Umbrella speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Dark Orange, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Stumbled upon these last night:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sound-shade-the-personal-sound-parasol

In short, they are battery operated blue-tooth enabled umbrella shaped speakers. They are cheap enough for what they are, and I am comfortable enough with my masculinity to actually buy and use them, they would be a practical solution for wiring (or not wiring) my covered deck area for sound.

Set them up when required, fold them up and stash them when not.

What does the OCAU brains trust think?

2. Fishface

Fishface Member

I'd wait for them to be released and some reviews published before handing over the money D.O.
    I can see them chewing through AA batteries.

A more conventional setup of compact speakers and Tripath amp would be cheaper and sound better.

3. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

But then I need to get the sound from inside the house to the deck - are there bluetooth amps I can use, probably in conjunction with something like a Motorolla DC800 hooked into the main stereo?

4. IceT(error)

IceT(error) Member

5. mtma

mtma Member

You can buy vibration speakers that you can stick to anything you want which are more versatile than this (also you could do exactly this with a vibration speaker and umbrella of your choosing today).

6. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

7. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

So I got that Resi-linx RL-BT100 bluetooth amp thing, arrived a couple of weeks ago and finally got around to opening it today and wiring it up on the bench.

First impressions:

Pro:
    * Solid professional looking design and assembly
    * all the bits are included
    * product appears to perform as designed.
    * Simple to set-up and install, even for someone with limited bluetooth experience.
    * there is a USB -> mini-USB lead supplied.

Con:
    * Minimal documentation.
    * The couple of B&W printed sheets of paper that comprise the installation manual are exact copies of the colour documentation that is not easily available on the resi-linx website. Colour documentation would be beneficial, especially when referring to colouredplugs, wires, and LEDs.
    * The documentation correctly states there is a mini-USB socket on the unit and a USB -> Mini-USB lead supplied and that is as much information as it gives. What is it for?
    * The minimum volume appears to be determined by the player, not the amp.
    * The product specs are minimalistic. I'd have hoped that an amp designed to be installed in a roof cavity would at least have a maximum operating temperature noted somewhere.

8. IceT(error)

IceT(error) Member

The USB cable is for naming the unit, if you go to http://www.resi-linx.com/index.php?id_product=21&controller=product, yes, I know you'll have to register for the downloads but the drivers and renaming utility are there. Also a manual is there too, not sure if it's the same as the one in the box (only ever used the online manual, binned the boxes before we read the instructions)

9. OP
    OP
    Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

The documentation supplied with the unit makes no mention of drivers or changing the name.

One annoying feature of the unit is that it powers up in the 'off' state, requiring use of the (small, easily misplaced) remote to turn it on before use.

As per their contact page, I just sent an e-mail to support@resi-linx.com and it bounced - "no such user".