Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk (Version 6.5 - 23/MAY/2010)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by driver, Dec 27, 2001.

1. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Update: Version 2.2 is ready.

Turns out, that I managed to include the wrong menu EXE in the last version (v2.1) ZIP file. Opps! :rolleyes:

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper Member

kewl as! :) whats gonna be in the next version? :D

3. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Ghost Multi-cast Support, ie adding packet driver support, which looks like it's going to be a bit tricky :)

4. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

Look at www.bootdisk.com

Hi Driver

Good Effort - so far.

Missing a few drivers:-
    - AMD PCNET - pcntnd.dos
    - Accton NDIS Drivers (found integrated into IBM and other desktops)
    - Didn't see the Intel 825xx Chipsets listed.
    - PCCARD/PCMCIA Cards such as Xircom (now Intel) Realport 10/100 NIC.

I suggest that you check out www.bootdisk.com - unless you already have - as there are plenty of excellent resources there.

One of the links is to http://www.bovistech.com/disks.htm which is one of my favourites.

Keep up the good work.

PM me if you want more info on the one's I have listed above.

5. SoundOff

SoundOff Member

network login & pass ??

What does the help file mean about having to have a network username and password ? I am running a peer to peer network, not logging into any server so what password do i use ?

Or is this just saying you must have a username and pass .. dont matter what it is ? Just like if you dont logon to windiws with a U/N and pass you wont be able to browse the network ?

btw thanks for adding my drivers ;)

6. Iceman

Iceman Member

Sounds like a great idea, I wish I had time to test it before I leave..

7. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

kiwimeat:

Intel 825xx's chipsets should work with the Pro100 driver, it did for mine 82557 card anyway.

I hadn't added any PCMCIA cards yet because I don't have a laptop do test it with, so I wasn't sure about having to load PCMCIA card services etc. I can look in to this.

I'll try and add the AMD / Acctron drivers too. Only problem is that disk space is starting to get a bit rare! :p

8. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Re: network login & pass ??

For a p2p network, just enter anything you like (as if it was like the Win98 logon box)

For a domain/server based network you'll need to use a correct username/password in order to access the domain's resources. If you enter the WRONG password, the disk/script/drivers/TCP-IP will still work, however you won't be able to access the domain.

9. SoundOff

SoundOff Member

no luck ..

i just tried the new version with both my SMC EtherEZ 8416 card (using SMC 8000 driver) and my Acer ALN-325 (using both ALN-325 driver and Realtek 8139 auto detected driver)

neither worked, i still get "an internal error has occurred" then the new help suggestions you have added.

weird thing is, it must be working somewhat because i tried to boot my other machine as 192.168.0.2 while this machine was running (which uses 192.168.0.2) and this machine reported that there was a conflict on that IP address so it must be close to working ?

One thing i did notice - when i make a boot disk from win98 SE 3 of the files you mention arent on the disk, so i just copied them over from c:\windows. could this havge anything to do with it ? I think the files were ifshlp.sys and emm386.exe. cant remember what the third one was.

anyway lemme know if you got any ideas - would love to get this working. Especially with the SMC cards cos i got 4 machines using those.

10. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Re: no luck ..

Make a Windows 98 Start-Up Disk using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. This will make the disk bootable, and copy the extra files as well. Then follow the rest of the instructions for making the disk.

As for the acer card, thats interesting, maybe the realtek NDIS2 driver aren't fully "generic" :confused: I have a (different) Acer card here somewhere, I'll have to try it and experiment. Either way, I'll include Acer's driver in the next update anyway now because I've managed to make another ~90k of space! :)

Do you have a SMC EtherEZ 8416's .DOS driver file you can send me as well?

11. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

12. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Working on Bugfixes

The next version is almost ready. :cool: Just a few things I need to check on....

Has anyone had problems with the disk failing because of "Out of Environment Space" error messages?

Has anyone got the SiS 900 Driver to work? (appears to load okay, but won't map drives. ipconfig says the DHCP lease has expired??)

D-Link 530 -- Anyone got this working? :)

13. NormM

NormM Member

Re: Working on Bugfixes

I have my DFE530TX+ working fine. As said a while ago, it uses the dlkrts.dos driver. I sent you a copy of the working dlkrts.ini file a while ago. Sing out if ya want me to resend it to ya.

14. William

William Member

Before I try this wonderful boot disk:D, could someone please tell me if I can do this with it:

1) use boot disk on computer A
    2) run win2k on computer B
    3) use WinRAR on computer B to backup everything on computer A if the two are networked via crossover

Thanks!!:D

15. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Using the bootdisk, you can't share the local drives in that machine so other machines on the network can connect to it. You can however use the bootdisk to connect to other machines.

What I would do is compress your data to the RAR file (on computer B) then share it, so computer A could then connect to the share, and inturn you could copy the file across.

16. William

William Member

Thanks!
    If I boot up with the boot disk, can I 'send' everything on the boot disked computer to a win2k machine??

17. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Yes. Just map a network drive using NET USE x: \\computer2\share etc, then use the copy DOS commands to transfer the files to the other machine. Don't try and copy your entire hard drive this way, as copy/xcopy may/will mix up the 8.3 "~1" shorten filenames, which is not good for window's registry references and so on. For a complete disk image, use something like Ghost or drive image pro. You can get these programs to image the drive and dump it to a file over a network share using the bootdisk.

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper Member

ummmmm isn't the latest ver 2.3?:

for making a disk here: netboot22_2.zip

shouldn't that dl the netboot23_2.zip or whatever the filename is...? or coudl u plz post a direct link to the laster ver in here...tah

19. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

No 2.2 still. Bigpond hosting screwed up last week -- the netboot22.zip would not download, had to re upload it with a different filename. It's the same contents. (Don't know why it screwed up cause I hadn't touched it, but then again I don't know why BPA screws up so much full stop :p)

Ah shit! -- just noticed then -- History says Version 2.3 -- should've said Version 2.3 (Next Version). :eek:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2002
  20. Iceman

Iceman Member

So wheres 2.3 driver? :)

btw, a win98 boot disk is proving rather hard to find, the one I made with my install of 98 was still missing quite a few of the files listed ifshlp.sys for example and strangley emm386 too?