Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk (Version 6.5 - 23/MAY/2010)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by driver, Dec 27, 2001.

1. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Today I added the following drivers,
    * Intel Pro 10,
    * AMD PCnet,
    * Compex RT100TX,
    * NE2000 (set to IRQ=10, I/O=300)
    * Cute MOUSE driver

SMC8000 driver has also been updated, hopefully it'll work with SoundOff's card. :)

And at this stage, there is a IDE CD-ROM driver, but I don't know if i'm going to keep it there, cause of space issues.

2. SoundOff

SoundOff Member

cheers driver :) i wil test out the new disk tonight and let you know how it goes.

i think a text editor would be really handy, i cant see the point of a mouse driver what do you ened a mouse for ?

cdrom support would be useful for the purpose of reinstalling OS's etc but generally your gonn have a normal bootdisk on hand for that sort of thing anyway.

3. SoundOff

SoundOff Member

just a thought ...

driver

as people start using win9x less and less i think a really useful addition to the bootdisk would be to add NTFSdos or similar to make the disk functional with win2k and XP installs that have formatted to NTFS

have you considered this as an addition to your disk ?

4. SoundOff

SoundOff Member

driver,

I tried that beta version you sent me last night. It still doesnt work with my SMC EtherEZ 8416

the card uses the SMC Ultra module under smoothwall linux if thats any help ? Its really strange because your disk detects the chipset and IRQ / IO all correct it just cant get a connection to the network going

A coupe of bugs still in that beta ..

1. the mysterious extra . in the Gateway still appears as i mentioned before.

2. the way you have the new "login script" set up means that if your card isnt working your machine wil freeze. ie when mine boots up it tried to run the net view command as soon as the bootdisk is finished and because the network connection isnt working net view just sits there with teh machine totally frozen. ctrl alt del wont even restart the machine, you have to power down. I tested whether it would time out by leaving it over night but after 9 hours the machine was still frozen trying to run a net view.

5. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Ghost has mouse support. Mouse driver is only 4k of space uncompressed, so it doesn't take up that much space.

I've added a Text Editor, TE.EXE from FreeDOS. Eats about 50k. Probably worth the space cause text editors can come in handy. :)

Thats what I was thinking. :)

Can always connected to a networked CD-ROM drive.

NTFSdos is way to big to fit on the disk itself, however, I'm guessing that you'd be able to start it from a network drive. Eg, you connect to another computer share containing NTFSdos then you load it from there.

If free space gets really tight, then the optional stuff like Text Editor / Mouse Driver may have to be moved to a remote network drive / optional 2nd disk?

hmm interesting. Do you have the original driver disk that came with the card?

I know :)

As for the Logon Script there is nothing new here...I'm guessing the Client itself did a dodgy :confused:

Try Cntrl-C / Control+Break ?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2002
  6. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Excellent News....

I've just been able to load local IDE CD-ROM support from a network drive! :cool:

Therefore can have CD-ROM support without using FDD space!

7. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Verison 3.0 Beta

Okay, just uploaded Version 3.0 Beta.

Major Changes Include:
    * More Drivers, now 35 different drivers actually, including a few 3COM & Xircom PC Cards.
    * Greatly modified the Menu System for ease of use.
    * Added Mouse Driver.
    * Added Text Editor (Terse, only 4k!).
    * Added Packet Driver = Ghost MULTICASTING Support!
    * Can Disable DNS to save memory
    * Can Disable Packet Driver to save memory
    * Basic script debug logging to logfile.txt on ram disk

Consider as a Beta for the time being, as I haven't done much real world testing of this version yet.

Download the files for the disk here: http://users.bigpond.net.au/driver/bootdisk

As for adding NTFSdos, it's way to big to fit on to the disk, so I'd try to load it from a mapped network share. And local CD-ROM support: I will shortly be releasing an add-on/instructions on how to load CD-ROM drivers from a mapped network drive.

Also the menu system now has two "hidden" features: F11 = DOS Shell, F12 = Text Editor for on-the-fly debugging/modifications.

Enjoy :cool:

8. E2EKI3L

E2EKI3L Member

can I use this to access a ghost file on my other computer to restore it?

I have it backup at 5am everyday over the LAN to my other computer, would ghost fit on the disk with your stuff on it (I think its like ~700k)

I have a intel 100B and I don't think you need a packet driver because I'm only acessing a remote share, not through ghosts tcp/ip option.

9. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Yes you can use Ghost with it -- It's what i use the disk for 99% of the time. :)

Store GHOST.EXE in the network share along with your ghost images (the floppy only has 1k free on it!)

Then....
    1) Boot computer to "clone to" with bootdisk
    2) map a drive to the server's share that contains ghost and the image files. eg:\> net use g: \\server\ghost
    3) run Ghost, select image, then dump to disk, etc.

-------------------------------

On another note, today at work whilst trying to do exactly this, I discovered a horrible bug in v3.0 beta: When a non-autodetected card is used...well...it doesn't work. :p One of those minor issues causing major problems :D

Also discovered why some people might've been having problems with driver's failing to load due to "not enough memory" or other similar messages. Appears Double Space was automatically being loaded if it was found on C: drive.

I will be updating the disk tonight with these two fixes included. :)

10. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Version 3.01 Beta

Uploaded a new version with fixes for the problems that were picked up today.

Download from http://users.bigpond.net.au/driver/bootdisk

Note: Website/download page / filename still says version 3.0 but the contents have been updated. (as of ~10:30PM EST)

11. SoundOff

SoundOff Member

Driver,

new version is very nice ! works perfectly on my SMC EtherPower card and my Acer ALN235.

Still no go with the old SMC card though, and I had to disable the multicast?? support because otherwise i got an out of memory error (only tested on the machine with the SMC EtherEZ 8416 - from then on it just defaulted to being disabled)

Also it still hangs when you try to run a net view with a card that isnt working properly .. have to power down the machine

works great on both my 10/100 cards tho !

12. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Yeah I made it so it defaults to the last value, so having to reboot/etc wouldn't mean having to re-enter all the values.
    It shouldn't :confused:

Actually, the 8416 card, when the driver for it loads and it says the IRQ & I/O, the line below says the something about the card mode, does it say Mapped I/O or Direct I/O or something like that?

Failing that, might get you to come around on the weekend if you want.

13. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

And JaVa has also spotted another bug: When you have 2 NICs where 1 is autodetected, but you manually select the other card, it still loads the autodetected driver instead. Will fix this tonight. EDIT = Soon :)

Last edited: May 4, 2002
  14. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Soundoff, I've just come across a PC with a SMC 8416 card in it that wouldn't work. :( (said the card couldn't be found).

After some poking around, I was able to get it working by going in to the BIOS and settings PnP OS = No and then selecting Reset PnP configuration.

Upon next bootup with the disk, it then worked perfectly! :) Maybe this will work for you too?

15. SoundOff

SoundOff Member

heres what it says

SMC Ethernet Adapter DOS NDIS Driver V4.06 (970303)

Adapter - 8416T
    I/O Base Address - 340
    IRQ - 10
    I/O Mapped mode

I tried what you said about the bios settings, no help

I am not too worried about it man, the disk works well with my 100mbit cards so i am happy ;) Maybe down the track if there is a need for me to use the disk on that computer i will worry about it ..
    thanx for your help

EDIT: it definately hangs th system when you run the logon script with the card not wokring, i have to power off every time. ctrl alt del doesnt do anything :/

16. SoundOff

SoundOff Member

success !

driver,i built up an old systemtonight out of bits, and threw another one of my SMC cards in there.

bootdisk worked first go, i am installing win95 over the network as we speak :)

must be a bios issue with the other computer, but as far as your disk goes 10/10 :)

17. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Awesome. :)

18. OP
    OP
    driver

driver Member

Version 3.1

^BUMP^ :D

I have finally got around to making a few changed to my bootdisk. (only took a few months :D)

So now the most current version is: Version 3.1

Download it here: http://users.bigpond.net.au/driver/bootdisk

Changes since 3.01 beta:
    * Menu fixed. You now can override autodetected card.
    * MS Client Tweaks (should use less RAM, hence less memory related issues in some configurations)
    * Updated CTmouse Driver
    * Updated Intel / 3COM Drivers

19. ToranaGuy

ToranaGuy Member

This should be quite usefull for me! I'm about to go expirmenting with Ghosting across a lan......

Cheers

ToranaGuy

20. nbk

nbk Member

Brad's disk just saved me a hella amount of time with a Sony vaio hdd swap. It didn't have a CD drive, so I simply booted with the disk, mapped a drive, ran ghost off the drive, dumped an image. Swapped the hdd's, and then rebooted with the disk and dumped the image back onto the new drive. Too easy.