Underperforming GTX 1080 Ti

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by overlord_88, Mar 28, 2019.

1. overlord_88

overlord_88 Member

Bought a Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti off this thread: https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...c-11gb-ex-mining-gpus-grab-a-bargain.1261518/

For whatever reason, this card seems to severely underperform other 1080 Tis. In a benchmark such as Far Cry New Dawn on a i7 4770 system it performs within 1 fps of an Asus Strix 1070 Gaming card.

I have tried it on a i7 8700 system and it consistently underperforms other 1080 Tis by 40 fps in Far cry 5.

Core temps are normal at 75 degrees and boost clock can get up to 1980 mhz and there is no significant difference in performance.

I have also re-pasted the GPU and I do not think it is an issue with GPU Core Temps.

Gigabyte has helpfully given me the following reply, and the seller does not have a receipt, if anyone have ever encountered anything like this, please let me know.

"Dear elitebhy,

From the images you provided, it shows minimum FPS is 1 fps lower than 1070 but it does not mean the card performs worse as you can also see all the rest values are better with our card. It's normal that the FPS goes up and down, if the hradware runs well, you do not have to worry about it.

Regards,
    GIGABYTE"

2. weak beta male

weak beta male Member

have u done a 3d mark bench?

sanjeevlives and im late like this.
  3. im late

im late Member

As above.

And when you do the 3d mark benchmark, compare the graphics score, not the actual 3dmark score (to other 1080ti's).

Also I hope this helps to compare - but the stock EVGA 1080TI I had did around average 70FPS at max settings in far cry 5 during their benchmark at 1440p.

Post a GPUZ screenshot and are you 100% sure the correct bios is on there for the card? This can be done from GPUz as it ties to their database collection so you can compare GPU part numbers to the bios flashed on it.

I did read where you bought it from and it does not appear he changed the bios at all,...still does not mean you don''t need to double check yourself.

What is the clock speed when running when in 3d mode?

4. nope

nope Member

FFS ireally should have read slower lol
    Yeah your basically shit outa luck with gigawankers rma since its a ex mining card
    theres a reason he was selling them and not even cheap ive seen them for 500-650aud
    Oh shit just saw you have a gigabyte too my g1 had the EXACT same issues with black screens hangs and artifacts on top of it NEVER BUY GIGABYTE even had motherboards die their quality is crap CRAP!
    Maybe contact the buyer and find out where he bought it? Gigabyte are beyond useless.
    I guess maybe ACCC could get involved in reguards to gigabyte giving you shit shunning you?
    sounds like u got played brotha
    my 1080 did the same thing and i had to rma it
    Didnt get off here thank god so ebay has decent warranty and buying protection WITHIN aus
    NOW that its fixed it sits at 1900mhz+ and goes fine.

Could you post up some furrymark gpuz screencaps?

it COULD be a case like mate above said its downclocking because custom bios and or was used for mining or some sort of other compsci compute?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  5. havabeer

havabeer Member

re flash the bios and try again.

6. Jazper

Jazper Member

Ccleaner, remove your drivers, start fresh

7. nope

nope Member

8. OP
    OP
    overlord_88

overlord_88 Member

Got 9186 as the GPU score in TimeSpy. The benchmarks I mentioned were ran in 1080p. The score is a bit low but not 40fps drop low.

9. OP
    OP
    overlord_88

overlord_88 Member

10. straiton

straiton Member

run the gpuz render test or a game, and see if the bus interface speed comes up to x16 3.0
    you have the GPU in a x16 slot? PCIE gen 3 enabled in MB bios?
    may not be this, as you've tried it another board

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Sphinx2000 and neRok like this.
  11. neRok

neRok Member

Yer, check this out. My 1080 at idle is reporting x16 1.1. Yours is only reporting x2.

And there are easier ways to take screenshots :lol: There's a button on the interface for starts.

12. power

power Member

is the card getting enough juice, what psu and mobo combo are we looking at here?

garnet and nope like this.
  13. im late

im late Member

Correct on doing the render test to "show" in GPUz PCIe x16 3.0, however as has been proven time and time again making sure your GPU is running at "full speed x16 3.0" on the PCIe slot will make little to no difference in real world testing. :rolleyes:

14. im late

im late Member

OP, I took the time to check submitted results at the furturemark website for 1080Ti graphic score for Timespy and your GPU appears to be within the score range of other ones that are at stock(ish) clocks. albeit a little slower than some.

Again i ask, what clock speed when in 3Dmode??

15. power

power Member

that particular 1080Ti is on the lower end.

i'd be interested in what a clean OS looks like.

16. im late

im late Member

I totally agree on a clean OS re-install, every time I change my GPU out, i wipe the SSD and do a clean install. all my data is in the cloud or on my NAS and I don't use many programs - plus my steam games are backed up so non-issue for me.

EDIT: I will admit this is a little extreme just to swap out a GPU, however it was a old habit from my benching days. :Paranoid:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  17. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

This. Looks like OP may have the card in a non x16 slot or mobo setting issue?

Here is my 1080Ti GPUz for reference:

[​IMG]

18. OP
    OP
    overlord_88

overlord_88 Member

This is one of the board I’ve used for testing it is in the 16x slot and this motherboard only seems to support gen 2 pcie. Windows is a fresh install from earlier in the week. Will test this with the i7 8700 on a b360 motherboard next week. I ran the test previously on a z370 HD3 with the i7 8700 and that had the most dramatic difference.

Running off a Corsair CS750M PSU.

With power limit and temp slider set to max core clock is 1873 MHz on boost and memory is at 5508.

nope likes this.
  19. im late

im late Member

Cool, press the "lookup" button in GPUz (top right hand corner) and post the link here. Keen to see what the bios states should be the boost clock versus what you are actually doing (1873) although it does appear to be the correct boost clock speed for a "vanilla" 1080ti.

20. power

power Member

wait, what's the board?