many of the new distros popping up go for the whiz-bang factor to attract new users and switchers to Linux. The distros that have been around for a long time are the ones that still remember what it's like to run old hardware.

17. Mr_PudS

Mr_PudS Member

i shall look into using xfce instead of gnome

i was trying to stick with something like gnome or kde because they both had a sort of 'start' menu setup. the reason i wanted that was because the ppl who are going to be using these systems proboly aren't all that computer literate.

18. elvis

XFCE4 has a plugin that can mimic the "start button" behaviour. I believe there's even a thread about it in these very forums, if you have a look around.

19. Mr_PudS

Mr_PudS Member

yeah i think i know the thread your thinking of .... once i get xfce installed i'll see how i go

20. thormania

thormania Member

i liked ubuntu but i couldn't get my modem to work which made me :mad:

i prefer gnome to KDE but at least in suse (it has gnone too acctually) i could get my modem to work with no problems. that said my asus wireless card is another matter and i never really expected it to work in linux.

Eventually i plan on sticking ubuntu on my slow old laptop.