Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk (Version 6.5 - 23/MAY/2010)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by driver, Dec 27, 2001.

1. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Copy NTFS-DOS on to a network share, and then run it from there.

eg:
    N:\> net use g: \\server\share
    N:\> g:
    G:\> ntfsdos.exe

2. Edward2005

Edward2005 Member

problems with bootdisk and logging into the network

Okay, first time user and my first post.

I have been trying to get the disk to log me into the network. I the advanced DNS settings turned on as I am logging into a windows 2000 active directory server. The network I am connecting to supports DNS, DHCP, etc. My network cards (3com 3c905, Intel 10/100 pro) are correctly detected on the two computers I tried the boot disk on. But when I try to log into the computer using my user id and password, it hangs on the password screen (currently there are no passwords used in this network).

What would be causing the boot process to hang at the password prompt? The network configuration stuff appears to start up okay. Is it a lack of memory? Help me if you can.

Edward Letendre.

3. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

I had similar problems, so I logged out the user that the menu system logged in as, and logged in as another user, and it worked perfectly.

Here is my logon.bat file for your reference:

Code:
    net logoff
    net logon ghost ghost /savepw:no
    net USE I: \\tomcat\images
    pciscan ndis.map
    I:

if %PCI0%==E100B goto CDM
    if %PCI0%==EL90X goto 300
    if %PCI0%==SMC1211 goto APT
    echo Not sure which PC to clone, ending at I drive.
    echo To run ghost, type 'ghost' at the command prompt.
    goto end

:CDM
    ghost.exe -sure -rb -clone,mode=load,src=i:\cmd.gho,dst=1
    goto end
    :300
    ghost.exe -sure -rb -clone,mode=load,src=i:\300.gho,dst=1
    goto end
    :APT
    ghost.exe -sure -rb -clone,mode=load,src=i:\apt.gho,dst=1
    goto end

:end
    Hope this helps a little.

andy

4. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Why don't you just change the username/password within the menu in the first place?

5. Edward2005

Edward2005 Member

user id and passowrd

Actually as I said before, I have tried different user ids and passwords within the menu at the login screen and it appears to hang at the login prompt. The user id and password are filled in and then it asks for a password a second time and at that point, you can enter anything you like but nothing happens. The keyboard clicks at that point as you enter a value. So it appears to lock up for me after the login. I will try a login script, but could someone tell me why it locks up in the first place and tell me what I need to do to fix this problem. Could it be low memory?

Edward Letendre.

6. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Because for some reason, even if I enter the correct values, it doesn't work. This, however, works perfect for me - everytime :)

andy

7. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Bizare. I've never seen it do that. What hardware / network card does it do this on?

8. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

I have no idea why it does that, but it does it on 3 completely different machines.

It's loging into a Linux box... so I don't know exactly what spec it is, but all I know is that for me to login successfully, I have to do that.

Either way, it seems to work. I tried the same CD I've made on my home network and it works fine.

I am going to give our Linux guru a list of things that don't work - I dare say it's his fault, not yours at all.

andy

9. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Interesting - In that case - what version of Samba is running on Linux?

It works okay for E-Smith 6.0 / beta3 6.0 though. Not sure of that version that is samba wise though.

10. Iceman

Iceman Member

:O Drivers sold out!!

Has anyone had success putting this on a USB stick? My kingmax drive has given me such headaches getting it bootable that I've not experimented far.

iirc, the steps I took originally was to give the drive a boot sector then copy over an already made network boot disk..

11. Edward2005

Edward2005 Member

trying different boot disks and some success but help!!!

I have tried uniersal TCP/IP network bootdisk, but the program locks up when I try to enter my user id and password (as stated earlier). I tried another boot disk (the one made by Bart). Anyway, that boot disk made it farther in that I could log onto the network and my user id and password were accepted as long as I connected to the network as a workgroup rather than a domain. The network is running within an Active server domain (windows 2000) and everthing connects okay within windows 98 and windows XP. However if I connect to the server via the boot disk and connect as a domain, I get error 5, permission denied.

Some research I did on the error 5 indicates that windows 2000 active directory does not like a non secure connection to the server and its active directory. I was thinking that could be why I am locking up with the tcp/ip boot disk as there is no secure connection. However, I did disable the need for a secure connection when logging in (as in the microsoft directions from their website) and still the same result. Has anyone had any luck connecting a windows 98 client to a windows 2000 active directory computer to ghost their machine? The other possibility in this situation could be a lack of memory. In my case, I have tried the tcp/ip boot disk on a computer that ran windows xp with an intel pro 100 network card and a windows 98 computer running a 3com 3c905-tx network card. In both cases, the login process stops when it asks for a user id and password. I press the enter key to accept the choices (in my case user id is curtis and password is blank). The computer will then respond and ask me to enter the password again for the domain (in my case SQL3). At this point, there is a * symbol infront of the password request. No matter what I type at this point, the password is never accepted and comuter appears to hang. When I type anything or press any key, I hear beeps from the internal speaker on the computer. I watched the process from this point on for over half an hour to see what would happen and nothing happens at this point no matter what I do.

Can someone give me some advice as to what I might be doing wrong? I would love to get this boot disk to work so I can image my drives through norton ghost to get a backup on the server.

Another concern I have at this point is that no matter what boot disk I use, I cannot see my local hard drives (a c drive and a d drive, the d drive is a cd rom drive). When I type c: and press enter, nothing is found from the boot disk. Is there a reason as to why this error occurs?

Edward Letendre.

12. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

ummmmm, I will have to look in to that.

This long weekend for Easter means I'll be spending some time to update/fix the disk to v5.3

13. baylox

baylox Member

pxe-boot

I know that the disk won't work when booting through a pxe, but is this something that can possibly be fixed in a future update?

I've tried myself to create a larger image of the disk for use with pxe and exchanged the msdos and io.sys files (along with command.com in the boot.zip file, for that matter) with win98se equivalents to get it to boot anyway, but once I reach the network shares I can't run any programs: fdisk, gdisk, driveimage... Could this be a problem with the win98 files I've put in there or is it something else? When I boot with original files from a floppy it works like a dandy, but pxe is so convenient... :)

Thanks - and thanks for a superb bootdisk!!

14. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Blame M$ for PXE booting not working - I can't even get a empty XP bootdisk to boot.

However, it's possible to mod the bootdisk to use PC-DOS 7, which can use PXE fine. I think I may have had to use a larger image file larger than 1.44mb.

15. baylox

baylox Member

I thought as much, thanks for your response. You (or anyone else) don't happen to know where I can get PC-DOS 7 these days? (there might be an obvious answer to this, but I've never used PC-DOS before)
    EDIT: Oh, I guess I can buy it for $100... and I thought M$ were greedy. But if its the only way I guess I have to splash. :)

Thanks for answering so quickly Brad - looking forward to 5.3!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  16. Edward2005

Edward2005 Member

using the boot disk with windows 98 workstation

I have been trying to get the boot disk to work with my windows 98 workstation. I have tried another boot disk from Bart (cannot remember the name of the disk right now). I managed to connect to a windows NT network with bart's boot disk but I cannot connect to a windows 2000 network that is using Active Directory. When I tried your boot disk, I cannot event connect to the windows NT network (using a different domain and the admin account). Your boot disk could not tell the difference between a domain and a workgroup (I was trying to connect to the domain itself, not a work group).

Once I connect to the widows NT domain with a standard boot disk, everything is okay but I cannot connect to any of the other domains (especially with windows 2000). I realize that there is a security issue (from what I have read on the web site in regards to how windows 2000 and windows 2003 networking has been setup). However, I have also heard that it maybe possible to connect to a windows 2000 domain (active directory domain that is) if you allow the guest account to be activated. Has anyone tried this successfully?

And I mentioned this before, but I cannot see the local hard drives when I boot with any of the boot disks. I am using fat 32 on the local drives, but when I boot up with the boot disk, the c drive is not there. I have even had a hard time to get the machine to start up from the c drive once in a while, after I used any of the boot disks, its as if the c drive disappears completely.

I created a standard boot disk from a windows xp home workstation and tried to boot to the c drive on my windows 98 machine, but even with that disk, I cannot see the local hard drives. Is there a reason as to why I cannot see the local hard drives.

Is there anything I can to to get my fat 32 drives to appear with a windows xp boot disk? Will I have any problems with my windows XP drives? I am not sure at this point if the windows xp drives are formated as fat 32 or NTFS.

Edward Letendre.

17. revhed

revhed Member

Hi Driver,

Having trouble with a network card being detected on a Toshiba Tecra A3.

It's a Marvell Yukon controller (internal) but the driver doesn't detect it.

We are not sure, but the laptop may be using a pci-express interface for the card and I was wondering if this may be the reason for the problems?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

18. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

VERSION 5.3.1... has now been released.

V5.3.1
    * Menu Saving/Timeout stuffup corrected (opps!!)

v5.3
    * eg1064.ini Fixed
    * Edited Xircom descriptions
    * Removed useless temp files LOGFILE.TXT, SETTEMP.BAT from Compressed Archive
    * Removed xcopy.exe, cmospwd.exe, DOSKEY - Sorry, running out of 1.44MB Space!
    * Added 167D autodetection ID for B57.DOS
    * Added more autodetection ID's for LinkSys EG1064
    * Added more autodetection ID's for Pro 1000
    * Updated Broadcomm B57 Driver
    * Updated Intel Pro 100 Driver
    * Updated Intel Pro 1000 Gigabit Driver
    * Updated Realtek 8169 Gigabit Driver (v1.04)
    * Updated Marvell/Yuken driver
    * Updated 3Com Megahertz 589E driver
    * Updated AMDtek FastNIC driver

Get your copy @ www.netbootdisk.com/download.htm

19. revhed

revhed Member

Hi Driver,
    Just downloaded the new version and tried to create a new disk. I get an error while running the makedisk batch file.
    Any suggestions?

relevant error text:

20. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Dunno about that one - seems your computer is not healthy?