Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk (Version 6.5 - 23/MAY/2010)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by driver, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Bangers

Bangers Member

Use INT 21, AH=0B, to check Keyboard status before you try to read char.

2. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

I know what you mean about DHCP being slow. I don't know why. Probably just the old MS Client. It's pretty stone age.

yah, but the function doesn't even have any keyboard I/O in it! I think it's a compiler problem. :confused: I'm going to have a play with it anyway.

Also, if you have a USB keybaord (without BIOS PS2 emulation?), this problem will also happen. Same for on Tablet PC's too apparently so it's been reported!

3. sunesis

sunesis Member

I am getting a

Function = ReadCardDate
    Error = Illegal Function Call

I'm running from a USB disk and a floppy, both do the same thing.

Motherboard: Intel D865GLC with Pro 10/100/1000 ethernet. P13 BIOS. Tried both Celeron 2.0 and a P4 2.8. 512 RAM.

Other than this motherboard, your bootdisk works great and I use it all the time! Thanks for such a useful tool.

4. Iceman

Iceman Member

Added those 3com drivers yet .. driver? ;)

5. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

If a AT/PS2 keyboard isn't used, then it crashes. Very annoying! Esp on new laptops that seem to have (USB based) keyboards!

Iceman - nope - not yet. I've not had much time lately to work on the disk. Instead I've spent late nights at work with bootdisk in hand still cloning PC's instead :D 250 or so at least in the last few weeks. So I really do need to upgrade the disk, the crashing problem is annoying++. I've also been roped in to cloning ~20 different bloody laptops on top of standard images machines now, so I'll also be adding some xircom drivers that actually work as well :rolleyes: (realport1, rp2, combo version etc)

6. Iceman

Iceman Member

Whats this crash problem? I use a logitech MX duo (USB mouse/keyboard on the one USB plug) and I have no crashing? .. but then again I haven't got a driver loaded..

7. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

I do not know why yet. The ReadCardData function merely reads the carddata.txt file and puts the data in to an array. It has no Keyboard I/O in it.

Now... On PC's where the disk works fine, if the keyboard is unplugged it gives an error. Plug the keyboard back in and reboot and it'll work fine.

I started to notice this when setting up a new computer labs, if the keyboard/mouse plugs were backwards, or if they keyboard wasn't plugged in fully. It'd then crash, every-time - until they keyboard was reconnected. I think something is tripping up the QuickBasic compiler that was used to write the menu exe.

Perhaps your USB keyboard is using PS/2 legacy emulation in the BIOS. That might explain why it works?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  8. karmic

karmic Member

this might be *really* off the wall, and its just a guess since I know bugger all about programming. feel free to ignore me!

but keyboards have a buffer. Is it possible that the readcard function is programmed in such a way that the information it reads is meant to be stored _temporarily_ in the keyboard buffer and is then piped into whatever its piped into as if it was typed in ??

thanks for all your hard work. your disk rocks!

9. Daedalus01

Daedalus01 Member

could you please add NTFS support?

also, can i 'image' without imaging prog such as ghost? say after installing windows on compX, i used the floppy to boot up and then copy all files on the windows partition to compY. when compX fails, can i just boot up with the network floppy again and simple delete all files in windows partition and recopy the files that i already copied b4?

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

NTFS read support can be added by yourself to be boot disk. NTFS read/write support costs $$$ thus will never be included on the disk, unless driver starts taking money for the bootdisk, and paying royalties to the creators of the NTFS driver (or Ghost) etc.

11. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

cvidler pretty much summed it up.

NTFS - Just run ntfsdos off a network drive. www.sysinternals.com
    Imaging - Thats what Ghost is for. Xcopy will NOT work correctly in this respect. It will corrupt the 8.3 DOS filenames (....~1 ....~2 etc) when run. Do a google search for xcopy xposed on the PC Guide? Website.

12. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

OKay, I've finally got around to adding them iceman! :D

However that file looks like a 3COM 905x driver. Was a newer version by the looks of it, compared to what I had, so see if it works on the next version now.

I should have the new upload ready soon :) Network card selection screen is completely differnet now to allow for scrolling, so now there's no problems of not having enough space on a 80x25 charactor screen :D

And also say goodbye to Illegal Operations in ReadCardData (I hope :D)

13. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

This is work in progress....
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~bdriver/bootdisk/netboot47betaimage.zip Just for you guys. This isn't on the website yet :)

I know about the minor faults with the word wrapping in the network card comments - costmetic - yet to fix. :D

---

This version, I've added a CUSTOM1.DOS and CUSTOM2.DOS support at the bottom of the network card list. This allows you to quickly add your own driver.

To do so, get your driver.dos and driver.inf and rename them both to A:\filecopy\custom1.dos and a:\filecopy\custom1.ini then place them in the a:\filecopy\ folder.

To work out the INI file, they are almost always the same format, look at the existing ones to work it out. Most important line is the "DriverName=el90x$" where el90x is the network card driver's entry point. (if that's the correct wording.) This is normally the base filename of what the driver's file anyway.

eg e100b.dos = e100b$, el90x.DOS = el90x$ Expect for Xircom, Nforce and a few others :)

Enjoy! :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2004
  14. Iceman

Iceman Member

This version of the disk gets to the menu and crashes with the message:

Illegal function call in line: No line number in module Boot5 at address 0b73:04bc

before it lists anything. Whatever the menu was meant to set it obviously doesnt and the disk falls over :(

15. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

hmm well the error is still there then. At least it worked for me without the keyboard conneted now. Back to the drawing board :D

16. Iceman

Iceman Member

Thing is.. I didn't used to get this error. The only thing I can think to explain it is that I updated my bios yesterday and it added new USB code. That or I forgot to reset a usb related option.

17. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

btw, Iceman - That 3COM driver IS a gigabit driver, and not infact a 905x driver, even though it had the same filename. :)

18. ic32k1

ic32k1 Member

Memory Issues

Hi,

I have a laptop without a cd-rom drive and am wishing to re-install my laptop, a Toshiba Protege 2010. So i used the Network Bootdisk to try and install from my actual machine with the windows setup cd being shared on my local machine.

However when i first tried this, the setup couldn't find my actual hard drive, which i assumed was because i was running an NTFS drive on the laptop. So i used the NTFSDOS drive to try and get it working, which now loaded up my hard drive, but didn't have enough memory to run the setup. I was wondering if there were any ways in which to free up more memory (I have disabled most of the extras) or if there was any version out which didn't use so much memory.

Also if my laptop Hard Drive was running FAT32, by using the bootdisk would I automatically be able to run my hard drive and then not have to worry about using NTFSDOS or would i need to run something else to access a FAT32 hard drive.

Thanx

Mark

Last edited: Feb 27, 2004
  19. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

I would format the laptop hdd as FAT32, then run setup again. Then just convert the partition to NTFS when your done.

20. Daedalus01

Daedalus01 Member

i got it to work, can map drives and view other comps. however, how do i copy files from the client to the server? i use the dos command "copy" but it only copies files from a drive, and not the folders and subfolders

at teh site there is no help or guide, can someone pls help me?

i also need help in adding ntfsdos to it. thnks