Ultra DMA CRC Error Count - What is this? Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by -Sk3tChY-, Jan 22, 2011.

1. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

I recently threw a spare Samsung HD501LJ into my server for some extra storage and ran HD Tune Pro to do a quick SMART check.

It came up saying the following:

[​IMG]

What exactly does this error mean?

Furthermore, I though Ultra DMA was something to do with PATA drives only? This is a SATA drive.

Should I be concerned?

2. rowan194

rowan194 Member

A CRC error is caused when a packet of data between the controller and drive (or vice versa) is corrupted in some way. 10 communication errors for a drive that's been powered on for 7+ months shouldn't be of major concern. You can try replacing the cable.

"UDMA" in the variable name hints at the legacy of an older interface when SMART was first created. It's not suggesting that you have an IDE drive. :)

3. peter10001

peter10001 Member

-Try different cable.
    -Look if cable connector is connected good with connector on mainbord/harddisk.
    -Other cables/parts can disstort the connection, but yours is low, so i do not thinks it's this. Put your cable different through your case, if possible.
    -Try a different controller connection.

4. issa2006

issa2006 Member

smart errors + smart software can be wrong sometimes(esp with ssd)
    (chang power+data cable(swap them for a diff hdd plug in)

pull drive(back up)(if you need to)

run manafactures hdd diag software do a long test to see if hdd has gone bad.

typ hdd has developed bad spots.

my 2004u(samsung 2tb) 2 months old did this.. bad, waiting warrenty msy.

5. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Ahh ok, thanks for that. Well the drive hasn't been powered on for 7 months at all, not sure how long it was used for previously but it's been sitting around doing nothing for a while.

How many CRC errors would you need until it started to become worrysome? Or are CRC errors generally always something wrong with the cable/controller rather than the drive?

Ahhh, so what you're saying is because the drive is plugged into an old controller (which it is, this is a very old P4 board) - That it will use older terms like that?

Cheers mate, thanks. I'll defnitely give that a try. This board is very old, so it's possible that could be the issue.

Is a CRC error generally always something to do with those variables?

Yeah, this was something I was planning on doing before putting any useful information on the drive. :thumbup:

6. Jonchilds

Jonchilds Member

UDMA CRC errors are caused by communication errors between the drive and the host (southbridge) and typically involve an issue with the drive, SATA cable or the motherboard.
    These errors aren't generally something to worry about in terms of an absolute count as errors may have occurred on day 1 and never re-occurred.

If the count is continually increasing, then there's an issue that needs to be checked out. If it goes up by a few counts occasionally, then I wouldn't be too concerned.

Check the count now, run a defrag (or something invoking lots of read/writes) and check the count again. That should give you a good idea if the drive is currently experiencing bad Drive-Controller communications.

7. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Right, I see I see. So they generally just mean there was a miscommunication between the drive and the controller? They don't actually mean there's something physically wrong with the drive.

I ran an error scan in HD Tune on the drive and it return with no errors, would this perhaps indicate those 10 communication errors are no longer present?

Sweet, thanks. I'll keep an eye on it, there's a good chance it may just have something to do with the old board and controller/ports.

Well I did an error scan and the count didn't move. I'll do a defrag and see how that goes.

Just wondering - If I were to reboot the PC, would that count then reset from 0? Or is it always going to stay at 10 now, because 'once upon a time' 10 errors occured?

8. Jonchilds

Jonchilds Member

The count wouldn't reset to zero if you rebooted the PC.

It's a lifetime error count for the drive, and there's no way of knowing when these errors occurred.

9. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Ahhh ok, thanks for the clarification.

Well I've done an error scan on the drive and it said the drive was fine, I'll get around to running Samsung's diagnostics tool to make 100% sure the drive is fine.

But long story short - As long as that number isn't continually increasing and running an error scan turns out ok, there's probably not too much to be concerned about?

10. Phaz

Phaz Member

i have this same problem on 3 of the 4 drives i have in my system.
    replaced one of the sata cables with a brand new one from a motherboard i had lying around but had never used but it makes no difference, is it just me or are the sata cables included with motherboards just plain crap?

should i replace with new cables, or start buying new HDDs?

11. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Well from what I've gathered as long as the number isn't INCREASING - Then it has made a difference.

Did the number continue to climb for you?

I doubt it, don't think there's really all that much to a SATA cable, especially the shorter ones. I'd imagine there's little to no difference.

The reason I'd say there's a chance my cable or ports are dodgy is because it's an ancient rig, Pentium 4 etc.

From what I've managed to gather - As long as the number isn't steadily increasing you don't really need to do anything. If it is, as people have stated, try using a different cable. If that doesn't work try a different port on the motherboard and if that fails - THEN consider a new hard drive.